mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Is this normal??

I have this epiphany frame and I am just wondering if this is normal. Is this part supposed to be covered by the frame color? It's the same thing on the other side though. Anybody out there got the same thing on their frame or its just me. Please comment.

Many thanks all!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

bare aluminum?

You cant tell from your first picuture but the 2nd picture shows what looks like bare aluminum (not anodized) between the cable boss and the frame.

I checked my Nebula Blue Epi and can see no unequivocal evidence of this at the lower shock mount (its dusty dirty in there) but there is definitely some silver showing up under the front cable boss, but not apparently as much as in your picture.

The question is not so much "is this normal", rather its "is this OK"

Thumb

Rolling
    When a part in anodized, it's dipped in solution, then later dipped in a dye solution and finally a sealant. My guess is there was some oil there when it was dipped that didn't get removed in the cleaning process. That means there is bare aluminum. Worst case, it will oxidize like bare aluminun does and just look dull.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    When a part in anodized, it's dipped in solution, then later dipped in a dye solution and finally a sealant. My guess is there was some oil there when it was dipped that didn't get removed in the cleaning process. That means there is bare aluminum. Worst case, it will oxidize like bare aluminun does and just look dull.
    I usually see this when a hanger or wire is used to suspend the frame during the anodizing process...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Same on my Rogue, don't know from where it comes. Showed it to my shop and they said it's nothing, that I shouldn't worry...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    finally received response from ellsworth.

""The frame is fine……those are just spots where the ano didn’t hit. There is noting structurally wrong with the frame."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j_a_p
    finally received response from ellsworth.

""The frame is fine……those are just spots where the ano didn’t hit. There is noting structurally wrong with the frame."
    How long did you wait for their reply...I email them twice 2 weeks ago and never got a reply
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.