mtbr member

New (to me) Evolve

I sold my MCR9 and fork this weekend. I'm of the age where hard tails have lost their charm. I found this '09 Evolve on Ebay and scooped it up. Its in good shape; the pivots are in great condition and the shock was just rebuilt by Push Ind. I have some of the parts for the build, but I'm waiting for the crank, brakes, fork and front wheel.
    I just got back into biking after a couple of years off due to a lack of time. A career switch later, and I have all summer long to bike. This will actually be the 4th bike I've built up since August. I sort of went through a progression from single-speed 26er (full rigid) to single-speed 29er (Kona Unit, full rigid, niner carbon fork) to 1x9 29er (MCR9, Fox fork) and now I have finally found the end of my little journey with the Evolve. It was going to be a 2x9, but I just found a 3x9 XTR (2010) at CC for $299 and a new set of XO shifters for $100 so I'm thinking 3x9 for a while.
    I'm stoked! I can't wait for the parts and the good weather to get here, but I'll ride in the snow too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) Evolve-evolve.jpg  

Banks

mtbr member

Update...

I finally got the crank today. I'm still waiting on the fork, brakes, and wheels. I also swapped the navy headset for a pewter that I had; it kind of calms the blue down. I also have the bars, stem, grips and shifters (that's right...the shifters are pink).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) Evolve-crank.jpg  

New (to me) Evolve-ellsht.jpg  

Banks

mtbr member
    Brakes finally got here. Tech X2's 183/160. Fork is on RLC 100 15QR. Just waiting for the wheels now...probably won't be here until late next week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) Evolve-hopelever.jpg  

New (to me) Evolve-hope.jpg  

New (to me) Evolve-hoperear.jpg  

Banks

Lets ride!
    nice...I am doing the same thing...
    I have everything except frame , wheels and cranks
    11 Ellsworth Evolve still in box
    10 Salsa El Mariachi Ti
    96 Kona Hei Hei Ti

mtbr member
    Is the bike finished yet? Anxious to see the finished product!

mtbr member
    I'm still waiting on the rear wheel. The front got here Thursday. The wait is driving me nuts because the weather here in Utah has made a turn for the better and its been in the mid to high 30's lately. Not that any of the trails are ridable, but at least I could get outside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) Evolve-kingfront.jpg  

Banks

mtbr member
    Wow, looks like the frame was never ridden.

mtbr member
    Trust me, it was ridden. Just well cared for.

mtbr member
    Here's the almost complete bike. I'm still waiting for the rear wheel. I put on an old Bonty Race that I still have lying around. First thing I noticed was how much stiffer the 15qr makes everything (I'm sure the Flow is helping too). I got in an hour this morning @ 21 degrees F. It was actually a good ride until the sun emerged and started melting everything and turning it to mud. It's been a while since I had a front der. Pictures aren't the best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) Evolve-evolve15.jpg  

New (to me) Evolve-evolve152.jpg  

Banks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

evolve

Looking good. The weather in So. Cal has been glorious. The temp dropped 10 degrees to 70 which made for a great day on the trails. I cannot wait to get my new evolve built up and out there as well. Hope you get that rear wheel soon. That CK hum is worth riding for.

Robert

mtbr member
    Not to high jack your thread, but I just returned from riding my new Evolve. It's a 2010 clearance frame. The last large in stock Project Pink.

I'm smiling from ear to ear! So much more than I expected. It defies gravity on climbs, and rails the turns like a fighter jet. I'm in winter shape, and in no way capable of pushing this bike to it's limits. Still I crushed my local test loop faster than I did the last two seasons. I'm speechless.

The bike weighs in at 26.3 with:

Fox fit RLC 15mm
    Stans hubs Arch rims
    Maxxis Aspen / Ignitor (tubeless stans goop)
    Sram xo shifter
    sram xo rear dr
    XTR front
    Juicy Ultimate 180 front 160 rear
    noir carbon crankset
    thompson lay back post
    vector bar
    still working on a stem length.

I thought the 25" top tube length would necessitate a short stem, but the upright seat tube angle negates all that length. I'm running a lay back post, and still looking at a 110 or 120 mm stem. Tested a 110mm stem today and was pleasantly surprised by how well the Evolve turned in tight twisty single track especially at speed.

Well done Tony, and everyone at Elllsworth. I'll write up a review once I get the cockpit dialed in and put some more miles on her.
    Last edited by Bondseye; 01-30-2011 at 06:55 PM.