mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New member to the Ellsworth 'clan'

Hello everyone,
    I was very happy to find this Ellsworth manufacturer forum on Mtbr, what a service!
    I just recently bought an Epiphany and......

in short i Loooveeee it!

Now for the long:
    I am in my early 30's and have been MTBing and road riding for the last 18 years. Only current racing is the occasional 24 hr team event.
    5ft 9", 150 lbs. I ride hard, but i am not hard on my equipment

My current 2 rides were a steel hardtail (KHS) and a 2002 Kona Stinky (5 inch travel, Vanilla R shock). Both bikes have a lockout on the fork and i use it all the time when i ride my hardtail. Both bikes are also outfitted with XT thumbshifters circa the late 80's (hence the handle). its funny, a lot of the younger riders will notice the shifters and think that they are the latest new cool thing.

95% of my riding takes place at 3 locations near my home, the first is about a 10 minute ride from my doorstep and it is all smooth flowy rolling singletrack...total hardtail zone. The second place i ride is flatter, and SUPER rocky, and fun fun fun. This is Stinky land.
    Third place is moderately bumpy but super twisty techy with tons of steep ups and downs.
    Until now, i always had trouble deciding which bike to take here the super-efficient beat the crap out of me hardtail or the energy robbing, heavy (36+lbs) but fun to ride, and climbing traction galore (i thought) Stinky.

You can see were this is going...and how my new Epi fits the bill perfectly.
    I was pretty sure i wanted a Horst link type of bike, I wanted an efficent design however being sort of a retro-grouch, all of these new linkage and VPP bikes scare me off.

Anyway, i dont have very deep pockets so the build kit is not breath-taking, but i think i have a sensible parts pick that offers decent level of performance and reliability without costing too much of the $$$. Hopefully i put the money in the important places.
    I will touch on some of the high points here but this is already getting pretty long:
    Medium frame, blue marble.

RS MC3.3 shock: no lockout was not an option (personal feeling). I actually love this shock. its my first air shock, and though it may look clunky, i think it offers a far better package than the Float R, RP3 or RP23. It has full open position (Float R), adjustable platform setting (with a sensible adjuster knob which actually makes a difference), and fully closed position which locks the shock out for those road sections that i invariablyhave in my rides). It also fits on the EPI in the 'upright position', with the air can on top, so the main lever is just under the top-tube...easily reachable. Not too many of these out there so reliability may be an issue but look at all of the problems with the RP3...Kudos to Ellsworth for making this an option.
    Also of note is that i run my shock at about 80 psi (roughly half of my weight) which is a heckuv a lot lower than you folks are running your RP3s. Lower pressure=less leaks....maybe

Fork is currently an 02 Vanilla RL. This is the fork of my hardtail and i am still on the fence about getting a new Vanilla or a Float. I like the reliability of the good ole coil spring, but the Floats get a pretty good rap. I see adjustable spring rate with the Float as the biggest selling factor, over the lighter weight.

The rest of the bike decent, is run of the mill, reliable, low bling stuff.

3 more points:
    - i too have noticed a lot of brake-hose slap on the underside of the top tube. I wraped mine in a band-aid and then some duct tape, problem solved but none too pretty.
    - As well, i have run my rear der cable in the left-most cable bosses under the tt, and then crossing over behind the seat tube to the right seat stay. A zip-tie at the top of the seat-stay, keeps the housing from hitting the tire. And i have no problems shifting...but hey: thumbies!
    - No pitting yet on those Mg rockers, but since i ride year round in the Canadian winters, where they'd rather salt than plow; i will be keeping a sharp eye out

Sorry this is so long, I've been kinda keeping it pent-up and i just wanted to lay it all on the line. You seem like a pretty helpful crew and i am very happy to have come across this message board,

cheers!
    Thumbies

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Glad to hear you're digging the Epi. I've been on mine now since July and am loving it.
    Demoed the Spot and the 5.5. No comparison for me, the Epi, was hands down the better bike for what I need. My only gripe is, I feel like it's a little overpriced. The frame really should'nt cost more than 2k. The quality of the paint and the welds are pretty darn nice though.

Anyway, welcome aboard, ehh!!!

mtbr member
    Welcome aboard. This forum was helpful to me when I was buying an Ellsworth. Ended up scoring a Epiphany which is just a brilliant bit of gear. I've abused the thing all year and gone through a few components in a mix of XC and endurance events.

The bike is currently going through a transition from an XC setup to more heavy trail ride, so I can't wait to get the thing back together. I have the same problem with the brake line slapping on the top tube and use duct tape as well. I was looking at bleeding and shortening the line to fit proper but decided to go with goodridge braided hoses. I run a fox RP3 and haven't had any problems at all with it that you speak of ?

I like the look of the RS rear shocks and would proberly fit one in an upgrade. Be warned riding an Ellsworth is additive, I hope my next one is pink.

anc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Had the same issue with mine.

Used a small strip of strong double sided tape/pad to fix the cable to the frame in the middle of the tube, no more noise.

Used this: http://www.makingdiyeasier.co.uk/uni...ext-ultra.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

brake hose slap and RP3 'issues'

Thanks for the link to the no-more-nails tape, interesting looking stuff, but i dont see how you can use this tape to stick your hose to the frame and not leave any exposed stickey bits which would attract all sorts of crud. it also says on the package: "permanent" this scares me.

as for my comments about the RP3; firstly i should say that i have never used one. And in fact it was the shock that thought i wanted until i read the mixed reviews on MTBR.com. Couple the common issues reviewed there with the funky 'upside-down' mounting position for the RP3 which would make on-the-fly adjustment uncomfortably difficult. Well dangerous actually, and it can already be a challenge to keep the rubber-side down just riding along.

I believe i read somewhere that the prime reason for inverting the RP3 was because FOX had actually inverted the stickers. I have also heard, that it is because the top link (the magnesium piece) can bottom out on part of the shock (the schrader valve i think).

thumbies

"Its All Good"
    I thought by now that Ellsworth may have a third cable guide now in the middle of the TT.... I added a plastic one to my Id, worked a treat...

thumbies, I never had an issue at all with my RP3, have now gone to an RP23, am stoked with it also...............Mind you it will be interesting to hear how you find your RS shock over time...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

anc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    As I said small strip does the job fine 3mm by 20mm. It is quite malleable therefore it grabs the cable and doesn't leave any sticky surface.

Also it isn't permanent, its strong enough to hold the cable firmly.

mtbr member
    That reminds me, the on the fly pro pedal thing is a bugger. For some reason I always seem to think about flicking the switch but don't want to take my hands off the bars.

I did this once in a race when I came up to a narly downhill section and went to flick off the propedal and ended up catching the jatz crackers on the stem on the way over the handlebars. Bent back the juicies and lost about 5 five positions, and a bruises that lasted a week. Still could have been worse, I wonder if it can be mounted the other way up so you don't have as far to reach.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have the RP3 inverted on my ID, thought it would be a pain at first, but not much of a problem after getting used to it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I used a stick-on cable/line holder to hold the hydraulic brake line under the top tube of my Moment. It works perfectly. I got it from an Internet bike store. I am sure that if you ask for it, or search on the Internet, you will find it. Cheap.