mtbr member

New to Ellsworth...questions about a Moment

Hello. I am looking to purcase a Moment frame from the Ellsworth outlet store...the price is finally within my reach. I did call and had a number of my questions answered, but I now have some more that I thought I would run by the mtbr folks.

Is SST actually SST.1...arethey the same thing?? The frame is listed as SST AND SST.1. I know that it is not SST.2.

Is that roughly a 201-ish model?

ISCG05 tabs? Can anyone confirm?

Have any of you ordered direct from the Ellsworth "outlet"? How was the experience?

I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on this, but wanted to hear some oter perspectives...especially because of the "bad CS" mentions I read from time to time. What can you tell me?

THANKS!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    sst just means swaged shaped and tapered. .1 and .2 are lighter and stronger I believe.

From the ells site:
    Shaped, Swaged and Tapered Tube Set (SST)
    Our tubes have been optimized for strength, rigidity, weight, and tube joint interfaces. The tubes are tapered, swaged and shaped providing more control over the precise wall thickness that occurs when the tube takes its final shape. SST.2 tubes transmit all the possible torque a rider may dish out, while maintaining alignment of critical suspension points to ensure the best possible ride.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    in all honesty i'd look at a titus elquapo. $1000 for a frame with up to date geometry and tubing. horst link and now on-one owning them, so a good financial base behind them. iscg tabs and 30.9mm seat tube.

the moment is an ok bike, but for the money the titus is the best bang for the buck

the moment does not have iscg tabs that i am aware of, at least the model you are looking at doesn't. i also think it still has the 27.2mm seat tube which really limits you if you want to run a dropper post at all.

if you order from on-one in the uk, an elguapo with monarch rt3 is $880 shipped with no taxes or import fees
    Last edited by qbert2000; 10-01-2012 at 08:16 AM.

I wanna ride.
    Hey Badger. SST=SST1. 1-1/8" head tube. I bought a used 2011 SST1, and YES, it does have ISCG 05 tabs, don't let the uneducated tell you otherwise.
    This is my 2nd Ellsworth, my first being an 05 Joker that i use for my park bike with a set of 888's on it. I've been beating it on hills like Fernie, Panorama, and Kicking horse for 3 years, as well as Moose Mountain near Bregg Creek in AB, and have yet to have any issues.
    I read thru the forums here, front to back several times, and finally bought this moment used, had it for a couple weeks, and haven't ridden enough yet really enjoy it. Having said that, the few rides I've gotten have been enjoyable. I like this bike, and am impressed. Hope I stay that way!!!
    The prices on the web site are great now, and one good thing is they send it to a lbs, so you will have a shop involved if you have any problems. I see this as a plus.
    I have never looked at the titus, may be worth the look tho! Good luck, whatever you buy, and enjoy riding it!
    And for reference, I weigh in at 240lbs, before I gear up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anole View Post
    Hey Badger. SST=SST1. 1-1/8" head tube. I bought a used 2011 SST1, and YES, it does have ISCG 05 tabs, don't let the uneducated tell you otherwise.
    This is my 2nd Ellsworth, my first being an 05 Joker that i use for my park bike with a set of 888's on it. I've been beating it on hills like Fernie, Panorama, and Kicking horse for 3 years, as well as Moose Mountain near Bregg Creek in AB, and have yet to have any issues.
    I read thru the forums here, front to back several times, and finally bought this moment used, had it for a couple weeks, and haven't ridden enough yet really enjoy it. Having said that, the few rides I've gotten have been enjoyable. I like this bike, and am impressed. Hope I stay that way!!!
    The prices on the web site are great now, and one good thing is they send it to a lbs, so you will have a shop involved if you have any problems. I see this as a plus.
    I have never looked at the titus, may be worth the look tho! Good luck, whatever you buy, and enjoy riding it!
    And for reference, I weigh in at 240lbs, before I gear up.
    they should update their pics on the webstore then, because the one there shows no iscg tabs. the titus is a tapered headtube too, btw

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I like the el guapo but after cracking the frame on my motolite and finding out warranty was useless since being bought out from on-one ive decided to stay clear of anything titus related.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    I did check on a Titus EG...Large not available until December. I thought it was a good deal, and then I saw the Ellsworth and thought it was an even better deal. I am hoping that I am correct.

Yeah...the web store photo does not show ISCG tabs...but when I called and asked, I was told that it did have the tabs. I am hoping it has ISCG 05 tabs so tat I can run an e13 LG1 setup. I also have a shifty front set up if it does not have the tabs.

Anole...Thanks for the words of encouragement. Sounds like you are pretty happy with your SST1. According to Ellworth, my frame has the 1 and 1/8th head tube...which I very much prefer. Was your 2011 built in the US?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgermtb View Post
    I did check on a Titus EG...Large not available until December. I thought it was a good deal, and then I saw the Ellsworth and thought it was an even better deal. I am hoping that I am correct.

Yeah...the web store photo does not show ISCG tabs...but when I called and asked, I was told that it did have the tabs. I am hoping it has ISCG 05 tabs so tat I can run an e13 LG1 setup. I also have a shifty front set up if it does not have the tabs.

