Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Turtle

New Truth Pics...

Hello!

Just wanted to post up a few pics of my brand new 2007 Ellsworth Truth!! If there is a current thread for this, I apologize, and fully comply with letting the mods move it, etc...

Wheels are a temporary fix, haven't ordered them yet. Pedals are borrowed for test-riding.

Thanks to BikeBrain for building this up all in one night - last minute!!

"Its All Good"
    Nice shots and Nice bike, enjoy that puppy..................Made me laugh the slippery silk sheets.........................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Time is not a road.
    Nice looking bike...looks fast.

over 50 years of cycling

Cool-blue Rhythm droooool!

Holy crap, thats a nice build and a purty lookin' bike!

Definitely the right place to post it!

Seems like the Truth gets overlooked a lot in these days of the Big Hit bikes. My bro-in-law has a Truth and does insane "XC" on it and loves the bike after a couple of years of riding it now. I ALMOST went with the Truth, but I have about 20 or 30 pounds of body weight over him and a bad history with light bikes, so I bumped up to the slightly heavier Epiphany just for "insurance" purposes. I came very close to buying a Truth though.

Thanks for sharing the nice pics!
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

The Turtle
    Wow - thanks everyone for the great comments!! I'm super excited to actually find a non-rainy day to ride this thing on some singletrack! So far, it's only seen the parking lot of the apartment complex it was built in.

This will be a different ride style for me too, as in lighter, faster, 'weird' turning for a while. I've also got a Moment that I've been riding for the last year or so, and though I've been racing XC with it, along with using it for urban rides, light freeride, etc...I wouldn't necessarily advise racing a moment for everyone! (Though, it works "okay" just a bit slow turning) Now it'll be a tough choice to decide which bike to take to the trails for group rides.?.

Thanks again for the fun comments!
    Talk to you later,
    Reed

over 50 years of cycling

Cool-blue Rhythm weighting?

Yah, the pain of waiting for a break in the weather. Its been record breaking rains and wind storms ever since I got my Epi, so I can relate.

Whats the ACTUAL weight on that beauty? Looks like a very light build.
    At least the "standing on the bathroom scale, with and without the bike, difference" weight?

You will like that ride!
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

The Turtle
    Yeah, rain sucks!! Well, for mountain biking that is...

With these heavy wheels, and the big pedals, I think it's right at about 27 pounds. I'm hoping to lose quite a bit by replacing those. I'll definitely post up again in the build database once everything is in place!!

How on earth are people getting their truths down to 24/25 lbs? Are the wheels really that heavy on this bike, or are they forgetting to put bolts in all their components? Amazing!

over 50 years of cycling

weighing in

Quote Originally Posted by Reedly
    How on earth are people getting their truths down to 24/25 lbs? Are the wheels really that heavy on this bike, or are they forgetting to put bolts in all their components? Amazing!
    I wonder about some of these claimed weights myself. Sometimes I wonder if either they need to get their scales calibrated, or maybe I need to get mine calibrated, or people are figuring the weight is without wheels on or something?

My Epi is a "heavy build" using cheap components, and jumping on the bathroom scale with it set up for RIDING, it comes out to 29-30 pounds, depending on if I want to include the fender and a few bits like that. But then I read of people with EPIPHANY's running at 24-26 pounds and really wonder.......

I am still trying to figure out where ALL that weight comes from so I can figure out where the most likely spot is for upgrades in the future. Otherwise I just can't seem to get it to all add up.....or down.
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

Time is not a road.
    There is a forum to help find the lightest parts possible.

On your bike, I'd say the things that could make it the lightest possible are RS SID fork, foam grips, carbon seatpost, lighter rims/hubs/tires, Stan's instead of tubes, XTR cassette (if you don't already have one), XTR front der., narrower bar, minimalist saddle, Eggbeater pedals - utterly ridiculous stuff like that that would relegate the bike to Race Day Only status.

I don't think a true trail bike should be that light unless it's a hardtail. The lighter things are, the easier they are to break, in my experience. While some of those items are functional, some things, like the SID for example, are a bit extreme, IMO.

over 50 years of cycling

Cool-blue Rhythm tradeoffs

Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    There is a forum to help find the lightest parts possible.

