Trail rider and racer

A preview of the Ti Truth perhaps = Merlin Works540

I was looking at another forum and stumbled across this picture. I figured since Ellsworth are releasing a Ti Truth and that since Merlin are supposedly making them then this would be the closest thing to what we could expect:

I very much like what I see:

Trev!

In FTF We Trust
    Something about that frame rubs me wrong, maybe it's the top tube/seat tube braces... The "new" Merlin decals are really cheesy too. Great idea, missing something in the execution though. Hopefully the Ellsworth version will look better.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Ti is addictive
    What's frame pricing of that beast?????

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i think it's between US 4-5k. budget frame for the budget-minded no less!

Ti is addictive
    well I can't see them selling more then 30-50 of those things at that price. So Elitist it is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Flame me if you must but....what is the point in a titanium full suspension? Aluminum/Scandium is lighter.

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan-S
    Flame me if you must but....what is the point in a titanium full suspension? Aluminum/Scandium is lighter.

No flames intended..........

When was the last time you ever saw or heard of a Ti frame(in this case front triangle) Fail/Break/crack... (This does not include discussion on Aluminum rear triangles on all DS frames)

If you've ever had a thin walled AL/Scandium frame (be it HT or DS) you may have noticed the odd dent/divet over time.

Ti gives you a slight sense of smoothness whether it is HT or DS (and yes I have owned aluminum and scandium bikes and can attest to this)

If you're into it, I guess bling or exclusivity would be a factor as well.

Warrantee's on Ti frames are usually lifetime for original owner (especially nice for boutique bikes-----on dualies non-existent anymore)

Bad things for Ti DS frames are gain in weight(most AL/SC/CF versions are a 1/4 lb lighter at least then Ti counterpart, price, availablity, and loss of resale comparitively to original price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Something about that frame rubs me wrong, maybe it's the top tube/seat tube braces... The "new" Merlin decals are really cheesy too. Great idea, missing something in the execution though. Hopefully the Ellsworth version will look better.
    couldn't agree more. Wats up with that weird looking brace? instead of fabricating a dedicated brace, looks to me like they just cut 2 pieces out of their stock tubing and welded them on. and to quote them "The Works 4.0 is the culmination of intense research and testing to find the ultimate XC bike.".... so their intense research + testing = a borrowed rear end + 2 tubes welded on.

i still dig their frames, very classy and exquisite especially their engraved frames. the old merlin XLM was the shiat! as for the new Works decals, too hip-looking. well, guess they're trying to appeal to a bigger market