TheGroup biker
    http://www.thegroupmtb.it/index.php?...icca&Itemid=61

My picture
    normal legs...
    normal body...

high seatpost

TheGroup biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk
    How much sag do all you rogue owners run?

was thinking 40% on a "8" inch 33% on a "7(.5)" inch

is that what others are running?

much or more 30% sag on a 7.5 inch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salgomasudo
    http://www.thegroupmtb.it/index.php?...icca&Itemid=61

My picture
    normal legs...
    normal body...

high seatpost
    then i'd be seriously worried about breaking that frame. with that much post exposed you are putting a lot of pressure on the seat tube top tube junction. how close are you to the minimum insertion line on that post?

remember if you have a big enough lever, you can move the world.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Very nice build!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    then i'd be seriously worried about breaking that frame. with that much post exposed you are putting a lot of pressure on the seat tube top tube junction. how close are you to the minimum insertion line on that post?

Yeah, I've given up trying to warn about that now. They think that if it's inserted according to the manufacturer recommendation that it will be ok, but that is ONLY if you're using a normal amount of exposed seatpost. If you are using more, then it's a bigger lever, more stress, likely breakage (like I had), despite having "enough" insertion depth. Learn the hard way.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Yeah, I've given up trying to warn about that now. They think that if it's inserted according to the manufacturer recommendation that it will be ok, but that is ONLY if you're using a normal amount of exposed seatpost. If you are using more, then it's a bigger lever, more stress, likely breakage (like I had), despite having "enough" insertion depth. Learn the hard way.

i think that is one of the main reasons jeff steber changed the intense ss to an interupted seat tube. he always was saying that guys trying to trail ride the ss with 400mm posts extended way up would eventually break the frame. the ss rode nice as a trailbike, but it had a relatively short seattube and it's the same with the rogue. you're just asking for trouble with that much exposed seat post.

TheGroup biker

have a good inserction in the frame than 3 cm above the limit marked in the seatpost
    for total 11 cm under seatclamp
    In this way the seatpost is inserted correctly into the frame without risk of breakage

i have the same insertion in my Gemini and i ride it over three years without problems

mtbr member
    have a good inserction in the frame than 3 cm above the limit marked in the seatpost
    for total 11 cm under seatclamp
    In this way the seatpost is inserted correctly into the frame without risk of breakage

i have the same insertion in my Gemini and i ride it over three years without problems
    the minimum insertion mark is there for post failure not frame failure. the mark is where thomson feels, after much testing by the way their post will withstand the forces it takes and still hold up. it has little bearing on frame design and leverage imparted on said frame by having a foot of post exposed. keep riding it, it's your bike but you have to wonder why more than one person has comented on the amount of exposed post. some of them have broken frames this way.

look at adjustable seatposts. there is only one with 9 inches of travel and i woudn't buy it for the reason i think it won't stand up and i've never had a frame with that much post exposed.. when most are in the 3" to 5" travel range there is a reason for that. a lot of properly sized frame won't have enough room for more than 5" of travel.

trying to use a bike for more than it's intended purpose is great, just don't cry when something fails

how much exposed seat post did you have on your other frame? regardless, look at all the other pictures of the rogue on this site or others. you won't see that much post exposed on any other rogue and there is a good reason for it.

good luck with it, but post some pictures when the frame fails and surprise surprise the failure won't be ellsworth's fault.

mtbr member
    the minimum insertion mark is there for post failure not frame failure. the mark is where thomson feels, after much testing by the way their post will withstand the forces it takes and still hold up. it has little bearing on frame design and leverage imparted on said frame by having a foot of post exposed. keep riding it, it's your bike but you have to wonder why more than one person has comented on the amount of exposed post. some of them have broken frames this way.

look at adjustable seatposts. there is only one with 9 inches of travel and i woudn't buy it for the reason i think it won't stand up and i've never had a frame with that much post exposed.. when most are in the 3" to 5" travel range there is a reason for that. a lot of properly sized frame won't have enough room for more than 5" of travel.

trying to use a bike for more than it's intended purpose is great, just don't cry when something fails

how much exposed seat post did you have on your other frame? regardless, look at all the other pictures of the rogue on this site or others. you won't see that much post exposed on any other rogue and there is a good reason for it.

good luck with it, but post some pictures when the frame fails and surprise surprise the failure won't be ellsworth's fault.
    Agreed. The force with the seatube at that height will be imense. Frame manufacturers give measurements for minimum insertion - not seat post makers.