I don't think a true trail bike should be that light unless it's a hardtail. The lighter things are, the easier they are to break, in my experience. While some of those items are functional, some things, like the SID for example, are a bit extreme, IMO.
    I am pointedly not even browsing the Weight Weenie forum.
    I do tend to carefully watch the tradeoff of weight versus reliability, especially for mtn biking. Once upon a time I was a weight weenie when I was road biker/racer. Millin' and drillin'. Worked in a bike shop back then so I saw the extremes.....and what happened to the extremes under relatively mild road use. It was not a pretty sight. Finally turned around my philosophy and saw the insanity when these two WW's announced they were giving up biking and taking up jogging because they weren't getting enough exercise. These guys were notorious for bringing NOTHING along on VERY long rides, no spare tube or pump or even a water bottle. BUT they would expect everyone else to take care of their every need. And their bikes broke down a lot and were flimsy to boot so their climbing was not even all that great.

Titanium rails on a COMFY seat....good weight loss. I do have an XTR front and a SRAM rear derailleur. I like reliable, easy maintenance tires. XTR cassette drops a huge amount of weight....can't remember if the XT is already heavily cut away though, compared to a cheap set of cogs. I know MY hubs alone are silly heavy boat anchors.

I noticed the Truth in this thread already has some sensible weight slashing, such as graphite bars, brake levers, cranks(?), and I believe its a light seatpost, which I thought might be worthwhile areas to sink some money to save some weight, which is why I was curious as to the weight of THIS bike.

I am finding that the extra weight is not really holding me back though, and a lot of it is the way the bike handles and climbs and the engine pushing it.

I still just like the LOOK of this Truth too.
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

mtbr member
    Nice bike!

Who took the pictures, J.C. Penny's?
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

The Turtle
    Thanks for the tips on making the bike lighter!! At this point, the wheels are 100% temporary, just to make it ridable. I'm considering buying a set of DT Swiss 4.1 D's, with CK hubs, and tubeless tires. How does that sound? Helpful? Wrong? etc...

Quote Originally Posted by bpnic
    Nice bike!

Who took the pictures, J.C. Penny's?
    Haha!! I actually put a big white sheet over our futon, then set the bike up on it, brought in 3 of our brightest $15 floor lamps for lighting, and took the pics. Then just photoshopped the crapola out of them!! Those 6 pictures took like 2 hours - and I really couldn't even get the full bike pic to look like anything like intended!! Fun stuff though - more learning to do, indeed!!

Was that a Bobcat?
    Awesome bike! Nice photos!

mtbr member

Crankset

First, beautiful rig.

Second, with regard to your weight comment, it would be possible to shave some weight in the crankset in addition to the suggestions made by Chad. The Truvativ GXP carbon weighs in at 850 to 890 grams. The Truvativ uses a forged interior spine made of aluminum under its carbon exterior as well as two-piece design for the chainring spider. Accordingly, they are about 100 grams heavier than an XTR 970 crankset, which weigh in around 770 grams.

The 24 to 25 lb range is possible. My 18" '06 Truth weighs in at 24.8 lbs with a Fox F100x, full XTR 960 group, XTR 965 wheelset with non-UST tires and Stan's, Ti Eggbeaters, Thomson post/stem, Fizik Gobi saddle, Easton Monkeylite SL, Chris King headset. With a Rock Shox SID and some stupid-light tires, such as Maxxis Maxxlite 310's, then it would definitely be sub-24. Although, I prefer the Fox for its steering accuracy and only run 310's on my hardtail in races with hardpack and pavement (e.g. Sonoma NORBA).

Enjoy the new ride!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips on making the bike lighter!! At this point, the wheels are 100% temporary, just to make it ridable. I'm considering buying a set of DT Swiss 4.1 D's, with CK hubs, and tubeless tires. How does that sound? Helpful? Wrong? etc...

Haha!! I actually put a big white sheet over our futon, then set the bike up on it, brought in 3 of our brightest $15 floor lamps for lighting, and took the pics. Then just photoshopped the crapola out of them!! Those 6 pictures took like 2 hours - and I really couldn't even get the full bike pic to look like anything like intended!! Fun stuff though - more learning to do, indeed!!

I kidd...
    Great bike, ride the hell out of it.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

Turner lurker
    I've also got a Moment that I've been riding for the last year or so, and though I've been racing XC with it, along with using it for urban rides, light freeride, etc...I wouldn't necessarily advise racing a moment for everyone!
    Reed's being modest! At the season opening race last year, guys where snickering at Reed as he pulled up to the starting line with a 32lb, 6" travel bike. One can only imagine what was going through their minds afterwards, when he stepped up to the top spot on the podium!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Trail
    ...lot of it is the way the bike handles and climbs and the engine pushing it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    lovely bike! i just recently got a 2007 truth, too. do you love it?!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Question is:

Does the 2007 frame come with hydraulic line guides?

