Thread: New Epiphany

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

New Epiphany

I've decided to buy an Epiphany to replace my 03 5 spot that I've just sold. I rode the Ells today for 3 hrs on a variety of different terrain, singletrack, steep climbs and some great techy stuff and was blown away by how much better it is for me . Problem is I'm not sure what shock to run. The choice is the standard float r, which seemed pretty good or the rp23. I'm used to a dhx air on the 5 spot, does anyone run this shock on the Epiphany. Any advice on shock choice would be great

mtbr member

Epip shock

Congrats on your new ride! I've got the Standard "Ellsworth tuned" Float R on my Epiphany. Just did my first ride on it this morning for a few hours and it seemed very smooth.
    What shock was on the one you rode? Opinions?

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Sparky,
    First off, Welcome! You are going to love the Epiphany. You should check out this thread How do they compare? in it I questioned if the RP23 was more shock than the Epi needs. Well since I posted the thread about a month ago I will say the RP23 IS more shock that the Epiphany needs! But I won’t be changing it out for the Float R. If I were you…No, if I were to do it over again I would get the stock shock and use the extra money some where else on the bike. Hope this helps!
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prebonked
    What shock was on the one you rode? Opinions?
    Nevermind, I re-read.

Enjoy your ride...

Time is not a road.
    ICT does work pretty well, despite what people will want to tell you, so the Ellsworth tuned Float will be effective. The RP23 does give you that option to turn it on and off if you want to (I generally run mine full open and sometimes pos. "1" on climbs). It depends on the kind of rider you are: do you like to mess with things, tune, switch, fiddle or just get on and ride? The RP23 will give you a little more to fiddle with. I'd say the DHX air will not be an improvement over either the Float or RP shocks, plus the latter two are custom tuneable at Push, which is always a big consideration when I purchase shocks, but may not mean squat to you.

aje
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Personally...I run it on about 10% to 15% sag (with propedal off) and leave it on the No. 2 setting. With technical or steeper climbs I have it on....but generally run with it off. So far its been pretty superb. I thought I had the front sus dialed in, but I keep finding sweeter spots every time I make changes in the compression and rebound ???!! (I've got a 07 Talas RLC)...perhaps I should've just got the Talas X and leave it to the technology to get it right for me eh...

Been riding my Epi for about 3months or thereabouts now....and loving it..

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I like the Rock Shox MC3. It has a larger air volume and really matches well with my 32Float up front. I had a Fox float on my truth and it was ok. I like the way the rear sticks to the ground and I float over everything. This shock feels better than my Romic coil over. The bike goes anywhere. It has a 3 different settings. Lockout being one. You won`t need it. It rides the best in full gate. Plus it is mounted right side up so switches and air cap are easy to adjust. Trust me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the input guys, I did think the standard float was great. what really suprised me was that before I rode the bike, I had no idea what shock was fitted. Was expecting something a bit more sophisticated, like the rp23. Just shows you how well dialled the design is. Wondered whether it was worth spending the extra money on the rp23. Doesn't sound like it
    I do ride on some really technical stuff in Southern Spain when I can get over there and wondered if the rp23 would be the best all round shock because it gives me the option to switch out the pp altogether. When I ride there with my 5 spot ,there is a big difference with having the pp off, you can lean back and hang on
    I will be taking the Ells over to spain and the rp23 option will only cost me an extra $50 over the float.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You have a private message.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm also going to order an Epi.

Here in the Alps I wonna go uphill for one to two hours sometimes on good fireroads. So is paddling more efficient with the rp23?

I think I do have to pay $150 more - is it worth spending the money?

And does anyone have a picture of the ellsworth hubs the 07 bikes got?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ray, changing the shock wont help you master Heinze 57, or Tello, or Bubion

But your new found confidence will