Tool

New Truth on the Way!!

I just finialized the spec on a new 2010 SST.1 Truth. I should have it in about two weeks (these are going to be two loooong weeks!):

A. FRAME-------------------------------2010 Ellsworth Truth SST1 w/ FOX RP23, size: Large.………………..…..2482g
    Specs/ Options:
    1. bottom bracket: English threaded 73mm
    2. front derail. – 34.9mm clamp top pull, bot./trad. swing
    3. 27.2mm seatpost diameter
    4. 26 inch wheel size
    5. head tube = 1 1/8 inch standard
    6. color: Nebula Blue anodize
    7. TTlength = 24.3”
    8. HTlength = 4.75”
    9. HA = 70.2deg.
    10. SA = 72.7deg.
    11. BB shell = 73mm
    12. fork = 100mm
    13. BB ht. = 13.4”
    14. SO (standover ht.) = 28”

B. FORK-----------------------------------2011 Rock Shox SID XX World Cup Dual Air XLoc QR, color: white.......…1406g
    C. SEAT CLAMP------------------------included with frameset
    D. HEADSET-----------------------------Loaded XLite - 1 1/8” threadless, Black………………………………...…..…110g
    E. CRANKSET--------------------------SRAM X.0 Carbon 10spd 44/33/22t rings 175mm arm length……….....……790g
    F. BOTTOM BRACKET---------------English thread 73mm shell - external bearings included with crankset…...115g
    G. FRONT DERAILLEUR------------SRAM X.0, 34.9mm clamp type, top pull – traditional…………………....…170g
    H. FRONT DERAIL. Clamp-----------not required – see item G.
    I. REAR DERAILLEUR---------------SRAM X.0, long cage…………………………..……………………...….……210g
    J. SHIFTERS/BRAKE LEVERS----- SRAM X.0, trigger…………………………………………….…………...…280g
    K. CASSETTE----------------------------SRAM PG-1070, 11-36t, 10 speed……………...………………………...…270g
    L. CHAIN-------------------------------- SRAM PC-1091…………………………………..………………..…..…..……255g
    M. BRAKESET------------------------- SRAM X.0 Carbon hydraulic, 160mm front, 160mm rear …………..….….700g
    N. PEDALS------------------------------Shimano XT or XTR TBD………………………………..…………..……….….0g
    O. HANDLEBARS---------------------Loaded XLiteCarbon Riser, 680mm wide x 32mm rise, blk…………………180g
    P. STEM----------------------------------Thomson X4., 31.8mm clamp x 120mm length, blk..………………………..150g
    Q. SEATPOST--------------------------- Thomson Elite with set-back, 27.2mm x 350mm length, blk…….………230g
    R. BAR GRIPS---------------------------Lizard Skins lock-on, black …………………………………….………….…150g
    S. SADDLE-------------------------------WTB Silverado, Titanium rails, Black w/ Ellsworth logo…………….…...…230g
    T. WHEELS & TIRES----------------- Wheelset –American Classic MTB 26 Tubeless wheelset - black…….…1555g
    Rim Tape – American Classic tubeless poly tape…………..….…………00g
    Tubes – Kenda butyl 26 x 2.1, presta …………………………….....……280g
    Tires – Kenda NevegalDTC 26” x 2.1”…………………...…………......…1260g
    Skewers, American Classic (front only)………….…………….………......130g
    Cables, housings, headset spacers, etc.-misc……………………………200g
    U. BOTTLE CAGES---------------------- TBD, not included in kit
    V. CHAINSTAY GUARD--------------- TBD
    W. HEADSET SPACERS----------------alloy black per fit geometry requirement
    X. Misc. items------------------------------TBD……………………………………………………………………………0g
    Y. Cyclocomputer-------------------------- TBD, not included in kit

Total Bike weight(w/o pedals) = 23.97lbs., 10,873(grams) +/- 0.10 lbs.

I'm going to be putting XTR pedals on the bike, and with those, along with some Stan's to run the tires tubless, the complete bike, ready to roll should weigh ~24.9lbs. I will, of course, post pics between taking delivery and getting it good and dirty.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Nice

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Congrats, sounds nice. My Evolution is supposed to be ready in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You will not disappointed!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    1 week to go!!

Tool
    I'm getting excited! The builder has been giving me regular updates - I believe he has all the parts and began assembling last night. I'm pretty sure I'll have the bike before the end of the week.

-Pete

Tool
    I picked up my new bike today. It was actually ready for me Tuesday night (yes, only 8 days after I ordered it), but today was my first chance to go grab it. I got to take it for a 45-minute ride, and I love it! It steers about as quick as my Scalpel did, which is one of the most important traits of this bike for me.

The rear suspension is how I hoped it would be - seemingly completely disconnected from the drivetrain. This thing pedals fast no matter what you're rolling over. I still need to dial in the front shock and determine the correct stem height, although I think I'm headed for a stem swap since the Ritchey is super light, but too limp for my taste. It will be nice to get the steerer tube cut to length as the headset setup looks a bit ridiculous right now.

Total weight with pedals and tubes was 24.9lbs. I should be able to drop a third of a pound or more by dumping the tubes in favor of a little Stan's sealant since the wheels are tubeless.

Can anyone tell me what this plate on the fork is for? The only thing I can imagine is to protect the brake line from crap coming off the tire:

New Truth on the Way!!-truth30.jpg
    Last edited by Pedalphile; 12-18-2010 at 08:00 AM.

Ride and Smile suckas
    Great looking bike. When are we riding?
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org

Tool
    Thanks, Matt. The new whip is ready to go whenever you are...

I do have lights, so weeknights work. I'll also have this Thurs and Fri. off for some daylight rippin'.

mtbr member
    That's one purdy bike. Be kind to your valve stems, you animal. ;>)

Ride and Smile suckas
    Tomorrow night. Horse Hill 5:30pm?
    www.snemba.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That fork cover is so mud doesn't get flung forward through the stanchions and end up in your eyes.

I tried it out but its not muddy enough here for me to really utilize it.

Ride and Smile suckas
    I like those American Classics. cant wait to hear if they are strong and stiff for as light as they build up.
    www.snemba.org

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by mcstumpy
    I like those American Classics. cant wait to hear if they are strong and stiff for as light as they build up.
    I've got about 30 miles on the new whip so far. I'm used to rolling on a set of Crossmax STs, and I don't detect any more flex in the AC wheelset. They might not be as strong as the STs, but there's not enough of a difference to notice.

The only negative thing about the wheelset so far is the tubeless stems. They don't seal well at all (even with copious amounts of Stan's), and they erred on the side of lightweight instead of strength when designing them. Because of their leaky nature, it's very hard to get air in the tires with a trail pump (the stem leaks with every stroke) - this results in a lot of quick pumping which, in my case, resulted in one of the stems snapping in two. When I compare these stems to the Mavic ones in my STs, it's a night and day difference.

If I don't have luck making my own ghetto tubeless stems from an old tube, I'll probably just pick up some Stan's stems and hopefully never worry about valve stems on this wheelset again.

In other news, I'm thoroughly impressed with the ICT suspension. Coming from a 100mm Scalpel, the ICT is more plush with very little pedal feedback - easy to keep spinnin' over small obstacles. The ICT also works very well during braking, which is almost a strange feeling when you're used to other rear suspension types - your brain subconsciously expects the rear end to be more stiff during braking - having the suspension remain active and plush is a welcome feeling.