keepin' it rural

pivot damage from dropped chain!

ok, so here's the situation, bought my moment and the second ride out i dropped the chain onto the BB and scratched up the shell and a little bit of the pivot...annoying but no biggie. so i bought a AJ's frame guard to keep it from happening again, and just never got around to putting it on. so anyways months later i dropped it again and really scratched up the pivot (pics) my question is, do you think i've damged the bearing in any way or compromised the integrity of the pivot part of the chain stay? my instinct is no but i would like to get some feed back from you guys. (noramlly the chain never drops, the set screw is adjusted right, both times i was in the granny gear when i hit some rocks and flopped it off...dont know why i had to add that, but i thought it might come up),
    Last edited by summud; 06-06-2007 at 03:13 PM.

conjoinicorned
    no, it's fine.

gotta love cartridge bearings....you can smash the "race" and the bearing usually works just fine.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Looks like it should probably be ok. Can't be of much help other than that, though.
    What year is your Moment ? Not trying to diss your bike, but I was thinking maybe
    those welds look a little messy down there. That could be normal appearance
    for bb area welds, though. Havent checked mine out thoroughly enough to know
    the difference, but I think they could be a little cleaner looking.

keepin' it rural

06 moment

Rolling
    It's fine, throw some dirt on it and get your as$ back on the bike.