mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Push my DHX Air or go back to the coil?

OK, when I first bought my Moment, I had a DHX coil on it and liked it, but wanted to lighten the bike up so I bought a DHX Air. Since I've had the air, I've never felt like the bike has ridden as well as it did with the coil.

I'm about 200lbs. and have heard that big guys like me shouldn't use the air because because the high air volume needed for my chunky butt makes it not as smooth as the coil or as it would be for lighter guys.

So my question is, should I have push work the air over or just trade it for a coil and go back to the way things were. I use it mostly for trail riding, but will occasionally do some light freeriding on it.

Any help you can provide would be great.

Thanks.

Was that a Bobcat?
    Maybe this will help your decision, but from what i understand Push does not do any custom tuning to the DHX Air shock. I could be mistaken though.

not so super...
    Correct - no PUSH mods for the DHX Air. Just get yourself a nice Avalanche or Cane Creek Double Barrel.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    anyone know WHY they won't work on our dhx airs? I've been poking them for a year as have a few of my buddies and we get no response as to why, just a "sorry, not doing it and no plans to"

Time is not a road.
    Apparently the two shocks have different internals. It would require that they machine new parts for each...but that's just a guess. I'll see if I can get some more info on that...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Apparently the two shocks have different internals. It would require that they machine new parts for each...but that's just a guess. I'll see if I can get some more info on that...
    Even so, I'm hoping that with the popularity of the dhx air series being OEM on many 07 bikes such as the RM slayer sxc 70 and 90 as well as the Jamis XAM bikes, Intense 6.6, our moments of course and probably many more, that they will reconsider.

let us know what you find. I'm sure others would be very curious as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm 220 Lbs and I use only coil. I tried 5th element, Dhx air and nothing can replace coil for heavyweight. Put titanium coil if you want some even more smooth feeling and gain some weight.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Have you tried the smaller air can mod?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Never heard of it.

Never heard of the smaller air can mod? What is it, what's it do and what does it cost?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pork Chop Express
    Never heard of the smaller air can mod? What is it, what's it do and what does it cost?
    The mod involves replacing the main air can on the dhx with the can from an RP3. I'm curious how this would feel and stand up to heavier +200lb riders

DHX air upgraded with the RP3 air sleeve