Stem Thomson Elite 90x31, 8
    Handlebars Face Face Atlas Freeride cut to 70 cm
    Grips Nope Milky Way
    Avid Machmaker
    Headset Criss King
    Plugs handlebar Hope

Total weight 15.100 kg (33,3 lbs)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Salgomasudo; 09-18-2009 at 08:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    gorgeous looking bike.

questions. How do you make it 178mm rear travel? the 70mm stroke you list gives 203mm ie 8 inches travel on a rogue.. However the eye to eye is shorter than standard at 216mm (8.5inch). Are you sure it is not a 216 x 63mm (8.5 x 2.5inch) ? That would give 185mm travel. (not sure fox make a 216mm x 70mm.)

Have you measured the head angle? The shorter eye to eye should have slackened the geometry about a degree but the shorter fork steepened it again. Giving you 67degrees. Perfect for all mountain.

How high is the BB now?

Why the long stem?

Really great looking bike and very well specced. Should make a great machine for the big mountains.

TheGroup biker

Is a great machine for the big mountains

I make mistake with the shock size correct size is 216x63 for 178 rear travel (7' inch)
    I have not measured how high is BB, I do it and I tell you
    the head angle from 66.3 to 570mm fork become 67.43 with the 36 Talas 545mm fork

Perfect for all mountain

The long stem because is more confortable to ride in uphill [bike is SHORT size end I am high 1 meter and 83 (6 feet)]

VooDoo user.
    HOLY SEATPOST!!! Got like a foot of Drop!!

That bike is crying for a Totem. Or at least the new 170 lyrik.

Nice bike.

TheGroup biker
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    HOLY SEATPOST!!! Got like a foot of Drop!!

That bike is crying for a Totem. Or at least the new 170 lyrik.

Nice bike.
    i wait positive feedback from new totem 2 step

now 36 fox talas is only one air fork with travel adjustability without problems, indispensable for real all mountain

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ah cool. thanks for the angle info. Ihave a rogue frame sitting waiting to build .

Incidently Ells approximate their travel. If you divide 203 (8 inch) by the shock stroke 2.75in (70mm) and multiply that by your shock stroke 2.5in (63mm) you get 185mm . So assuming the 8 inch is 8 inch then you have a little more travel than you think. ( I suspect 8 inch is actually a little over 203mm too.giving you more like 187mm in reality)

One of the other posters measured his actual travel and made it 185mm so think it is pretty likely that it is that.

I think your angles will be spot on for your intended use. It is a great bike.

I am 185cm just over 6feet and mine is small too. I intend to use a shorter stem for better downhill handling and just compensate on the ups by leaning forward. I just like the handling characterisitics of shorter stems. I use a 75mm on my ID and a 50mm on my moment.
    Last edited by Nsynk; 09-18-2009 at 07:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The fox is a great fork. i have a talas on my moment and it is outstandingly good.

Planning a totem coil for my rogue. Building more of a park bike than an AM but for places like the Portes du soleil where there is alot of traversing on single tack between the man made downhills but lifts for most of the ups.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Salgomasudo
    The long stem because is more confortable to ride in uphill [bike is SHORT size end I am high 1 meter and 83 (6 feet)]

So why did you get a S (small/short) when you have to run a long stem and a long seatpost?

mtbr member

Bold!!!

I like it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    small/short is of course a bit misleading when the eff top tube is 23.5inch long. If you consider an sx trail in medium size has a top tube of 22.6 inch and in large 24.1 inch then a "small "rogue is halfway between medium and large in Specializeds view of sizing.

(but I am sure you knew that?)

I personally don't think a long stem suits the ride characterisitics of a long travel bike but hey so what? it is all about personal preferences and experimenting to find out what works for you. If a 90mm stem works for our friend then thats great for him.

TheGroup biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk
    small/short is of course a bit misleading when the eff top tube is 23.5inch long. If you consider an sx trail in medium size has a top tube of 22.6 inch and in large 24.1 inch then a "small "rogue is halfway between medium and large in Specializeds view of sizing.

