mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New bikes announced , to be released at interbike

So let's start the speculation What's coming ?

I will start with a new Moment . This time a proper Enduro Dh bike.

So what does anyone else think?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hopefully a 4" travel 27.5 bike! Like the absolute truth was supposed to be.

Nor­wegr
    So the change of ownership was hogwash?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My guess is that there will be an attempt (hopefully successful) to bring the bikes in line with what's popular now. It seems like the Moment's gotta make a come back -- maybe all carbon, 27.5, lower BB, internal routing, 65-66 degree head angle, smaller rockers or some other visual change to make it more appealing to those that don't like the look of Ellsworths. And hopefully the prices won't go up anymore!

The most intriguing thing for me will be to see Ellsworth does something that hasn't already been done by another company. It's hard to imagine what that would be. It seems like they'll just be playing catch up, especially in the DH-oriented areas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    So the change of ownership was hogwash?
    Who would buy a company with a shrinking following?

Ellsworth has been on a steady decline. They have been behind the times and dining out on past history for quite a while. Just look at this forum's use over the last few years, little to no new info or users.

The market is tough for small companies, innovate or die and I can't think of the last time Ellsworth was synonamis with innovation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    Who would buy a company with a shrinking following?

Ellsworth has been on a steady decline. They have been behind the times and dining out on past history for quite a while. Just look at this forum's use over the last few years, little to no new info or users.

The market is tough for small companies, innovate or die and I can't think of the last time Ellsworth was synonamis with innovation.
    An American carbon manufacturer apparently.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well they kick off with a new dare. 160,180 or 200mm options like the rogue used to be ( although that's not actually possible with standard size shocks, so guessing it a generalisation as usual!)
    What's more it's carbon and 27.5 of course. Really hoping they've got the geometry dialled this time !

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    63 degree head angle and 14 inch BB 225 mm travel . Sounds comparable but not ground breaking. Flip chip alters geo and adjusts ratio for shorter travel.
    Looks nice !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New bikes announced , to be released at  interbike-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    i'm shocked [people are still holding out for bikes from ellsworth. there are so many great alternatives out there that aren't still trapped in the 90s design wise

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    i'm shocked [people are still holding out for bikes from ellsworth. there are so many great alternatives out there that aren't still trapped in the 90s design wise
    I am shocked that your still holding out for the opportunity to slag off Ellsworth.

How many times can you roll out the same old tripe ? Ask yourself that question.

Yes there are alternatives . That's what makes new bikes interesting but not everyone wants to jump on every new band wagon because not everything hailed as the latest and greatest is actually better than things that came before !
    Personally I am just as excited to see a new Ells as a new ibis or trek or many other brands.

Evolution is often better than new design. Hence specialized , santa cruz , intense etc etc etc etc blah blah blah blah .

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Bringing out a 180'sh bike is interesting. Not many 180mm bikes out there these days but a lot of enduro riders are looking for just a little more. So maybe Ells are ahead of the game for once.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I rode the carbon Epiphany 275 and loved it. I thought the front end looked steep, but it felt great while riding. I wanted to ride the Aluminum Epiphany 275, but rode the carbon Evolve 29er instead. I love that bike as well, although I was not thrilled with the fork setup on that particular bike. There were plenty of people lining up for a ride on both days of the demo. I was told the new frames will have a lifetime warranty. The new carbon frames will be made in San Diego.

Those that are offended that the suspension looks different and has not been updated (although it has been refined) should maybe study the kinematics of four-bar linkages and figure out what "instant center" means. Ride a bike before you discount the design. Having said that, my two favorite bikes of the demo were the Epiphany 275 (which I expected to like) and the Niner Rip 9 RDO (which I expected to dislike). I need more test riding to pick between the two.
    Mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders are not the enemy. Bulldozers are the enemy.