mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Pikey or Lyrikal Moment

Hi can anyone help me with my dilema, I am struggling to choose a more burly pair of forks for my Moment at the moment

As per the title I have basically narrowed it down to Pikes or Lyriks. I currently have Pace RC41 Fighters 150mm AM Air fork at 3.59 lbs. Bike build currently comes in around 30lbs!. I ride anything from the odd race, to all day epics, to playing on northshore, to small ish 3-4ft drops, to urban street messing about. I do a week or two a year in the Alps and regularly go to the Lakes, Peaks and Wales UK national parks!) where there is a mix of singletrack, rocky descents and Looong climbs, also hoping to maybe do 24 hr team enduro this year too. The Moment is brill as it allow me to do all this sort of riding though the bike has lost a bit of weight lately and I was wondering whether to put it back into my wheels and forks. Especially as I am getting braver with my riding as I look to find the limits of the bike!.

Lyrik has 160mm travel, 20mm bolt thro, 35mm stanchions, high and low speed compression, rebound and platfrom on and off oh and 115 to 160mm travel adjust. There getting generally good reviews so far and I have even found em at a reasonable discount. Not sure if to go for Coil u-turn (5.73lbs) or 2 Step air (5.5 lbs) with the one hit 160 down to 115mm travel shorten button a bit like like my Pace forks (which I like for climbing). Will also have to go to 200mm discs which adds a little more expense/weight too!.

The Pike (probably looking at air u-turn tho considering coil u-turn) on the other hand is reasonably light (4.5lbs) but loses out on the travel a bit and I'd have to stop n wind em down (if I wanna go to 115mm ) for climbing, plus there aren't quite as much adjustment as the Lyrik. I assume they aren't as stiff as the the Lyrik's but all the same again they get good write ups and see plenty of slopestlyers and jumpers on em though!.

I guess I want the Pikes as they're light and cheaper but then the Lyiks cause they look nails and are stiffer, they're new and have loadsa toys on em and I feel like I can maybe get a bit of a deal there. Plus if ya gonna make the change ya may as well actually make a change, but then I might start to get behind on bike trips!!!, would a lb or two make so much difference?.

Has anyone ridden these back to back or just prepared to help me with my dilema

"Its All Good"
    I ride the 454 Pike Air and really like it, has performed and is performing really well.. But reading into what you are doing, if I were you I would go for the Lyric for sure, got 160mm travel, really adjustable as you mention, along with the 2 step, which will be the ducks nuts for climbing. Am building a new FR rig, am going with the 2 step Totem, more or less the same reasons you are, be sweet and easy for climbs..

The Pikey (makes me think of Snatch typing Pikey (great film by the way)) is well adjustable, but not as slick and convienient as a 2 step setup...

My old riding buddies bak home in New Zealand are getting busy on there Moments, getting bigger air all the time...

Go the Lyrik, you know you will not regret it.....LOL
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah quite liked Snatch too especially with the UK connections (tho Pikey is a bit offensive here really) Lock Stock was good too! (IMHO of course)

I am leaning towards the Lyrik a little due to it's adjustability and burliness. My Pace forks have 32mm chasis like the Pikes so it'd only be the 20mm TA that'd make the difference in stiffness - oh and I spose the extra 1lb in material.

Think I would hate to loose the travel and the convenience of my current fork tho maybe the Pike would be better for general trail riding!!!!

The other issue with the Lyrik is that on one hand it's new and a bit different and then on the other it is new and untried!!!.

DOH!!!!

"Its All Good"
    All relevant points, you have quite the decision really............. I am a little the same with the upcoming Totem, quite new, what makes it worse is that I ma having it powder coated black, so adds to the stress a little..... I would still go for the lyrik myself...

Yep, lock stock was awesome too, not sure the yanks would fully understand some of the UK humour....

Quote Originally Posted by Gee-Moment
    Yeah quite liked Snatch too especially with the UK connections (tho Pikey is a bit offensive here really) Lock Stock was good too! (IMHO of course)

I am leaning towards the Lyrik a little due to it's adjustability and burliness. My Pace forks have 32mm chasis like the Pikes so it'd only be the 20mm TA that'd make the difference in stiffness - oh and I spose the extra 1lb in material.

Think I would hate to loose the travel and the convenience of my current fork tho maybe the Pike would be better for general trail riding!!!!

The other issue with the Lyrik is that on one hand it's new and a bit different and then on the other it is new and untried!!!.

DOH!!!!
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Lyric

I think the Lyric is a better match for the Moment. The Pike is good, but the Moment really shines with more travel IMHO. Also, stiffer is better on your fork.

Time is not a road.
    I've ridden with the Lyrik and it's a great fork, but I think it's a tad too tall for general trail riding. I went with the 66 for the ATA so I could fine tune the ride. The 2-step function is okay, when it's working, but 115mm is too short IMO, and messes up the geometry way too much. Though it's ok for short steeps, I just couldn't imagine using it on longer climbs. So in that vein, I'd recommend the U-turn option of the Lyrik for more aggro trail riding/AM or the Pike if you're going to be riding just general XC/trail, since the geo of the Moment with the Pike is very good for a large mix of terrain, but does not excel at any one thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thaks for the response guys, I appreciate the views. I guess I need to look a bit further at which direction my riding is going in.