(but I am sure you knew that?)

I personally don't think a long stem suits the ride characterisitics of a long travel bike but hey so what? it is all about personal preferences and experimenting to find out what works for you. If a 90mm stem works for our friend then thats great for him.

A short size Ellswort's is like an L of Santa Cruz or a 18 of Rocky mountain...

mtbr member
    May 2004

A short size Ellswort's is like an L of Santa Cruz or a 18 of Rocky mountain...
    They only make a S (23.5 ETT) and a L (24.5 ETT)?! Huh. Neither of those would fit me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    They only make a S (23.5 ETT) and a L (24.5 ETT)?! Huh. Neither of those would fit me.
    Really ? How tall are you?Or more specific how long is your reach?

what do you consider good fit?

Elitest thrill junkie
    That much seatpost will eventually snap the frame. Your seatpost may not fail, but your frame probably will. That bike is meant to be run with a very short stem, so with that relatively long stem you have made the effective top tube that much longer. Good luck, but there's no way that's the correct size.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

TheGroup biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    That much seatpost will eventually snap the frame. Your seatpost may not fail, but your frame probably will. That bike is meant to be run with a very short stem, so with that relatively long stem you have made the effective top tube that much longer. Good luck, but there's no way that's the correct size.

the seatpost is a Thomson 410x27,2
    have a good inserction in the frame than 3 cm above the limit marked in the seatpost
    for total 11 cm under seatclamp
    In this way the seatpost is inserted correctly into the frame without risk of breakage

mtbr member
    May 2004

have a good inserction in the frame than 3 cm above the limit marked in the seatpost
    In this way the seatpost is inserted correctly into the frame without risk of breakage
    You can wag your finger all you want, but SG at Ventana even said that my flexy/weak seatpost probably contributed to a cracked ST/TT weld. That seatpost flexing inside your ST will cause stress, like it or not.

Yes, Jayem is right: 8" bikes with 67*HA are intended to be run with shorter stems.

You are really doing your best to stretch that bike out. If that works for you, great, but don't say that the bike isn't meant to be built one way...just look at the other Rogues posted here, or on the Ells site. Because on the site, there is a Fox 40 with a 30mm-ish stem.

FWIW, I like a bike that has a 24ish TT. I run it with a 35mm for steep days and if it is really an XC adventure, 70mm. The 24.5 would be too large and the 23.5 would be too small..

Elitest thrill junkie

That's exactly why it will break, the leverage imparted on the frame with that much exposed seatpost is huge. I've broken a frame in this way.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    That's exactly why it will break, the leverage imparted on the frame with that much exposed seatpost is huge. I've broken a frame in this way.
    You know what, according to Ells's site, it won't get any better- both the S and L have the same ST measurement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The seattube angle on a rogue is steeper than average pushing you along the top tube. Which helps on the climbs. Putting a long stem on might actually put your weight too far forward and cause the back wheel to loose traction. If you want to elongate your eff top tube length it might be better to use a layback seatpost.

Minimum insertions are there for a reason, if your complying with both the frame min insertion and post min insertion there should not be a problem in normal use.

TheGroup biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk

How high is the BB now?
    35,7 cm

:-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    35,7 cm

:-)
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How much sag do all you rogue owners run?

was thinking 40% on a "8" inch 33% on a "7(.5)" inch

is that what others are running?

mtbr member
    Great Bike

FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
    I am 1.83 tall (that is 1 meter and 83 cm (6 feet).

There is no way you are riding that bike around with the seatpost that high up, either you legs are 2 thirds your body lenght or you are joking with us.

Good one ;-)
    Federation Against 29:ers
    In memory of nino - godfather of weight weeniesm, banned but not forgotten, sept 2010.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erkan
    I am 1.83 tall (that is 1 meter and 83 cm (6 feet).

There is no way you are riding that bike around with the seatpost that high up, either you legs are 2 thirds your body lenght or you are joking with us.

Good one ;-)

maybe he's actually a frog. that would explain the long legs and also the choice of colour

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast