mtbr member

New Distance Update

Today was the first ride on the 2005 Distance for my buddy. The bike was performing great with no hiccups or mishaps.... then the 2005 Fox Float R went south 3/4 of the way through our ride at Goosberry Mesa. I've never seen an air shock fail like this. It compressed to 90% of it's stroke, and wouldn't return. We fiddled with the rebound thinking the adjuster got moved or something. Nope. Nota. Let all the air out, nothing. Pumped all the air back in, 195#, got maybe 1/4" back. Had to jeep trail it back to the car.

At the start of the ride, the bike felt fine. We got about 15-20% sag in the shock before set up and rebound was set about middle to one click to slow. Everything seemed fine.

I had a Romic D on hand with a 7.5" eye to eye and used the bushings from the Fox. The bike seemed to be much plusher and responsive. Not only that, but A LOT tunable. The Fox will be sent back Monday. What a way to start out on your first ride with your new bike.

Does Ellsworth have an option for the Romic for the Distance? Or is it just going to be air?

Jm.
    mtbr member
    frame misalignment could cause that problem.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    frame misalignment could cause that problem.
    I don't see how if a replacement shock fixed the problem. Or am I missing something technical here???
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I don't see how if a replacement shock fixed the problem. Or am I missing something technical here???
    Yes. It's less likely to happen with coil shock.

One reason for shock failure could have been main air pressure escaping to negative air chamber. It can be relieved by pushing needle to neg air chamber along shock shaft, it is likely to scratch shaft surface though.
    Flexy or misaligned frame can lead to this, but it doesn't need much more than loose pivot on monopivot bike.
    Or it could be Fox problem.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    no, the thing is, if frame alignment caused the problem, the coil shock is running on borrowed time.

it's hard to say if it is the problem here, but it is a possibility and it does happen.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by markom
    Yes. It's less likely to happen with coil shock.

One reason for shock failure could have been main air pressure escaping to negative air chamber. It can be relieved by pushing needle to neg air chamber along shock shaft, it is likely to scratch shaft surface though.
    Flexy or misaligned frame can lead to this, but it doesn't need much more than loose pivot on monopivot bike.
    Or it could be Fox problem.
    Ahh I see, that makes sense....
    Trev!