mtbr member

Pivot bearings and tension

I am just enquiring if anyone has information or experience with the pivot bearings on Ellsworth 4-bars in respect to the torque settings etc. I haven't touched mine since new and was wondering if these ever need a bit of a tighten from time to time. The Ellsworth website doesn't really shed any light eg expanded view of rocker pivot etc other than saying they are highly durable. Any maintenance tips apprieciated thanks.

Jim

Time is not a road.
    As far as I know, they should be pretty maint. free. You shouldn't have to tighten them in any way. You might talk to a shop about that. These bearings don't really have a large range of motion.

It might be a good idea not to high pressue wash them too often but keep them clean so that the dirt and grime doesn't get inside. It may be possible to inject them with fresh grease from time to time, but I'm not sure if this is necessary.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Those bearings aren't going anywhere.

I have noticing the rear of the bike wandering a little bit lately so am trying to determine if there is flex in the frame.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy L
    Thanks for the info. Those bearings aren't going anywhere.

I have noticing the rear of the bike wandering a little bit lately so am trying to determine if there is flex in the frame.
    I'd check the hubs...I was riding on an old set of XTs recently and they were really loose. It's funny, they haven't been ridden in over a year, but they were loose nonetheless. Ocassionally, I understand, even Kings can get loose (though this only happened to mine during the initial break in period).

mtbr member
    The flex was definetly in the wheel. I was running Spinergy xyclones and its been going all over the place. Had a fairly full on race season so I guess they held up welI. I currently have an old XT sun rim on there because I needed replacement PBO spokes from Spinergy. Spinergy were really excellent about the whole deal, I really liove the wheels except when the spokes get a bit loose. Maybe i am paranoid because of some of Ventana heads running off their mouth about Ellsworth epiphany flex. I actually think its stiff, and don't think the ventana finish is better than ellsworth either.