Looking at that build I'd say it's very confused. You maybe should have gone for a Moment? It's not like your are going to be hucking it large with those components.

Not flaming, just adding an opinion. There are people here who are actually trying to politely advise you!

If it does damage the frame then Ellsworth won't warranty it - they aren't especially good at that at the best of times.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    It really does suck for us tall guys, it is nearly impossible to find a 20" seat tube on a freeride bike, which is what I need to get full leg extension even with a 400mm seatpost

TheGroup biker
    @Dibbs
    no flaming each has his opinions

There is no indication of the manufacturer but the seatpost comes under Listing of the top tube and seat tube, and then does not download the strength on the seat tube but also the horizontal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    It really does suck for us tall guys, it is nearly impossible to find a 20" seat tube on a freeride bike, which is what I need to get full leg extension even with a 400mm seatpost
    that might be true for a freeride rig, but the op built this up as an am rig. that much post exposed will be a problem. it's just a matter of ride time. no one here is flaming him, just trying to point out he will have problems with this set up. if he rides it a lot, failure is inevitable.

TheGroup biker
    The first year is spent.
    I traveled almost 3000 km and almost 100,000 mt of D+
    Everything still works perfectly and nothing is broken
    New version
    with
    TOTEM 2 step
    Dt ex 1750
    Attached Images Attached Images  

VooDoo user.
    The first year is spent.
    I traveled almost 3000 km and almost 100,000 mt of D+
    Everything still works perfectly and nothing is broken

with
    TOTEM 2 step
    Dt ex 1750

What's she weigh? Looks awesome.

TheGroup biker
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    What's she weigh? Looks awesome.

With new pedal
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/produ...roducts_id=276
    equipped with Ti axle

15,7 kg

mtbr member
    Salgomasudo

Mind giving a review of the DHX air on the Rogue. Have you tried a coil?

Thanks in advance.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

TheGroup biker
    Quote Originally Posted by toHELLuRIDE
    Salgomasudo

Mind giving a review of the DHX air on the Rogue. Have you tried a coil?

Thanks in advance.

The DHX air works well on the Rogue, this is a 216x63 length for a travel of 185 mm at the rear.
    I weigh 82 kg and keep it at a pressure of 190 psi.
    the ProPedal is not useful for the proper functioning of the ICT system.
    I tried the original shock with spring 220x70 for 203 mm of rear travel but only in bike park and not to ride because it is too heavy.

TheGroup biker
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    that might be true for a freeride rig, but the op built this up as an am rig. that much post exposed will be a problem. it's just a matter of ride time. no one here is flaming him, just trying to point out he will have problems with this set up. if he rides it a lot, failure is inevitable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbs_ View Post
    Agreed. The force with the seatube at that height will be imense. Frame manufacturers give measurements for minimum insertion - not seat post makers.

Looking at that build I'd say it's very confused. You maybe should have gone for a Moment? It's not like your are going to be hucking it large with those components.

Not flaming, just adding an opinion. There are people here who are actually trying to politely advise you!

If it does damage the frame then Ellsworth won't warranty it - they aren't especially good at that at the best of times.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post

Three years have passed.
    I have traveled over 250,000 mt of elevation gain and some more than a negative slope and over 8000 km.
    The frame has no damage, the seatpost was never broken.

Next time think before you write the first thing that comes into your keyboard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salgomasudo View Post
    Three years have passed.
    I have traveled over 250,000 mt of elevation gain and some more than a negative slope and over 8000 km.
    The frame has no damage, the seatpost was never broken.

Next time think before you write the first thing that comes into your keyboard.
    congratulations. that's a lot of miles on any ellsworth, let alone one set up like yours.

you are obviously smarter than anyone here

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I had also a Rogue as my main bike, but I disassembled it and put some parts into a Tracer VP. As I still have the frame I am thinking about building it up again. Before I disassembled it my fork was too short (marzocchi with 150mm). At least I think it was too short. Now I would probably put a Bos Idylle SC in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2