Thread: Project Pink

not so super...

Project Pink

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/ellswor...-project-pink/

Not sure if ya'll have seen this article but I got to put 20+ miles on this bike today in Eastern TN (In the Mtn above the 96 Olympic whitewater site). I add my 90x0 thomson stem and my saddle and post to make sure it was comfortable for me.

Fit & Geometry: I must have said this 100 times today "This cannot be a Large frame." Both my Joker and Moment were mediums and felt longer/bigger than this frame and I had 70mm stems on them. I'm 5'7" and if I were o purchase this frame I'd get the large. There is not denying that this frame is geared toward XC riders/racers, especially as spec'd.

Suspension: The best way to describe it is compliant but not plush. It took a good bit of force to get through the initial 1/3 of the shock stoke. After that point is was more forgiving. The suspension had a tendency to "bump" over roots/rocks in the trail instead of absorbing them like I'm used to.

Build kit: The wheels were horrible. Extremely flexy and felt like they had 4 engagement points! They are 28 spoke WTB laser disc trails. Better wheels would have improved the steering and cornering prowess a bunch. The Fox F29 was nice but I'd rather see the 120 version up front. The 100 contributed to the XC racer feel. The juicy 5's stop the bike but have an on-off feel. Not much modulation to be had. The Nevegals had good traction but felt like boat anchors. They just don't roll all that well in the S.Eastern hardpack. I really liked the Ergon grips. I didn't think I would but they grew on me. Nothing else in the kit was exceptional nor did it give me problems.

Last edited by SSINGA; 08-09-2008 at 08:15 PM.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm surprised they didn't send the bike with the Ellsworth wheels and chose to spec it with the WTBs instead. Well, at least the picture is nice. So you're saying this one ain't no Sultan, El Rey, or RIP9 then? Did it feel like an elongated Truth?

not so super...
    I've never ridden the ElRey, RIP9 or Truth so it's hard to say. The only thing I can compare it to is My wife's XCish Turner XCE. The XCE is way more plush with a 115mm Reba up front. The Sultan I rode with the F135 up front felt more like my 5.5 Spot.

Maybe the Evolve would benefit from a HV air can on the rear shock???
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like it may benefit from a HV sleeve or a PUSH tune to lower the compression but the curve would then make it blow through the rest of the travel really fast.

I do like the part about the "4 engagement points"- that was good! Well, it will be good to read what Robb and anyone else thinks as well.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    The suspension had a tendency to "bump" over roots/rocks in the trail instead of absorbing them like I'm used to.
    Thank you propedal and pedaling "platforms". I can't even begin to describe how annoying that trait is when your trying to just ride your bike, epecially when you're climbing and the trail is not paved (smooth). This has nothing to do with your bike, and everything to do with the shock. After riding avalanche for a few months, I'm on a new RP23 until I get the avalanche resized, but the difference is huge. It's SO nice to just be able to pedal through rocks and roots without feeling like you're getting "bucked" every single time, and then you add the propedal or turn it "on" for an even worse ride (more of the same). How this stuff caught on I know not...

Sure, it doesn't bob, but dear god you literally RAM the rear wheel against every bump and you don't just keep going forward with that much compression damping.

I'm sure Push can turn it around...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I am waiting to get the loaner Industry Nine's on the bike before I make a complete assessment. Some of the riding characteristics are hard to nail down because the wheels are that bad. 4 point engagement is no lie on how they really feel. It also feels like the rear is about to fold over on itself everytime you really push it into the turns. I warned SS before he jumped on the bike about them and it was his first very vocal complaint when he got back...I think it went something like..."These wheels suck!"

Here is my post on the wheels with video!

WTB LaserDisc 29er

Here is an update post on the Ellsworth as well. Let me know what you guys think so far.

Ellsworth Project Pink Update

I emailed WTB and never heard a thing back from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Thank you propedal and pedaling "platforms". I can't even begin to describe how annoying that trait is when your trying to just ride your bike, epecially when you're climbing and the trail is not paved (smooth). This has nothing to do with your bike, and everything to do with the shock. After riding avalanche for a few months, I'm on a new RP23 until I get the avalanche resized, but the difference is huge. It's SO nice to just be able to pedal through rocks and roots without feeling like you're getting "bucked" every single time, and then you add the propedal or turn it "on" for an even worse ride (more of the same). How this stuff caught on I know not...

Sure, it doesn't bob, but dear god you literally RAM the rear wheel against every bump and you don't just keep going forward with that much compression damping.

I'm sure Push can turn it around...
    I agree with you on this one 100%. Even back in the day when I owned a Flux...I never used the ProPedal settings. I found that I climbed better with better traction. It was worth the very little bit of efficiency loss. Having ridden multiple forks and shocks tuned by Push...I can say that they would greatly improve the ride. They always do.