mtbr member
    Feb 2004

rear travel on a ID

HAve the '04 ID with custom float R shock. What is the rear travel? Is it 5.25 or 6" Thinking of changing to a RP23 (7.78 with a 2.25" stroke) will this give me 6" travel. How will affect geometry?
    Thanks in advance

earth surfer
    A 2" stroke shock gives you right about 5 inches and a 2.25 stroke gives you 6. The geometry will only change with a different i2i shock. Shorter i2i means lower bottom bracket height and slacker head angle. 7.875 x 2, 7.875 x 2.25 and 7.5 x 2.0 (the cali edition) are the only supported i2i/stroke combos.

Compulsive Bike Builder

Romic, too

Quote Originally Posted by epicmtbruce
    7.875 x 2, 7.875 x 2.25 and 7.5 x 2.0 (the cali edition) are the only supported i2i/stroke combos.
    The Romic was an OE 2.25 stroke shock, I think the eye to eye on it was 8 inches.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I measured my ID fairly accurately and got 5.25" of travel with a 7.875x2" shock and 5.9" of travel with my current 7.875x2.25" RP23. This matches pretty well with what Ellsworth has told me. My Romics are both spec'd at 7.875" i2i but one is close to 8". I think it's all within tolerances cause my understanding is that they didn't make 8" shocks.

BTW - I really like the RP23.

mtbr member
    [SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"]Interesteing subject. I just e-mailed tech support at Ellsworth and they recommended 7.875 x 2.0. They suggested the Fox RP23 or the Float R.

The Romic I have on it now has a 400 x 2.25 spring on it.

Anyone have a DHX Air or Coil with a 2.25 stroke. Good or bad?
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Villalobos

Shock Recommendation Id

Not long ago, I decided to change my Romic for a Fox, so I wrote to Ells support, and received the following recommendation from Ryan:

"I would recommend the Fox Float R or RP3. The RP3 will give you the
    most
    tuning options, but the R is more than sufficient for getting the most
    enjoyment out of the Id. Measurements are 7.875" x 2.0", or for the
    California edition set up, 7.5" x 2.0". Both will give you 5.25" of
    travel.
    Hardware is 42x6mm top and 22x6mm bottom. The RP3 has to be set up with
    the
    canister side down as the adjustment lever will contact the rockers
    mounted
    right side up.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

What is my shock stroke?

Here is the shock that came stock on my ells ID. It is 7.78 i2i (its was an early '05 model year). although the shock only seems to compress to the rubber seal.......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Compulsive Bike Builder

Id Romic was 8 x 2.25

Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    My Romics are both spec'd at 7.875" i2i but one is close to 8". I think it's all within tolerances cause my understanding is that they didn't make 8" shocks.
    The Romic site, http://www.romicmfg.com/Shock%20Pg.htm, shows these sizes: 6.5" x 1.5" 7.5" x 2.0" 8.0" x 2.25" 9.0" x 2.75" 9.5" x 3.0". The 8 x 2.25 was OE on the Id, it looks like an Id that Romic shows on the shock website, sporting a 2.25 spring. I would think that a 7.875 x 2.25 would work nice on the Id. For '07 fox offers that size in the DHX Air and the Float RP23. Mabye others, too.
    [SIZE=2][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    [SIZE="3"]I was reading one of the other post from an earlier thread. The author says the DHX (coil and air) will not fit because of the reservior (?)

ID rear shock question

I don't mind guessing and doing some math to try to figure it out, but does anyone have a DHX mounted on their steed? If so, what size is the i2i and stroke? Is there any problems? How is it mounted? [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ATOMICned
    Here is the shock that came stock on my ells ID. It is 7.78 i2i (its was an early '05 model year). although the shock only seems to compress to the rubber seal.......
    It would be a 2" stroke shock. You can confirm this by: moving the o-ring up to the seal, taking all the air out of the shock, pushing down hard on your bike to bottom it, re-extending the suspension (maybe put some air in it to ensure it is fully extended), and then measure from the seal to the o-ring. It will be 2" (50 or 51mm).

Fox only came out with the 2.25" float air shocks in that i2i last year (in the rp23 only, i think). I think there was only the dhx air in 7.785x2.25 before that.

btw, if you want 6" travel with that shock, send it into push and they will extend the stroke to 2.25'.

mtbr member

sclyde is right

sclyde is correct. I have been looking at the RP3, RP23, and DHX Air/coil. Fox only made the RP3 in 2.00 stroke. The RP23 and DHX models have a 2.25. But for the Id, apparently the DHX does not fit due to a clearance problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by h2owagon
    sclyde is correct. I have been looking at the RP3, RP23, and DHX Air/coil. Fox only made the RP3 in 2.00 stroke. The RP23 and DHX models have a 2.25. But for the Id, apparently the DHX does not fit due to a clearance problem.
    While this is mostly true, Fox did make some OEM 2.25" stroke RP3's, and Push has been changing the fox float can's for years to increase travel as well. Also, sclyde2's measurement method will get you close, but it doesn't account for the internal bottom out bumper which is really hard to compress without the forces from riding. Someone else could probably let you know exactly what that would add to the measurement. It's probably a 2" shock, but I can't say for sure from what you've posted so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    While this is mostly true, Fox did make some OEM 2.25" stroke RP3's, and Push has been changing the fox float can's for years to increase travel as well. Also, sclyde2's measurement method will get you close, but it doesn't account for the internal bottom out bumper which is really hard to compress without the forces from riding. Someone else could probably let you know exactly what that would add to the measurement. It's probably a 2" shock, but I can't say for sure from what you've posted so far.

yeah, that's why i said "hard". the bumper will stop you from getting the full stroke, but it will get you within a couple of millimetres - enough to disinguish it from a 58mm stroke shock.

do you reckon push could take one of these shocks out to 60mm stroke? i'm keen to get my AVA taken out as far as possible. the id looks like it could handle a 140mm i2i bottom out, which would be over 6" travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2
    do you reckon push could take one of these shocks out to 60mm stroke? i'm keen to get my AVA taken out as far as possible. the id looks like it could handle a 140mm i2i bottom out, which would be over 6" travel.
    Give Darren at Push a call. He seems pretty open with what they can and can't do.