mtbr member
    Feb 2007

New question here. Pre 2000 Truth ADVICE

Hi Guys.

I really want to buy this frame on Ebay.
    Can you guys tell me what the difference between this frame and the newer models as far as peformance?
    Also, are the rocker arm, chain stay etc, replaceable with the newer models from Ellsworth?
    Do they have the same geometry?
    Anything else I should know about.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CharikoMoFo!; 03-13-2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to put picture

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    what year is that frame supposed to be? i'd guess 98 or 99 maybe.

it has bushings instead of bearings on the pivots, which i think gives it a stiffer ride, but may need to be replaced ($75 for a bushing kit, iirc)

i have a 2000, which i still love, and which has many more nics and dents than that one.

Are you talking to me?

Forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by CharikoMoFo!
    Hi Guys.

I really want to buy this frame on Ebay.
    Can you guys tell me what the difference between this frame and the newer models as far as peformance?
    Also, are the rocker arm, chain stay etc, replaceable with the newer models from Ellsworth?
    Do they have the same geometry?
    Anything else I should know about.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tuck

Bushings instead of bearings. Different shock sizes. Rockers, chain/seat stays are all different, as is the front triangle. There is SUPPOSED to be a lifetime warranty to teh original owner on that frame, but there was a big stink about seat tubes cracking where the shock mount is welded.

Not a chance.
    gfy

Leash Law Enforcer

Get it!

Biggest difference is bushings v. bearings. IMO, the old Truths with the bushings rode better than the newer ones with bearings. IMO, the bushings are more durable and easily replaceable than the bearings. I had a 2000 bushing Truth for 6 years and never had a need to replace the original bushings. These frames never had breakage problems either, unlike the frames that came 1-2 years after them. From the pic, it looks like it is in good condition for how old it is.

The downside - There are no replacement parts for this frame any longer (other than bushings and der. hangers). Warranty service can be sketchy as detailed in this forum in numerous threads.

Overall, if the price is fair, I would have no qualms purchasing this frame. The old Truths were solid, reliable frames that rode very well.
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Don't do it! Those were prone to breaking, I broke mine. I'd look for a newer one the beefed up seat tube. JMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Ryder
    Don't do it! Those were prone to breaking, I broke mine. I'd look for a newer one the beefed up seat tube. JMO.
    are you talking about a 98 or a 99? or are you just talking about the well-known 2001 model, which clearly does not apply to this frame?

mtbr member
    If that is a 2001 model go for it. I hav 01 model and it kicks ass
    "Live, Live, Live!. Life is a banquet but most poor suckers are starving to death!!!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by biotruth
    are you talking about a 98 or a 99? or are you just talking about the well-known 2001 model, which clearly does not apply to this frame?
    Mine was a '99, I'm pretty sure. It cracked on the seat tube just above the upper shock mount.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Jase810
    If that is a 2001 model go for it. I hav 01 model and it kicks ass
    It's pre 2001. The 2001 models are doomed to fail. If yours looks like that, it's not a 2001.

The pre-2001 models have failed but not as likely as the 2001 models are.

If yours hasn't yet, and you ride often, lucky you.

This is what the 2001 frame looks like

I think this is the first year version

Last edited by lidarman; 03-14-2007 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thank you all for the helpful advice.

2001 models are that bad hun?
    What if you weigh 130lbs and is for xc use only?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

'01's not that bad

Quote Originally Posted by CharikoMoFo!
    Thank you all for the helpful advice.

2001 models are that bad hun?
    What if you weigh 130lbs and is for xc use only?
    There are about 5 versions/permutations of the "00/01" Truths, so can't lump them all into one category of 'bad'. The biggest problem was with the size Large front triangle, seemed like mellow riders where breaking those. I have a retired medium '01 truth with over 6k miles on it, some it hard miles and many crashes. Chainstay was replaced after it had a hairline crack in it, but the front triangle is fine. Had a bad crash on it when i over shot the tranny on a chest high double jump, landed pointing 45 degrees straight down onto the flat. Thought for sure the headtube was going to snap but the bike came out fine.

The Truths truly didn't get stronger till the '04 low leverage ratio models.