mtbr member

Push'd Id w/increased stroke

The ride is fantastic. The shock glues the rear of the bike to the ground. Between the ICT and the Fox, all round riding, especially climbing, has been elevated.
    Push industries was great to deal with. They called after finding damage to my original shock body, and the upcharge for the new body and the extra travel were cheap($25 each). I usually ride solo, hence the lack of action shots. Her are some dirty still shots...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5999873...n/photostream/

Last edited by bpnic; 09-11-2007 at 08:29 PM.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

Elitest thrill junkie
    awesome, does the bike finally get the claimed 6" of travel now?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

Thanks...

Push told me 5.9". It feels like all of that.
    I will deflate and measure just for the hell of it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    So how else did Push tune the shock? Adjust propedal, etc. Or did you just get it rebuilt?

I just put a RP23 (since it was available with the longer stroke stock) on my medium ID and really like it. It might be a hair overdamped for my light weight, but I still love it as is. I run 115 psi and I'm 150. It gets really close to full travel every ride, but I've never quite hit 2.25" yet. I know it can because a friend got it to. I had a 2" stroke RP3 and it would bottom at this pressure and was too stiff at 120 psi. The propedal can be way stronger on the RP23 and the open setting is truly open. I always felt like the RP3 had some propedal even in the lightest setting and not quite enough in the highest.

I was very close to sending in my 2" stroke RP3 to PUSH, but the $175 investment into a 5 day old shock wasn't something I was psyched to do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    So how else did Push tune the shock? Adjust propedal, etc. Or did you just get it rebuilt?

I just put a RP23 (since it was available with the longer stroke stock) on my medium ID and really like it. It might be a hair overdamped for my light weight, but I still love it as is. I run 115 psi and I'm 150. It gets really close to full travel every ride, but I've never quite hit 2.25" yet. I know it can because a friend got it to. I had a 2" stroke RP3 and it would bottom at this pressure and was too stiff at 120 psi. The propedal can be way stronger on the RP23 and the open setting is truly open. I always felt like the RP3 had some propedal even in the lightest setting and not quite enough in the highest.

I was very close to sending in my 2" stroke RP3 to PUSH, but the $175 investment into a 5 day old shock wasn't something I was psyched to do.
    Initally when I got my RP3 it was pretty harsh, but after about 100 miles, my RP3 finally "broke in" and got very smooth. With that said, I have to imagine that in some time, your RP23 will feel EVEN better than it does now

...I am trying to resist the urge to go RP23...I like to think that just getting a Push mod will be just fine for now.
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=phatfreeheeler]So how else did Push tune the shock? Adjust propedal, etc. Or did you just get it rebuilt?

I didn't have propedal prior to Push, so they added it. I asked them, based on my weight, to add the propedal in a manner that the bike still uses all of it's travel but still has a small pedaling platform for my 210 pound riding weight. I wasn't sure what to expect, but they actually did it. I run it at 170-180psi most of the time and after drops, jumps, and singletrack I am just barely keeping the blue band on the shock body.
    For people that aren't sure what the Factory Push service includes, I pasted it below.

With our rebuild service, your shock is completely disassembled, cleaned, and inspected. It’s then reassembled with a new Vault seal housing, piston band, eyelet bearings, o-ring kit, Torco’s Racing Shock Fluid and finished off with a fresh nitrogen fill. Lastly, our technicians carefully apply new Push “Factory Suspension” decals.

Looking for a performance upgrade? PUSH Factory Tuning Systems include our Factory Rebuild, but then adds the installation of our performance components based on your rider weight and style, as well as year, make, and model of your frame. We also add the Propedal feature to your non-Propedal shock, or retune the Platform feature of your current Propedal unit based on your application.

Factory Rebuild Includes:

Complete Disassembly/Reassembly
    Oil/Nitrogen Fill
    O-Ring Kit
    Factory Air Seal Kit
    Push Vault Seal Housing
    Push PTFE Endless Piston Glyde Band
    R-Glyde Liner Eyelet Bearings
    PUSH Factory Suspension Decal

Factory Tuning System Adds:

PUSH Exclusive Vx Piston
    Push Multi-Phase Compression and Rebound Valving
    "Platform" Feature
    Push Zero-Bleed Piston Bolt**
    Last edited by bpnic; 10-25-2006 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the info bpnic.

Have you been noticing any harsh bottom outs with the shock? I now have plenty of break in on the shock after over 100 miles in Moab and Fruita and it is very smooth. It has developed a slight annoying squishy sound on fast compressions though. Also, I found anything bigger than a 1' drop would have a fairly harsh bottom out at 115psi (I'm maybe 160 lbs loaded to ride). I bumped it up to 120psi and am still bottoming out on anything over 18", just not as harsh. It's about the same feel as my 400 lb Romic setup, but I have to work hard to feel that bottom out. At 125psi, it feels way too stiff for my tastes and still pushes the o-ring off if I do a 2' ledge. I don't do big drops on this bike, but it's Moab/Fruita and if you ride the trails instead of walking all the time, you are going to do 2' drops occasionally on every good ride. It's still the climbing goat champ over all takers.

I don't want to hurt the bike with bottoming out, but I also want to enjoy riding the bike everywhere else. BTW - The new propedal switch is still sweet, and really doesn't affect much on bigger hits like this.

Do other air shock owners have this issue? I have always been under the impression that air shocks have more bottom out resistance, not less.

A large part of me wants an 07 Moment for the slightly lower BB and more tire clearance, but I would want to build it pretty light like my ID. ~30 lbs and 6x6. Probably w/ this RP23 because I love the propedal switch. I do a couple races per year and just swap, pedals, saddle, & tires/wheels to get it to ~28lbs. If I did more races I'd have a 3-4" 24lb FS race bike too.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=phatfreeheeler]Thanks for the info bpnic.

Have you been noticing any harsh bottom outs with the shock?

I did have similar "drop" problems with my Float prior to the rebuild. After the rebuild, I just started at 165 psi and then increased the shock pressure 2-3 psi at a time to eventually find the perfect setting.Perfect being; not losing the band on drops, but still supple enough to stay glued during climbs. I didn't think I would be able to feel a difference, but sure as sh!t, I do.
    Before and after setting were different. I ran 180 before and now I run about between 170 and 175. 172.5, I guess .