mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Occasional Race - Epiphany or Truth?

So i'm trying to decide which bike to get...epiphany or truth. I live in Albuquerque NM and make the occasional trip to Moab and Durango. I currently have a Santa Cruz 4X blur that I have built up as a semi light all mountain bike. I want to enter some races this season and i've been saving up for a ellsworth. The truth seems like to be the ideal race bike but the epiphany can be built up just as light as the truth.

Does anyone use their epiphany in races??

I love the challenge of a hard climb but I also like long downhills. I don't do any heavy drops...nothing over 3 feet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If the courses you race are tight, twisty and less technical, go for the Truth. Anything else, the Epi will be a better do all, race/trail bike. I suspect if your living in ABQ, most of your riding will be on more wide open trails where the extra travel and longer wheelbase will be an advantage.

I own both and very rarley ever choose the Truth over the Epi, even on the the tighter stuff. The Epi is just such a fantastic and capable ride.

HIYAH
    If the race is occasional...then get whatever you want. I have raced on a moment, rigid hardtail single speed, weight weenie rig, etc...they are all fun. Of course if you are out there to win, then you are most likely not racing "occasionaly" so a completly different bike might be in order...

BTW, for you area I would get the EPI for sure! I lived in Aztec for 3-4 years...
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

VooDoo user.
    Like you said, the Epi can be built nearly as light as the truth. Why wouldn't you want the extra travel.

Epi all the way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Cool....well I will probably go with the epiphany then. I just have to save up the $$$ now!! I have friends that have both and have only good things to say....either way i'll be happy.