Noc

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i have a 2005 truth and the final weight is 23.8 lbs (small frame). very light, very expensive. i will never spend this much on a bike again. dont get me wrong the bike is wonderful, but in the end..not worth the $$.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

Truth to Moment comparison

This will be a different ride style for me too, as in lighter, faster, 'weird' turning for a while. I've also got a Moment that I've been riding for the last year or so, and though I've been racing XC with it, along with using it for urban rides, light freeride, etc...I wouldn't necessarily advise racing a moment for everyone! (Though, it works "okay" just a bit slow turning) Now it'll be a tough choice to decide which bike to take to the trails for group rides.?.
    Reed
    I'd be interested to hear your comparisons between the Truth and the Moment. I haven't spent much time on a Truth, but I own a Moment and an Epi right now. Great bikes. Been trading rides back and forth, dialing them both in over the past few months. The Moment's slow steering use to bother me a lot until I shortened the stem. It handles much better and now I actually prefer riding the Moment. After some deliberation (had to sell one of them to make room for a FS 29r), I decided to put the Epi up on Ebay (hopefully this week).

What type of trail riding are you doing (rocky, rooty, smooth, etc). Please post a ride report soon.
    Thanks!

The Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by aizu1
    I'd be interested to hear your comparisons between the Truth and the Moment. I haven't spent much time on a Truth, but I own a Moment and an Epi right now. Great bikes. Been trading rides back and forth, dialing them both in over the past few months. The Moment's slow steering use to bother me a lot until I shortened the stem. It handles much better and now I actually prefer riding the Moment. After some deliberation (had to sell one of them to make room for a FS 29r), I decided to put the Epi up on Ebay (hopefully this week).

What type of trail riding are you doing (rocky, rooty, smooth, etc). Please post a ride report soon.
    Thanks!
    Hello aizu1!

I wish I could give more experience-ful comparisons between the two, but man, this weather in the Nashville, TN area has just been wet, wet, wet!! The new ride hasn't even seen any dirt yet - ugh! The few parking lot rides I've taken it on have been a learning experience already though. With the lower stem/bars set up it's really different. I found a small stairway that has a few stairs, then flat, few more stairs, flat, etc...and I really almost felt as if I was going to go over the bars!! I put the seat down about a half inch, but for racing I don't think it should go any lower. I guess I'll just really have to learn a new style of riding. Other than that I love everything about it - just haven't ridden such a race-oriented bike yet.

On a side note - I was able to get some wheels this week, and some new pedals, so the weight went down considerably!! Dt Swiss 4.1 D wheels with CK hubs, Kenda karma tubeless and then some shimano pd-m540's. I just used the bathroom scale, so no telling how 'off' that is - but it came in at 25.6 lbs, which was lighter than I expected - so that's pretty exciting!!

More on this comparison soon - weather permitting!!

Oops - forgot style of trail riding. My favorite is a trail called Hamilton Creek here in the area, it's really rocky, rooty, got some decent drops up to 4/5 feet max, few decent hills (not mountainous), few switchbacks - just about everything except mountains. The moment absolutely loved all of that stuff, even the climbing part. Switchbacks, not so much - but still doable - the suspension just allowed everything to happen! I can't imagine this trail with a lighter bike!! (less drops, I guess??)

mtbr member
    This is a very nice bike; Iíve been considering the 2007 Truth for a while now. I may pull the trigger sometime in March or April. The price of this frame will delay the build for at least a few months in my case, but Iím 85% sure this is the bike Iím going with. The other consideration would be the 2007 Flux. This will be my very first full suspension bike, so I know Iím in for a very different ride moving forward.

Great Pictures and thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    aries,
    IMO the flux will be a bit better on the real steep techy downhills and the truth will be a bit better climber. i have a truth and have ridden the flux, so i am speaking from my experence only. both are good bikes. just depends on what you place more value on.

Mtb & Bassoon player
    Wath a beauty!!!
    Really very nice Bike!!

mtbr member
    I need a bike that can assist me on the hills. I'm not a fast rider, but I can keep pace for the most part. I find that I loose ground on hills. This year is when I want to challange myself to do a little better in that area.
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast