Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    constant lurker
    Sep 2004

new ellsworth epiphany...

hi everyone, im just kinda excited this evening, i've just bought a new ellsworth epiphany
    it is a custom built...i should be getting it by mail, hopefully by next week...and this is how i set it up...
    Ellsworth Epihany 2006 size 15 nebula blue with RP3 shock
    Fox Float RLC 140 disc
    Mavic Crossmax ST (07) I.S. disc pair
    Selle Italia SLR gel flow
    Maxxis High Rollers 26 x 2.35 UST tubeless
    Easton EC70 CNT MonkeyLite carbon bar high rise 25.4
    Avid Juicy 5 disc brakes 185 mm front 160 mm rear
    Shimano XT crankset with BB 175 mm
    Shimano XT M761 rear derailleur long cage
    Shimano XT M761 front derailleur top pull
    Shimano HG-93
    Shimano XT M 760 9 speed cassette 11-34
    Shimano XT M760 rapidfire shift lever pair
    Thomson Elite stem 90 mm 5 degree rise
    Thomson Elite seatpost 410 mm lenght
    Chris King nothreadset 1-1/8 blue
    Odi lock on grips
    ...what do you think of my set up guys... ? i can't wait to be back on the trail with this dream bike, my specialized enduro is kinda busted right now...so, i've been riding my road bike for the past few days now, thanks for the warm weather we been getting here in nj for the past few days now...i'll post some pics as soon as get my new rig...

Time is not a road.
    Looks solid! Can't wait to see the pix

Lots of new Epiphanies on the board. I was skeptical when I saw the price, but it hasn't detered the faithful.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    I have pretty much the same built exept for the fox talas
    the wheels and the brakes
    I think you should go for better brakes ( hope mono mini or magura or juicy carbon)

Five Alive
    Thinking about the same bike. Who did you buy from? Did you choose based on price, service, location?

over 50 years of cycling

Cool-blue Rhythm

I hope you post photos of your rig when you get it!

I just bought an Ellsworth Epi mail order and I HIGHLY recommend rbikes.com if you don't have a good LBS to buy an Elli from. They have a price range of very well thought out build kits and Mike and Adam there are amazing for their long distance customer service and good bike advice.

I just got my Epi last week, pulled it out of the box and had it rideable in a hour or two after work....unfortunately we have had TORRENTIAL downpours ever since I got it, except for a couple of hours which I ranted and raved through some required yard work (flood prevention related) instead of riding it. I am already impressed by riding it in my front yard trials course and finding some interesting challenges at the parking lot at work on my lunch break during short breaks in the rain. (Facilities group is already getting irritated at me )

Live in the moment.
    YMMV

mtbr member

nuthin' wrong w/ juicies IMO

Quote Originally Posted by french man
    I have pretty much the same built exept for the fox talas
    the wheels and the brakes
    I think you should go for better brakes ( hope mono mini or magura or juicy carbon)
    I have been running juicy 5's on my AM/FR bike for nearly a year, and people that hop on my bike always comment on how powerful they are. I run 8" Fr 7" rear...they are simple and effective. Sexy, no.

John
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

constant lurker
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Looks solid! Can't wait to see the pix

Lots of new Epiphanies on the board. I was skeptical when I saw the price, but it hasn't detered the faithful.

Enjoy!
    yeah, getting this bike is pretty pricey...but i guess it's worth it...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EnduroRN
    yeah, getting this bike is pretty pricey...but i guess it's worth it...
    No worries....it's sooo worth it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    sounds great to me - I'm loving the 07 Vanilla's on my Epi - very stiff and soooo plush

In fact I'm loving my Epi altogether - the best bike I've ever had,

Can't understand why people are saying there expensive - is this just in the States ? Over here in the UK they are 1268 compared to 1750 for a Nomad frame or 1450 for a 5 Spot.

Also Juicy 5's are great brakes - just as good as the 7's just not as pimpy !

Here's mine out on my local trails

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by justa
    Can't understand why people are saying there expensive - is this just in the States ? Over here in the UK they are 1268 compared to 1750 for a Nomad frame or 1450 for a 5 Spot.
    The price you pay on the Epi is the same for us, but the Nomads and Five Spots are significantly less here. In fact, we'd pay around 890 British pounds for one. So you can see where we consider the Epiphany one the more expensive bikes. That makes the Epiphany a steal in your market! Lucky!

over 50 years of cycling

well worth it!

Even in the USA, I don't find the Epi costing THAT much more than other "common" frames. I was comparing a built up Fuel EX9 to the Epi, based on a friend highly recommending the Fuel, and the price diff was not that much more really, by the time you climb into looking at the BMW's of bikes instead of the Kia's of bikes.

We FINALLY had an unexpected couple hour break between storm systems on a weekend, So I took my new Epi out for "First Mud" on my local neighborhood trail system affectionately called "Willows Fjords", for its steep ravine terrain. I had one set up issue that the shop missed (SRAM XGEN front der. set too low over a bash ring....BAD combo...gouged the frame) But after I repositioned the derailleur it was all sweetness and light, max steep stuff covered with slick leaves. The bike IS incredible!

You can have a bike that does it all, climbs like a cat, tech twisty, downhill....its ALL good!d

Still grinning.
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

constant lurker
    Sep 2004

update of my epiphany...

hello there guys, my new ellsworth epiphany is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow via UPS, and it's coming from cali...im so excited i should be riding my new rig by friday, hopefully it wont rain that day here in nj, i wish i could ride it on thanksgiving day...but im working well anyway, happy thanksgiving to everyone and dont stop HAMMERING...norm

i'll try to post some pics soon as i get it...

MolarM
    Jan 2006
    Enduro, you're gonna LOVE it!!!! It climbs and downhills just like everyone says. Post some pics when you get them. Have fun...... MM
    MolarM

MolarM
    Jan 2006
    Enduro- By the way, where are you getting that bike from? Who built it? MM
    MolarM

over 50 years of cycling

... and if we just ... prepare to grin!

What color did you get?

The more I ride my Epi, the more I like it!

Its been literally record breaking rains since the dry spell broke the day I got my Epi in my Seattle area location.

I FINALLY got the Epi out for a good long varied ride, pretty much with this expression on my face the whole time.

One thing to watch out for is front derailleur setup, especially if you run bash guard instead of a big ring. Setting the derailleur sloppy high is actually a good thing on this bike. Mine was set low and gouged the frame on my first ride. Best thing, after EVERYTHING is on the bike and dialed in, including adding any fender or other bits and pieces, is to deflate the shock and gently take the bike to FULL compression and make sure everything clears. The Epi just doesn't LOOK like it has as much travel as it does.

Absolutely NO regrets on my part for spending the little bit of extra cash on an Epi instead of a "normal" bike.

The Epi proves that one bike CAN do it all...climbs like a cat, descends like its on rails, and handles the tight technical, no problem.
    Pic from last weekends ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

constant lurker
    Sep 2004

here you go...

hey guys, here you go, my new ellsworth epipahany...just came out of the box...i ordered it from beyondbikes...and it's gorgeous...i got it last wednesday and we have a post thanksgiving ride today...it was mudfest...it rained all day thanksgiving day here...otherwise it was a good ride though i was having some kind of hangover from last night im still feeling the bike,making adjustments when necessary...overall i really enjoy this bike...enjoy guys...more pics coming up...

constant lurker
    Sep 2004

more pics...

built to rip...

over 50 years of cycling

Cool-blue Rhythm First Mud

Good pics and an awesome bike!

Its good to see its getting its taste of "first mud", being put to GOOD use right away, and not being pampered.

I slipped out for a quick local ride between rain today. Trails were covered with leaves and the steep hillside is still draining pretty well, so the bike didn't get all THAT muddy, But I sure am glad I wore armour! It was slick out there!

Dang, the Epi is niiiiiiice bike! Enjoy!
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

constant lurker
    Sep 2004

epiphany's first ride...

pre and post ride epi pics...it's an awesome rig...but i guess the real first test ride of this bike will be tomorrow...when i dont have a hangover

over 50 years of cycling

Good job! ridin' Clean

Somehow I have lucked out on keeping the Epi clean after a couple of rides, even with record breaking rains in our area. This is a mid-ride shot from today, and it was only slightly more splattered by the end of the ride. I have been finding trails that are low traffic and are covered by leaves.....that luck won't last.

BTW, I have been trying Eagle 1 "Wax as you dry" on the anodized finish and most of the bike. It seems to be working out well. It doesn't make it look all "waxy" but mud doesn't stick as well and it seems to clean off easier.

I have been using the E1 WAYD on my Honda Element for years, which has a challenge of metal and semi-matte plastic that has some sheen. Of course I haven't put it to a REAL torture test on the Epi....yet.....
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

constant lurker
    Sep 2004
    here's another pic of my muddy epi... sorry guys, having trouble uploading pics right now...i'll try again later...
    Last edited by EnduroRN; 11-25-2006 at 05:46 AM.

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Trail
    Somehow I have lucked out on keeping the Epi clean after a couple of rides, even with record breaking rains in our area. This is a mid-ride shot from today, and it was only slightly more splattered by the end of the ride. I have been finding trails that are low traffic and are covered by leaves.....that luck won't last.

BTW, I have been trying Eagle 1 "Wax as you dry" on the anodized finish and most of the bike. It seems to be working out well. It doesn't make it look all "waxy" but mud doesn't stick as well and it seems to clean off easier.

I have been using the E1 WAYD on my Honda Element for years, which has a challenge of metal and semi-matte plastic that has some sheen. Of course I haven't put it to a REAL torture test on the Epi....yet.....

What is that mysterious headset assembly?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    that's a great pic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Nice

lets RIP yellow
    Go big JR

constant lurker
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EnduroRN
    here's another pic of my muddy epi... sorry guys, having trouble uploading pics right now...i'll try again later...
    here it is...today's ride was awesome, nice day...temp in the 50's...sunny...enjoy...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast