Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Pics's of new Epiphany

Just finished building her on Sunday, I wont be adding any new trips to my mountain bike holiday's web site this year http://www.mtb-hol.com, as all my spare cash has been sunk into the bike , but it looks as though its worth being stuck in the UK for this year.

Build List
    =======
    Ellsworth Epiphany Medium RP23 (Freeborn - Horsham had run out of Float R's so upgraded shock for free )
    Fox XTT 130mm fork
    Easton EA70 Monkey Bar - low rise
    Lizard skin logo grips
    Thomson Stem
    Chris King HeadSet
    Gravity Dropper Seatpost (4" drop with remote)
    Terry Fly-Ti saddle
    Full XTR 07 Disc Group Set - including Wheel Set (11-34 cassette)
    Rear Tyre , Panaracer Trail Raker 2.1
    Front Tyre, Specialized Ground control 2.1
    Slime tubes
    Misc bits - Jagwire cable tops

I'm going to replace the tyres with some UST's - not sure which yet though

Only thing I dont like on the new bike is the way the new XTR crankset fit on the bike, it really sucks compared to the old hollowtech 2 method, which made taking the cranks on and off the bike so easy. If I'd taken the time to look into the new fitting method i'd proabley have opted for last years XTR or even this years XT cranks.
    Last edited by zinger-uk; 03-19-2007 at 05:18 AM.

"Its All Good"
    A stunning build and stunning looking bike.............. Be interesting to see how the XTR wheels hold up to your terrain, which I am thinking is quite varied taking into account you have put a gravity dropper seat post... ENJOY. Looks the ducks nuts
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    I'm 1,78m and the medium seems to be the just the right size for me, check out the ellsworth web site they have some sizing charts there as well.

The thing i don't like about the new xtr cranks is to take them off you first have to remove a dust cap, then you have to screw a tool into the crank and then finally you undo the crank with a 8mm allen key (which needs quite a bit of torque). Also theres an extra bit you have to tighten up adjust the fit to the bearings.

Where as with the previous xtr all you had to do was undo two bolts on the crank, undo the locking cap and then just pull the crank off with your hand.

I just miss the simplicity of the old system - and the ease of being able to get the crank set off without too many special tools, just the plastic widget thing for getting the cap of the crank.

Although it does have to be said that the new xtr does look good..

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Terrific bike!

What's wrong with the new xtr cranks-they do look great! Could you describe the problems, please.

How tall are you, because I'm 1,80 m and I'm not sure. Should I take medium or large?

Was that a Bobcat?
    Nice Bike! I agree with everyone the new XTR stuff sure looks good.... please let us know the problems you are having with the cranks.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Zinger,
    The bike looks great! What length are your cranks? They look long in the picture.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    How much do they weight mate?

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Hey Zinger, do you have any problems putin air in the RP23 with the way you have it? Also do you know the weight of that bad boy?
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

MolarM
    Jan 2006
    I'd like to have my pro pedal adjustment in that position, but it might make the shock pump valve hard to get to. Congrats- Awesome build! You're gonna love that thing! MM
    MolarM

Forgiven
    You can get and 'extention' on a RP23 'shock pump valve' for an upright mount. Check the photo. It's on the back of the shock on the down tube side. Not sure if it's a retro fit or fixed. Believe that's what we are looking at here. VERY NICE BUILD....

Forgiven
    correction- seat tube side..... sorry

MolarM
    Jan 2006
    Is that black tube what we're looking at? Very cool- I didn't know they made anything like that. That will eliminate the long reach to get to the adjuster. Sweet!!!
    MolarM

mtbr member
    Hi
    It's a great looking bike I'm sure you will be pleased with the performance. I can think of a few places a gravity dropper would be handy.
    My Epi just cost me some bucks too. I had to buy a house right on the conservation area where I trail ride that's mountain biking, the wife happy too.
    Without hijacking the thread it's great seeing Ellsworth's like Epiphanys but I'm still hanging to see a few Enlightment 29ners pictures from owners. What's going on with the 29ner Dave and how about a special delivery down under? I can't wait to smash one up?
    Jimmy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven
    Zinger,
    The bike looks great! What length are your cranks? They look long in the picture.
    Cranks are 175mm - then length I have on all my MTB's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by molarm
    Is that black tube what we're looking at? Very cool- I didn't know they made anything like that. That will eliminate the long reach to get to the adjuster. Sweet!!!
    Sorry about pics being out of focus, just dashed out to garage and took shots before heading for work