Anole...Thanks for the words of encouragement. Sounds like you are pretty happy with your SST1. According to Ellworth, my frame has the 1 and 1/8th head tube...which I very much prefer. Was your 2011 built in the US?
    all ellsworths are built in the us except the glimpse which is a complete bike and their carbon offerings.

you are happy with 1 1/8"? it may be ok for what you have right now but is a little limiting going forward if you end up needing a new fork or wish to run an angleset in the future

I wanna ride.
    Yes, it has an 05 pattern. They started installing these mid '10 I believe. And yes, mine was US built. I believe the only one not built in the US is the glimpse. This is their entry line Ellsworth.

Badger, after reading all the negatives I had to really do some reseach and thinking, but at the end of the day, I really liked what they had to offer, and after what my poor joker went thru, and is still going thru, I didn't feel it was too much chance to take. Lots of people here think otherwise, but I'll ride my bike, and they can ride theirs, right? Cheers man, I hope you enjoy whatever you buy!

mtbr member

cool...went ahead with the order.

Frame has been ordered.

qbert...yeah, I like the 1 and 1/8th steer tube (head tube too I guess)...primarily because every tapered fox 36 fork I've ever owned has had the creaky crown/stanchion problem. My current 1 and 1/8th TALAS is quiet so far. I also like the "old school" standard cup headset. My head starts to spin with all the new standards. I know 1 and 1/8th and like it. Kinda the same with BB threads...I like them more than the newer press fit wonder BBs. I think some of my aversion comes from riding a SS for so long.

Anole...thanks again for your input. I am stoked to know that Ellsworths are made in the US...I thought I read a few threads that lamented their overseas production.

Frame should be here Thursday. I will post up some follow up pics.

mtbr member

Update...

The Moment is now in my possession.

I built it and rode it this past weekend. I will post up some pics tonight.

Overall, the frame is really very nice...and I am very happy with the value. The suspension action is smooth, quiet. The bike pedals exceptionally well for its 160mm travel. I wonder if that is becuase of the frame weight or te suspension design. It is interesting that the frame tubing is not as manipulated as some other similar category bikes. I do not mind, though. I appreciate that is has a somewhat simpler look. I think the craftsmanship may trump uber-swaged tube joinery for me this time around.

I have had a positive experience with Ellswroth so far. I wanted to make sure to share that publicy, because there really is quite a bit of "meh" that people share about their dealings with Ellsworth. I know that I am still pretty new to Ellsworth, but so far so good. They answer the phone when I call, answer my obsessive questions, and have so far doen everything they said they would do.

Very Happy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to Ellsworth...questions about a Moment-dsc_0482.jpg  

Last edited by badgermtb; 10-08-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: pic

mtbr member
    Nice bike! Ellsworth has some of the best suspension I have ever ridden.
    Best Source for Ellsworth Devinci and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

I wanna ride.
    Badger, that is sweet! Glad you like it, I hope you enjoy the riding as much as I am on mine! You did a 1x9 or 1x10 set up? I'm looking for a truvativ hammerschmidt now for mine, I think that it would be the way for me to go. And a dropper post! Very nice bike!

mtbr member

1x9 for now...2x9 or 10 later

Badger, that is sweet! Glad you like it, I hope you enjoy the riding as much as I am on mine! You did a 1x9 or 1x10 set up? I'm looking for a truvativ hammerschmidt now for mine, I think that it would be the way for me to go. And a dropper post! Very nice bike!
    Running 1x9 with an 11-36 rear cassette and XO shirt cage. Works good...but I think the bike would benefit from a couple of cainrings up front. I just don;t like derailluers.

Anole...I used to own a Hammerschmidt on a different bike. They are OK. BUT...the high gear really has a lot of drag. If you are riding flowy trails you will notice it. If you are riding apline and longer mountain descents, you may not be bothered by it. I found that I basically never left the low gear setting on the Hammerschmidt.

It was a clean, and quiet piece of gear, though. Never had any mecanical issues. The mounting instructions are a little strong...I never did any facing prep and it worked just fine.

I wanna ride.
    Hey Badger, Hows the bike? So......you would not recommend the Hammerschmidt, then? I get to go for a ride out in the mountains this saturday, and have held off buying the h.s., so I guess I'll derailleur up. Seeing as I spend most of my time in the middle chain ring, with the big ring replaced with a bashy, and keep the granny for emergency situations, it doesn't sound like the solution for me. Maybe on a DH or park bike, but I don't wanna drop major coin without actually trying it. Thanks, eh, and enjoy the fall riding. There's a good chance I'll get to ride in snow on saturday!

mtbr member

down on the HS

Hey Badger, Hows the bike? So......you would not recommend the Hammerschmidt, then? I get to go for a ride out in the mountains this saturday, and have held off buying the h.s., so I guess I'll derailleur up. Seeing as I spend most of my time in the middle chain ring, with the big ring replaced with a bashy, and keep the granny for emergency situations, it doesn't sound like the solution for me. Maybe on a DH or park bike, but I don't wanna drop major coin without actually trying it. Thanks, eh, and enjoy the fall riding. There's a good chance I'll get to ride in snow on saturday!
    Hey Anole. Yeah...I'm kinda down on the HS. My buddy still owns one and likes it, though...and we ride the same terrain.

Anyhow, I put a front mech on the Moment. 2x9 for now, and it is great so far. It simply spins smoother than the HS. The HS has too much drag for my liking...only in the high gear, though.

I am still getting used to the Moment. So far it is a great bike. The suspension feel is very linear to me. Simple, not too progressive. The pedal feel is good. I have been toying with the idea of going with some lighter patrs and having the Moment as my long travel trail bike. First thing to go would be the Transition wheels...and then I might go with a lighter fork.

Whaddya think?

I wanna ride.
    I'm putting the front derailleur on tonight, I'll save the money I was going to drop into the HS, and put it into my DH Joker, and get it resort ready. After the beating I put on it this year, it needs some TLC! I have Sun Single Tracks with holy rollers, and Mavic Deemax with specialized rollers in a 2.4, so I don't know what a light wheel and tire combop is!!! But a guy could easily change the character and feel with a lighter wheel set, and tires. Worth a try, I'll borrow a set at some point, and see how it feels. What would you run for a fork? What are you at for weight now? Is it a noticeable weight? I'm actually going to use mine in the mountains saturday, so I'm looking forward to seeing if I built it balanced, in terms of a weight I can ride, but still burly enough for the downs, stunts and small drops.

mtbr member
    I'm putting the front derailleur on tonight, I'll save the money I was going to drop into the HS, and put it into my DH Joker, and get it resort ready. After the beating I put on it this year, it needs some TLC! I have Sun Single Tracks with holy rollers, and Mavic Deemax with specialized rollers in a 2.4, so I don't know what a light wheel and tire combop is!!! But a guy could easily change the character and feel with a lighter wheel set, and tires. Worth a try, I'll borrow a set at some point, and see how it feels. What would you run for a fork? What are you at for weight now? Is it a noticeable weight? I'm actually going to use mine in the mountains saturday, so I'm looking forward to seeing if I built it balanced, in terms of a weight I can ride, but still burly enough for the downs, stunts and small drops.
    Hey Anole--

Funny you mention changing the wheels. Last night, I put on some 2.35 nevegals on a 32mm width rim. VERY close to the chainstays. Not good, so I am removing at least the rear tire tonight and going with something smaller.

I've also been thinking about going with a blingy build on the Moment, putting some lighter wheels and other parts on it. I think it would just shred the trails. Right now, i think it probably weighs in at 32-33 lbs. I haven't weighed it, but that is my best guess.

Here is my dilemna...do I bling out the Moment, and have it as my ONE bike...or do I leave it as is, and build up my Chromag Aperture hardtail as a backup? I like the idea of having two bikes. The season is short here, and I don't really want to miss any riding. That would only happen, of course, if I had a frame/component issue with the Moment. I am hopeful that that will not happen. I really don;t ride all that aggressively...mostly rooty trail riding, some rocks, and no drops over a foot...I like to keep the wheels on the ground.

I wanna ride.

I'm not the best to ask!!! My wife says bikes.....

Are my cocaine!!! Highly addicted and needing a new fix constantly!!! At present, I have an 05 7" travel Ellsworth Joker, with Marz888's for ridin shuttle and lift assist, my 11 moment that I built to go every where I HAVE to pedal to enjoy the trails, whether it's xc, or ride up trails to stunts, drops and other such trails between Red Deer and Vancouver. I did build it to be my "ONE" bike, as in if I can only take one for a variety of different rides, I want uber capable.

I also have a Rocky Mtn Cirrus hardtail that I bought new working in a bike shop in '90, it's built to cruise paved paths and tow my 6 yr old, cause I just can't deal with a hardtail in thes bush and mountains now-a-days, my 40 yr old back does not like that anymore, and it reminds me of that fact every time I think it's a good idea!

AND, I have a Rocky Mountain Solo CX that I bought with visions of touring through the Rockies, only to realize that I don't like riding a bike on busy mountain highways, cause people driving these same highways look at the mountains instead of the road!! So my 11 yr old co-opted that one, promising to pay me back by learning his guitar REALLY well!!

I think you could build it for all purposes, if you're willing to have a couple sets of wheels, and maybe forks as well. I know it's a pain to change the forks out, but if you have the time, and know what you're planning, it's do-able. Or you could strike for a good all-around build, and over time, figure out what works for you, and what doesn't. But 2 sets of wheels never hurts, just so that as you do decide to go for some bigger drops , and funner trails you don't taco light weight stuff!!

To try to sum up this flippin novel I've written, I think that other than as a back up, in case of a wreck, your hardtail may languish, unloved, and uncared for like mine, cause I really do enjoy my moment! So set it up, and experiment, cause I think it will be the go to bike for 90% of what you do!

I wanna ride.
    So Badger, you riding yet? I had high hopes this week, but it's snowing like mad, and way in the minuses! I had to cheer myself up, so after tinkering on the Joker, I bought a used '10 Dare, in the breast cancer pink model! I am in process of building it up, and sold the joker with a bunch of parts to a buddy! Hope you get a lot of rides in this year! Cheers!