Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    148

    New to me Epiphany

    I just built up this 2008 Epiphany and cant wait to take it for a spin this weekend. Yes I realize the steer tube is stupid long, and yes I know Im missing the front derailleur...what kind does it take anyway? Any recommendations?

    Two questions...

    Ive got a monarch RT3 mid tune and ellsworth tuned Float R. Floodgate or no floodgate?
    Anyone else running their Epiphany as a 1x9? I really enjoy it on my other bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to me Epiphany-epiphany.jpg  


  2. #2
    LBS Manager
    Reputation: Johnny Hair Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,890
    The front der you need is the high clamp style

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    148
    do you happen to know the clamp diameter?

  4. #4
    LBS Manager
    Reputation: Johnny Hair Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,890
    Most of the newer ones come with shims for any size

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,679
    Quote Originally Posted by huevos View Post
    I just built up this 2008 Epiphany and cant wait to take it for a spin this weekend. Yes I realize the steer tube is stupid long, and yes I know Im missing the front derailleur...what kind does it take anyway? Any recommendations?

    Two questions...

    Ive got a monarch RT3 mid tune and ellsworth tuned Float R. Floodgate or no floodgate?
    Anyone else running their Epiphany as a 1x9? I really enjoy it on my other bike.
    Sram X-Gen, not so good.

    Are those the old magnesium rockers?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    148
    Kind of a yellowish hue...pretty sure the are magnesium. Should I be worried, I ride xc.

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,679
    Quote Originally Posted by huevos View Post
    Kind of a yellowish hue...pretty sure the are magnesium. Should I be worried, I ride xc.
    Maybe, Ellsworth recalled the original magnesium rockers because they broke...check back to the original threads in this forum a few years ago after they were introduced.

    WARNING epiphany owners-broken rocker arm


    Update on Epiphany rocker issue...



    The good ones will have serial numbers stamped on the inside of the re engineered rockers...if you don't have the serial numbers I'd contact Ellsworth and try to get an RO and a replacement.

    Not being the original owner of a bike that's out of warranty shouldn't be an issue as this is a serious safety concern and they should still honour the recall.

    Good luck.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    148
    It is one of the later mag rockers with the serial numbers. This appears to be one of the later frames and rockers. Hopefully things hold together. I saw one of these threads earlier.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13
    looking good, it will provide you with many years/miles of enjoyment

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    408
    No floodgate! You really don't need it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by outside! View Post
    No floodgate! You really don't need it.
    Okay, Ill try the float again. I tried it for one ride, it felt great going down, but awful going up. Am I the only one that thinks the torque numbers are really high on these bolts?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by huevos View Post
    Okay, Ill try the float again. I tried it for one ride, it felt great going down, but awful going up. Am I the only one that thinks the torque numbers are really high on these bolts?
    It may depend on your climbing style. I am mostly a granny gear, sit and spin type climber. Having said that, the times that I am in the wrong gear and have to stand and mash, the front fork moves around more than the rear suspension and whatever movement the rear has seems to increase traction. The only time I lock the rear is when I am climbing on pavement. I never use the platform setting on my rear shock.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by outside! View Post
    It may depend on your climbing style. I am mostly a granny gear, sit and spin type climber. Having said that, the times that I am in the wrong gear and have to stand and mash, the front fork moves around more than the rear suspension and whatever movement the rear has seems to increase traction. The only time I lock the rear is when I am climbing on pavement. I never use the platform setting on my rear shock.
    fair enough, it's certainly worth a try.

Similar Threads

  1. My New Epiphany
    By gone2vegas in forum Ellsworth
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-26-2009, 07:21 PM
  2. Epiphany Q's
    By moomin in forum Ellsworth
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 10:05 PM
  3. Fox F-120 on an Epiphany???
    By kbell in forum Ellsworth
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-02-2008, 10:34 AM
  4. Fox DHX 5.0 on an Epiphany?
    By Luke454 in forum Ellsworth
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2007, 12:29 PM
  5. Epiphany for a Big Guy??
    By cgreg in forum Ellsworth
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-13-2006, 01:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •