mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Ordered a New Moment today.Sram?

It's a black 19" with the romic coil shock. Before ordering I spoke with a ellswoth rep and he recommended the Sram OX rear derailer over any shimano derailer. I've never had any spram drive train componets before but am willing to take a gamble on the advice of ellsworth. I realize that ellsworth is a rather small fame builder and my be boycotting the big bad shimano corperation. I remember Ibis diden't like Shimanno either. The reviews for the OX rear derailer are impressive. If I deside to go with My first Sram drive train I suppose I'll go with there shifters as well. I'm going with a Race Face Atlas cranks set, I hope a Spram chain shifts well on it's rings.
    Any opinions would be appreciated,
    Big JuJu

mtbr member
    Gor for the Sram. I have always used shitmano and swore by it until I bought a bike off of a friend with the earlier 9.0sl stuff on it. I thought I'd replace the Sram with shimano parts eventually but after riding it and getting the feel for it (took 3 minutes), I started to wonder. I tried to ignor how well the Sram was working simply because I was a biased bike mechanic that had always done shimano. Well, now I wouldn't use anything else. Especially on the Ellsworth. The Sram rear der won't slap the frame when going over rough stuff like the shitmano will. I've been using the new XO on my Truth and absolutly love it!!!

Some other things about the Sram is that its completely rebuildable, and it is near impossible to hurt or break the shifters unlike the shimano stuff that is incorporated into the brake lever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

... and if we just ... I hope there good cause

That OX derailer goes for some big bucks. I suppose I have a little fear of the unknown since I don't know any one with the stuff. I hate the way Shimano intergrates the shifters and levers these days. The Id's I had ridden at Bicycle John's had this set up. I diddent even know the had trigger shifters until today. I'm not nesasarly loyal to Shimano as My road bike has a Campagnolo group set. I just don't want to be swayed by marketing propaganda I want what's gonna work best on My Moment.

Mtb & Bassoon player
    I have XO, XTR and Saint actually on my 3 bikes.
    The Sram (on Moment) works much better as Shimano !
    But the Saint is really very strong for DH or Fr use

Ciao

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    i'm pretty sure ellsworth recommend SRAM rear mechs as they work a little better with the ellsworth frames, mainly due to the 1:1 ratio SRAM use on the X0/9/7 series instead of shimanos 2:1 ratio.

p.s, i use an XO, its an excellent rear mech but if you want tougher then go for the X9 or X7 if sticking with SRAM.

not so super...

Bonking ... not feelin' well No, not the Romic!

Quote Originally Posted by Big JuJu
    It's a black 19" with the romic coil shock. Before ordering I spoke with a ellswoth rep and he recommended the Sram OX rear derailer over any shimano derailer. I've never had any spram drive train componets before but am willing to take a gamble on the advice of ellsworth. I realize that ellsworth is a rather small fame builder and my be boycotting the big bad shimano corperation. I remember Ibis diden't like Shimanno either. The reviews for the OX rear derailer are impressive. If I deside to go with My first Sram drive train I suppose I'll go with there shifters as well. I'm going with a Race Face Atlas cranks set, I hope a Spram chain shifts well on it's rings.
    Any opinions would be appreciated,
    Big JuJu
    Call and change your order quickly - Get the DHX and not the Romic! This frame was ment to have that shock.

As far as rear derailleurs go, my switch to SRAM was one of the best changes I've made.(the best change I've made was switching the Vanilla RC for the DHX) I have the XO model but hear that the X9 works just as well, it only weighs slightly more. You will have to use the SRAM shifters because of the different cable pull ratio and the X9 triggers work very well. No worries with the SRAM chain and RF rings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Saint for DH?

Quote Originally Posted by Palisworth
    I have XO, XTR and Saint actually on my 3 bikes.
    The Sram (on Moment) works much better as Shimano !
    But the Saint is really very strong for DH or Fr use
    Is this another hint on the new dare?

Won't be using Saint even if it fits - I don't like backwards shifting.