mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Question: lowering BB height on my Id?

Hey guys,

I have an 2003 ID and still really like the bike. I've got it set up with an adjustable 145mm fork up front and the stock ellsworth tuned fox float r in back. As I have begun riding increasingly steep technical trails the bb high height is starting bother me more.

My question is: What's the best way to lower the bb a little? Can someone recommend a particulary (no super pricey) rear shock that would help? Is this a difficult job for me to do with normal tools etc? Perhaps this would make it more like the Cali version?

I really appreciate the advice as I'd like to hold onto the bike but don't want to feel like I'm going to endo as much.

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    What i2i rear shock/model you have now?
    190mm i2i rear shock lowers bb,all tools you need is hexkey and monkeywrench.Piece of cake job.
    If you have Romic i would buy Fox just to avoid buying new redusers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Just pick you up a 7.50 x 2.0 Fox Float R and you will be rollin;' Cali Style.

If you can find one, get a Float R with the lowest of the 3 damping settings. Also, it calls for a Fox Float that isn't the LARGE air canister.

Rolling
    What fork are you running?

I like the high BB myself and the only reason I used to feel like I was going to endo is when I ran a fox vanilla 125 on the front. It would dive a lot. When I switch it with a Pike, it is way better despite raising the BB even more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I will be on the lookout for the shorter stroke Fox Float R as I have longer one currently. Alternatively, Has anyone had success with a Roco? If so, which one?

Also, lidarman: I have a Manitou Nixon Platinum (145mm) that has been pretty good ( I know many others have had issues). The problem is that I'm 5'11" with a 34.5 inch inseam and I end up putting the seat up so high that I'm a bit "perched" which can get nasty with steep rocky decents and waterbars (Frederick, MD) where I usually ride.

I hope if I Cali it that will help a bit.

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Picture of your bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    OK so it seems finding that 7.5 x 2 float r is hard to find... if anyone has one around I might be up for buying it... used or new..

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm taking a different approach to this detail. I am designing a custom rocker that will lower the BB by over an inch and reduce the travel just a hair while still using the 2.25" stroke shock. I'll post more info before it goes to the machinist.

With the new addition of a Reign X in my stable the ID is moving to pure XC duty. Hoping to get it sub 26# too. The bikes are so extremely different in feel that I think a lowering solution is the only way to keep it and I love it too much to let it go.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    I'm taking a different approach to this detail. I am designing a custom rocker that will lower the BB by over an inch and reduce the travel just a hair while still using the 2.25" stroke shock. I'll post more info before it goes to the machinist. .
    Sweet. I thought of doing that myself...then figured it's hard to do without slackening the front too much unless you use a short A2C fork. The frame head angle is a factor and that is fixed with the front triangle design.

But please show us your results.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ya I'm very curious to see how that works... and if you need anyone to do some product testing...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    unless you use a short A2C fork.
    This was the 2nd reason why I wanted to try this. There aren't many tall forks that are sub 4lbs. My AM1 is 5lbs. After looking at it in CAD, I discovered that the shorter shock only lowered the BB ~.75", and that is only if I also shorten the fork to 130mm. My current BB is 15.5" and if I'm going to be riding a 5" bike instead of a 6" bike I want it closer to 14", since XC will mean less obstacles. Also, I have found that I like riding a slack HA so I can put a 130-140mm fork from Fox/RS on it and have a HA of 67-68 deg. All of this also requires me to downsize tires to 2.1", but like I said, this bike is going XC. My frame is only 5.6lbs, so it can be reasonably light for a 5" XC bike.

The axle path is obviously changing a little, as well as the shock rate. I'm going for a decidedly more XC feel from the back with the handling of a DH bike. I'll keep you updated.

I will say that last weekend in St. George I was wishing the Reign X had a taller BB. It's only 13.8"(<13" sagged) and I think a 15" BB is far superior for technical climbing/rock crawling. The rest of the time I really dug the low slung Reign. I'm thinking that ETA forks are the wrong approach. Instead of the front of the bike going down, the back of the bike should raise up. The new Coiler frame would be a great platform to test such a system. Just setup a simple manual control for the magic link cause I'm not sure about the auto adjust. Oh the joy of frankenbikes.