Thread: Not a good day

~~~

Bonking ... not feelin' well Not a good day

Still getting used to my Moment, so I took it to the park today to play around and tune the shocks.

First, while messing with the rear in my garage, the front wheel flopped all the way around, and the rebound knob on my Talas put a nice scratch on the underside of the down tube, right across the weld beads. Ugh.

So then I head to the park, and I'm having a great time on the Moment. This bike is fun! I'm getting more comfortable, so I start taking some small jumps. Whack! Ooops, not enough air pressure, okay, dial it in, play around some more, and go home.

I'm cleaning off the bike tonight to apply some frame protector stickers, and realized I cracked my carbon brace! This was with the salsa lever facing forward, too.
    I'm guessing I need to order new rocker arms. And maybe switch to a Hope seat collar? Looks like they have lower profiles.

Sigh.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MTB SOCAL
    I'm sorry to hear about your bad day. What type of headset are you running? My 06 Moment with CK headset and 36 TALAS has no issues with either knob hitting the downtube reinforcement as in your pic. My 08 Moment doesn't have the extra reinforcement or welding on the downtube and there is plenty of clearance between the knobs. If it's an issue, you may want to add a Ventana +4 or +7 lower crown race. Also, what size Moment are you running? My medium frames don't have the issue with the seatpost clamp hitting the brace, even with the shock removed.

Anyways, touch base with your local Ells dealer. I'm sure they can help you take care of the problem and get back on your bike.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

~~~
    Thanks, Yang.

I'm running a CK headset with an 2007 32 Talas. I'm hoping the scratch is not a big deal, since its on the weld for the reinforment piece.

I have the small frame, and the kicker is that I checked for clearance when building the bike, and it just cleared. But I guess you can never really simulate a real world hard hit.

mtbr member
    Hi,

You are using salsa and it is already reversed and still hit the carbon? ?!?

Charles
    2007 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc
    2007 Giant Anthem 3
    2007 Titus Motolite II
    2008 Ellsworth Moment

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    What a bummer day.

Reminds me of teh day i took my Fuel Ex 8 out for its maiden voyage. A hope Quick release with lever forward managed to contact the rocker arm taking a chunk out. I was pissed.

Turns out the regular seat collar provided with the frame was the only qr to ever fit. Not bling- but no contact either

It seems that small frames in particular are hindered with what has happened to you- for some reason they love to make contact with seat QR and forks??

I'd not worry to much about the mark on the weld- like you say- its a plate that has been welded on. During the bikes life i'm sure that it will see more than this in action!

Lets hope tomorrow is better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The scrape on the weld will be fine and I wouldn't worry about it. Also the carbon brace doesn't look to obad either - just get your LBS to check. I run a Medium Moment with a Hope QR with no problems.
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

i can't type the letter s
    Not sure about the carbon brace but I would definitely purchase a lower crown race as mentioned earlier. This will ensure you don't have clearance issues with your fork and frame.

Let's make it easy for you:
    Click and scroll down to see lower crown races

~~~
    I plan on bringing the bike to the shop tomorrow to have them take a look. My LBS guys are really helpful, and they know mtb's, but is it preferable to go to an Ells dealer?

Thanks for the link, mj.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    My medium Epiphany was really tight with my 08 Talas 32 so I got the Chris King fork spacer, gave 3mm of clearance and only 8 bucks! Without the spacer it was really close (so close that if there was any flex I would have sliced the thin walled down tube). You can find the spacer on the CK site.

MTB SOCAL
    Quote Originally Posted by meph
    My medium Epiphany was really tight with my 08 Talas 32 so I got the Chris King fork spacer, gave 3mm of clearance and only 8 bucks! Without the spacer it was really close (so close that if there was any flex I would have sliced the thin walled down tube). You can find the spacer on the CK site.
    Odd. My medium Epiphany with 32 Float RLC has 4-5 mm clearance under the downtube. I guess Fox changed their knobs on the 08 forks?
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

~~~
    Ok, I got the official word from Ells tech support. According to them, the carbon brace offers very little, if any, lateral rigidity and support. Almost went as far as to say it's just for cosmetics. Said it's safe for me to ride, and even if it weren't there, it wouldn't cause any damage to the rest of the linkage. But in the event that it disintegrates, they would take care of it. Maybe I should go retro-grouch and wrap the carbon piece with duct tape.

So to eliminate the possibility of this happening again, I might have to switch to a non-QR seat collar. Or upgrade and go pink...

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Yangpei,

Yep, they changed the knobs on the Fox TALAS, thus decreasing the clearance.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger
    Ok, I got the official word from Ells tech support. According to them, the carbon brace offers very little, if any, lateral rigidity and support. Almost went as far as to say it's just for cosmetics. Said it's safe for me to ride, and even if it weren't there, it wouldn't cause any damage to the rest of the linkage. But in the event that it disintegrates, they would take care of it. Maybe I should go retro-grouch and wrap the carbon piece with duct tape.

So to eliminate the possibility of this happening again, I might have to switch to a non-QR seat collar. Or upgrade and go pink...
    That is what I would have expected. The stiffness is formed by the seatube pivot and the seatstay pivots, forming a box already. Look at a turner for example, there is no cross-piece. And that said, even if it was for stiffness, the ding is is on the long dimension. Strength in the necessary direction is proportional to length^2 * thickness, This ding did a minor amount to the thickness. It does slightly help reduce twisting stress across the bearings though so it's not purely cosmetic.