mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Platform shock for 01 Truth ?

Hello, I'm just rebuilding my Truth from 2001, which hasn't been used for far too long.

It has one of the old Fox Float R shocks, which is still working perfectly well, but I'm wondering if a more modern platform shock wouldn't help , like a Fox RP23.

Did anyone try this on such an early Truth model ?
    The 2001 has 4" of travel and the fully active design, the shock is 165mm long mount to mount.

Thank you from Germany !

mtbr member
    I replaced the Cane Creek AD10 with a Fox RP3 a while back (~6 yrs ago) on my '01 Truth SE without issues. The RP3 was a noticeable improvement over the AD10, but I'm not certain that moving to a RP23 will be noticeably better than your Float R if it is working properly/serviced recently?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the reply.
    My Float R is working fine, I'd just like to eliminate some bobbing.

I'm also considering push tuning , those newer Fox shocks go at crazy prices on ebay ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I replaced the non platform shock on my 02 Truth ( which is probably the same as your 01 ) with a 05 RP3 . I prefer the non platform shock , the little bobbing makes the bike feel livelier and tracks better .

On a similar notes I got a rp23 off Ebay for my 2005 moment , and it sucked . It was only after sending it to Push that it rode well .

My 2004 Truth came with a ( generic looking ) FOX AVA with propedal, the 2002 non propedal Truth felt better .

I suspect that ict frames are designed for the low levels of Propedal damping found in the Ellsworth tuned factory shocks . ( usually there is like a three bar graph and its on low )

But Hey , am not an expert its just my FR on the bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Push is selling a custom valved Rock Shock Monarch for around $325. I don't know how much the ICT design has changed, but I test rode a Glimpse recently and was surprised to see that it didn't have propedal. Surprised in that I thought it did, because I couldn't feel any bobbing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I installed a low volume 09 RP23 on my 05 Id

And am liking it.

I get in and out of the saddle on the long steep fireroad climbs I regulary ride so the option to flip a switch stand up and hammer with less bob is a noticeable improvement. At the same time, this option to engage a platform lets me get away with running lower air pressures making plusher feel for the downhills and technical climbs when I flick it off. If I'm going to be riding rolling technical terrain I typically just add +/- 10 psi and leave the propedal off the entire time.

That's just my experience. YMMV, particularly considering the reduced travel and different geo of the truth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thank you, good stuff !

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I've been away from the forum for a while...

Platform shocks are band-aids for short comings in suspension designs, albeit very effective band-aids. Prior to platform shocks the Horst-Link design ruled. But even today efficient designs such as HL, DW, Maestral, and VPP are still producing the best bikes.

I had the old pre-2000 bushing Truth with Canecreek AD & Float R non-platform shocks and it didn't bob even when pedaled standing up. The later Truths with bearings have a tiny bit of bob but it was much more active so I think the trade off was well worth it. They still ran great without Propedal.

Later I purchased an XS Truth for my wife and she just didn't have enough weight to leverage the suspension effectively without using extremely low PSI so I sent the Propedal Float R shock to PUSH. The first thing PUSH did was removing the Propedal valving in the shock. Their comment was although Ellsworth's version of Float spec'd a lower degree of Propedal the suspension design does not need it and the bike will run better without it.

So this makes me wonder...if a suspension design is good, are we better off without platform shock? We'll never know because it's impossible to find a stock shock without platform now a days!

One more thought, often we perceive the rear suspension as bobbing when we stand up and hammer but it's really the fork that is doing the bobbing. Lock out the fork and then you'll truly see how much monkey motion the rear suspension is having.

Tool
    I have a 2010 Truth and never really feel the need to engage pro-pedal. The bike does bob a little when I stand and hammer, but it's a fair tradeoff for keeping the rear wheel so well planted with gobs of traction.

Also, since this is an XC bike, most owners will spend a fair amount of time on smoother terrain where you can spin. A good spin produces very little, if any bob.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.