The RP23 unit has an extended air valve which means you can have the propedal the right way up in the frame

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Looks really good zinger, nice build. Thinking about that shock or just a Float R for my Moment.
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Does someone have a picture of a nebula blue one?

mtbr member
    Nice Epi Zinger, similar set up to mine with the RP23, Fox XTT and XTR set-up. Hope you donīt mind me asking you some questions.

What size Thompson stem are you using?

Am thinking of getting a GD also, what made you go for the 4" drop as opposed to the 1" and 4" drop?

Whereabouts do you ride?

mtbr member

Valve Extension

Quote Originally Posted by road dirt
    You can get and 'extention' on a RP23 'shock pump valve' for an upright mount. Check the photo. It's on the back of the shock on the down tube side. Not sure if it's a retro fit or fixed. Believe that's what we are looking at here. VERY NICE BUILD....
    Hi! Just want to know if i can get that valve extension from FOX. Or is it only standard on EPI equipped with RP23?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xave
    Nice Epi Zinger, similar set up to mine with the RP23, Fox XTT and XTR set-up. Hope you donīt mind me asking you some questions.

What size Thompson stem are you using?

Am thinking of getting a GD also, what made you go for the 4" drop as opposed to the 1" and 4" drop?

Whereabouts do you ride?
    Hi

Stem size as below
    Thomson Elite Stem Angle: 15-degree rise , Length: 90mm

My GD is actually a multi drop post 1" then 4" - not used it in anger yet, waiting for the weather to clear up a bit before taking in some of the steep sections up at Pitch Hill

In the UK I ride around the south downs around Brighton where I live, and The North Downs , sometimes take the odd trip further a field , but mainly I save my time up so I can escape from England to America to ride there.

We ought to hook up for a ride up at the North downs some time

What have you set your rp23 and xtt up like ? - got any pics of your bike on line ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfild
    How much do they weight mate?
    With the heavy gravity dropper post, and standard tyres and slime tubes the bikes weighing in at about 27.5lbs , it might loose a little weight when i switch to UST tyres, but to be honest i could do with loosing 3 stone so other than having a light bike to avoid excess baggage charges when flying the weights not that important.

mtbr member

North downs ride

Hereīs a pic of mine.

My local ride is Reigate Hill to Box Hill loop. This year I plan to venture more towards Leigh Hill where I hear it is pretty good. A few times a year I get to Wales - Cym Carn, Coed y Brennan etc. This year I shall also be in Morzine and plan to get the GD prior to then.

Iīve not really experimented with the shock and fork settings. Iīve left the shock on the slowest rebound but keep the propedal on 3 unless I turn it off for a long gnarly down hill. The fork I keep on a fast rebound. I should probably experiment though and dial it all in properly. I think most people keep the propedal turned off.

Would be cool to meet up, send me a PM and we can swap details.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just to share mine as well.

Medium size. I got a new sticker from fox so that i can replace the rear shock sticker when i invert it but still cant decide if i really need to invert it. :-( any suggestion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Excuse my question again but I'm going nuts not being able to testride one but I have to order one. Here are my detailed data:
    I need your help. What Epiphany size do I need? About Me: Weight 176 pounds, Height 5,84, Inseam 34,25
    Type of riding: XC Endurance, XC All Mountain

My dealer adviced me to take a L, saying otherwise the seatpost would have to be too long. But most of you seem to me about my size and use M, right?

Would you please help me I'm desperate!

Thanx

mtbr member

Go for a medium - unless you have an incrediblt long torso

I'd go for a medium - and if you need to buy a long seatpost
    my gravity dropper is a a 400mm post and a lot of that is in the frame
    The top tube on the epi is quite long i'm 5'10" and i'm using a 90mm stem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast