mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New wheelset for Epiphany...Crossmax XL?

I am shopping for a new wheelset, with a convertible 20 mm/ QR front hub and a decent freehub design but I cannot stand the buzzing sound of CK, Industry 9, Hadley etc.

I was planning on building up a new tubeless wheelset, using Hope Pro II hubs and Mavic 819 rims and 2.0-1.8-2.0 butted spokes. My weight estimation is right in the 1800g mark. They will cost me about $650 to have built.

However, someone in my club is trying to sell a set of Crossmax XL in decent shape for basically half that price. Their published weight is 1805 g and my buddy weighed his at 1845g. There are some cosmetic blemishes, chipped paint on some spokes but they are functionally inexcellent shape and i know that he babies his stuff. I currently have a Crossride on the back (MaVic's cheapest wheel). I'm not sure but i think that the freehub mechanism is similar...removes with an allen key and one cone wrench, 2 pawls each with their own little spring. Its a simple design and dead easy to service.

so waddya think? Anybody else use this wheelset?
    Although i ride quite aggressively, i am only 150 lbs and i am very easy on equipment.

Thumb

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thumbies
    I am shopping for a new wheelset, with a convertible 20 mm/ QR front hub and a decent freehub design but I cannot stand the buzzing sound of CK, Industry 9, Hadley etc.

I was planning on building up a new tubeless wheelset, using Hope Pro II hubs and Mavic 819 rims and 2.0-1.8-2.0 butted spokes. My weight estimation is right in the 1800g mark. They will cost me about $650 to have built.
    I did this exact same wheel set for my Blue Epiphany and had them built by Universal Cyles (who build a mean set of wheels) for less than $500. I used DT Swiss Competition spokes. The BLUE HOPE II hubs look great on the bike and I always get compliments on the wheels. Now, if you don't like buzzing sounds, then you should know that the HOPE'S rear hub sounds similar to a fishing rod when you cast the line. I didn't like it too much at first (because silence in the woods is nice, but it grows on you and you have the benefit of being a bit noisy in case you ride where BEARS may be present and it also let's you know that you are NOT PEDALING (which can give you some motivation to go faster).

I put them on the scale without skewers and they came in right at 1899 grams. They aren't the lightest, but damn they are STRONG with NO FLEX and haven't needed a truing in over 300 miles. (I do need to take them in for a retension though). I weight 200 with riding gear and it is nice having a set that I can ride and hammer without feeling ANY flex.

Of course you know that the Front hub is QR/20mm convertible which is a nice in case FOX finally releases a 32MM TALAS fork with 20mm TA(did you hear that FOX!!?!?) or you plan on running a PIKE in the future. But, what I have realized that when you ratchet the pedals in rock gardens, the REAR HOPE II engages like a bulldog. It doesn't engage super fast like a KING, but when it does it is SOLID!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jalea
    I did this exact same wheel set for my Blue Epiphany and had them built by Universal Cyles (who build a mean set of wheels) for less than $500. I used DT Swiss Competition spokes. The BLUE HOPE II hubs look great on the bike and I always get compliments on the wheels. Now, if you don't like buzzing sounds, then you should know that the HOPE'S rear hub sounds similar to a fishing rod when you cast the line. I didn't like it too much at first (because silence in the woods is nice, but it grows on you and you have the benefit of being a bit noisy in case you ride where BEARS may be present and it also let's you know that you are NOT PEDALING (which can give you some motivation to go faster).

I put them on the scale without skewers and they came in right at 1899 grams. They aren't the lightest, but damn they are STRONG with NO FLEX and haven't needed a truing in over 300 miles. (I do need to take them in for a retension though). I weight 200 with riding gear and it is nice having a set that I can ride and hammer without feeling ANY flex.

Of course you know that the Front hub is QR/20mm convertible which is a nice in case FOX finally releases a 32MM TALAS fork with 20mm TA(did you hear that FOX!!?!?) or you plan on running a PIKE in the future. But, what I have realized that when you ratchet the pedals in rock gardens, the REAR HOPE II engages like a bulldog. It doesn't engage super fast like a KING, but when it does it is SOLID!
    Yeah the Pro II's are nice looking hubs, and significantly cheaper than their competition. I have heard that the freehub is loud, but it is more of a lot of clicking than the buzzing that CK's do that make you feel like you are surrounded by bees (incidentally i rode through a swarm of bees once on my road bike...it was unpleasant)

I had considered the gunmetal color...i guess to match the darker hues in the nebula blue frame vs the brighter shades.

I like you NOT PEDALING comment, thats exactly what the King hub did for me...it made me want to pedal, ALWAYS

I have a Pike on my Epi, which is why i want a convertible hub. Its a great fork and i love the U-turn and the Maxle. Still, i would go back to a QR in the future if the opportunity presented...

Do you use tubeless tires? or at least tires without tubes

cheers,
    thumb

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If you are running a PIKE then you should go for the Hope's for that convertible option. I think that Gun Metal would look cool as well.

I am using WTB Weirwolf UST tires in 2.1 sizing. It is perfect for my riding conditions here in Tennessee. I put Stan's in and had zero flats. Super easy setup to get them sealed using Stan's Weirwolf's are really grippy when your have them aired up properly and they roll pretty quickly as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The engagement of the Hope is really good , a lot better than the Mavic hub IMO . I used to have crossmax sl and replaced them with a wheelset made of Hope Pro II hubs and Mavic Ex823 rims . Am very happy with my set , it is noisy though but I actually like the noise it makes a very high quality type of sound ( it gives me the impression the hubs are really clean and smooth inside ) , especially when you back pedal when you are free wheeling it is not as loud . I think the extra noise is because of the extra pawls inside the hub shell ( if I am correct the Mavic has 2 pawls while the Hope has 4) , which gives faster engagement and more effecient energy transfer ( IMO ) .

Hopes are quite rare in my country , my mechanic and bike shop owner were pretty much impressed when they opened up my hub for cleaning , and saw that it had 4 pawls versus the usual 2 .

I would probably opt to use Hope hubs again , if I were to build another wheelset since I like the performance and are substantially cheaper than Kings .

If I were to be building a set for an Epi , and I would be going regular qr for the fork , I would probably use Pro II hubs for the rear wheel and just the Hope XC up front.