The Lyrik would be good for the Alps and general messing around/drops etc. Plus my main riding buddy is on a 34lb enduro at the mo so I wouldn't have trouble keeping up there!!!. (he has gland problems ;o)).
    Chad 1433, have u tried the u-turn?. For the 100g difference I think the u-turn is good for it's coil burliness (plus it'll match my coil rear!!!). The A to C height is only 15mm more than my current fork so I'd hope it wouldn;t upset handling too much!.
    On the other hand I often use the min travel button on my RC41 forks (85mm) for climbing and find it really gives me the edge on the real steep stuff and settles the front end nicely.

Then again some of my newer riding buddies are into longer rides and if I were to start doing more enduro type stuff then the lighter lower Pike would be better. Plus I could still have fun with it. I'd have to live with wind down ( I guess but it is cheaper and tested.

Out of interest does anyone know how many turns does it take to wind down u-turn Lyiks/Pikes?. Wondering how much hassle it is?.

Hmmm this is a nice predicament but driving me bonkers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Pikey or Lyrikal Moment

Hi Gee i have a Lyrik coil u turn on my Moment and i love em,i changed over from a Fox 36 RC2 air, and i prefer the Lyriks.I live in Wales and do a lot of courses with rocky sections in them and i always give them a good battering and they always impress me.Found them a bit strange in the beginning cos they feel so different to the Fox's the beginning of the travel feels softer on a coil fork to an air fork but i'm used to them now.Mine take62 clicks or 7 full turns to adjust from max travel to min travel,so you can really fine tune them if you want to, you can do it pretty quickly and easily whilst you are riding.I just leave mine on max travel and lock them out on long climbs and they are fine.The spring is easy to change if you need to and the 360 Maxel is superb the Fox's where a bit of a pain having to use an allen key all the time to take the wheel off.
    I've ridden a pair of Pikes on a five spot but they didn't feel as stiff as the Lyriks and the Lyriks just felt nicer all round maybe because of the new damping system but i don't know why really,having said that the Pikes did feel well suited to the 5 spot but when i got back on my Moment it just felt more burly and much nicer.
    Hope this helps a bit Gee and remember this is only my opinion but i don't regret getting them for one minute.Here's a pic for you so you can see what they might look like on your bike.Hope it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nice piccies, though how tall are you tho Michelin?, is that a large Mo with a layback seatpost and long stem… must make for quite a long cockpit?. Is that ya downhill setup (flatties and burly wheels!) or are you ridding all sorts like me :0).

Yeah I though about the 36 but it didn’t have the convenience of a qr 20mm TA which is a biggy for me having a fork mounted roof rack on my car (tho will still need an adapter for roof rack thinking about it – anyone know where I can get one in the UK?)!. The 36 is light and found last years at a keen price (£475 at Bromley’s) but just not the adjustment I wanted and a few issues of diving through travel etc. Plus I found the Lyrik cheaper :O)

Thinking about the u-turn I spose I’d kinda like the travel options so say I can do 115 for climbing, 140 for trail riding (duckin and a divin!) and then 160 for steeper/bigger downs n stuff!. Can you really get 7 turns in while pedalling tho?
    Even if not when I think about it I am sure I could stop and dial down for a mo (plus get breather in before a big climb!) :0D. Plus there is lockout to play with too!.

Even with the 150mm up front at the mo it feels no match for the rear of my Mo once I have backed of a bit of pre-load on me spring, (bike is super plush then!) so again perhaps the 160 lyrik wins out!. Think the only issue is the extra weight… would the extra 1.5lbs really make a difference?.

Defo swaying now!! :O)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Pikey or Lyrikal Moment

Hi Gee my bike is a medium i'm about 5ft 9 the stem is 90mm and yes it is a layback post but i've always liked layback posts.I use the bike for everything except road riding so it does actually climb quite well although i know i could build it up much lighter i go to Scotland on it so as you know it's handy having it built burly for there.
    I too carry mine on the roof of the car and i use thules 575 i think it is and they are great,they lock onto the roof rack and then lock onto the bike.
    You can deffo adjust the travel on the forks whilst you are pedalling no probs at all
    As far as asking would the extra weight make a difference,i did have a Truth that was built light and then i changed to my Moment and yes i did notice a difference in climbing but going down things the weight difference was worth it the Moment wins hands down but there again it should be better should'nt it. As far as difference in the weight in the forks i don't think you'd hardly notice i can't tell any difference weight wise from the Fox's to the Lyriks, and if you would like to ask me anything else i will be more than happy to help if i can

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah have done most of the Seven Staines and Fort Bill (new stuff for the World Cup should be good!).

Coincidently I was thinking of doing Ten under the Ben up there, might be a bit of extra effort with the Lyriks but hey-ho (could always keep my RC41's for it - maybe!). Think I am defo swaying to the Lyriks and the Coils I can get at the best price (well fingers crossed!). Just need me burly 20mm TA wheels now, bigger disks, magura adaptors, roof rack adaptors.... gulp!.

Oh yeah thinking of extra expense what are the stock springs like?, I am around 13 stone maybe 13.5 ish with kit (and the traditional rain that follows me). Would they be OK?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Pikey or Lyrikal Moment

I'm about a stone heavier than you and i had'to change up one spring as the fork was going through it's travel to easily ,but you might get away with it

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nice one, I Suppose I should give the stock one a try and can change if need be, especially after I loose my xmas bulk!!! Hopefully TF Tuned in th UK should be cheap enough for springs... Ooooo wonder if there's a ti option .

Just gotta get new wheels, brake adaptor then larger disk, roof rack adaptor.... oh and of course find the best deal now, hmmm gulp.....................