Hubs: Hope Pro II
    Skewers: Hope
    Tires: Kenda
    Attached Images Attached Images

VooDoo user.
    Very nice.

mtbr member

looking good

I love the grey/silver with the red parts. Very Cool.

~~~
    Very nice! I'm diggin my 06 in grey, too! Nice red accents.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks guys!

here's some pic of my previous ride. just transfered most of the parts to my moment.

the epiphany
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    btw, i need your help guys.

Ive always used rear air shocks ever since i started biking and i bought a brand new dhx coil for my moment for the plushness and to tackle all sorts of rocks and bumps. Im happy with the dhx coil but recently i noticed a lot of pedaling bob whenever i climb and sometimes even even when the propedal is at the max positive.

My spring rate is at 500 and i weigh 185 lbs without the gears on.

I assure you that my pedaling stroke is correct, therefore the bobbing is not due to pedaling.

Is there anyway i can stiffen the rear shock without changing the spring rate? im on a mission to lose pounds in the next couple of months so i dont want to waste money buying a stiffer coil only to replace it again after 2 months.

your inputs are most welcome. thanks

chris b

VooDoo user.
    Push Industries!!!

Time is not a road.
    Do you feel it as you ride or just notice the coil compressing? With the PP all the way on, the shock should be pretty darn stiff, so perhaps there's a problem with it. You may have a shop check the oil levels (or do it yourself if you're ok with working on it).

I think I used a 550 and I'm about your weight geared up. That stiffened the ride nicely. Steel springs are cheap so just buy another and keep the 500 in case you lose a lot of weight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Push Industries!!!
    do they "push" coils? anyway, i dont think that would be a practical solution for me right now coz i live here in the philippines

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Do you feel it as you ride or just notice the coil compressing? With the PP all the way on, the shock should be pretty darn stiff, so perhaps there's a problem with it. You may have a shop check the oil levels (or do it yourself if you're ok with working on it).

I think I used a 550 and I'm about your weight geared up. That stiffened the ride nicely. Steel springs are cheap so just buy another and keep the 500 in case you lose a lot of weight.
    yeah i really feel it whenever i ride and my friends notice the bobbing as well when they ride beside me. i feel a lot of pedaling power is wasted.

if i compress the shock about two clicks or so, would this stiffen the ride? what can be the possible consequences if i do this?

MTB Monkey
    How much pressure is in the boost chamber? Higher pressure will increase the effect of the Propedal.

And a 550 or a little preload on the coil is a good suggestion. Don't go more than a couple revolutions total on the preload.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb33
    yeah i really feel it whenever i ride and my friends notice the bobbing as well when they ride beside me. i feel a lot of pedaling power is wasted.

if i compress the shock about two clicks or so, would this stiffen the ride? what can be the possible consequences if i do this?
    You don't want to over-preload the coil. You could compress the coils against themselves on hard hits/full travel bumps. You should only load it up to two turns. Besides, it's still a 500lb coil, so that won't work anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey Chris,

I trialed a DHXC after having ridden on the DHXA for a while. I really liked the performance of the coil and will probably buy one when the bank manager agrees.

I am 85kg with gear and found that a 550lb spring with about one turn of pre-load gave about 30% sag - felt perfect.

I also initially felt a lot of bobbing in the rear but this was cured by tuning the rebound setting properly - it was too fast and bobbing on the rebound stroke - the compression stroke felt controlled. After that it felt perfect.

IME the Moment does not need any propedal whatsoever. My current set-up which for me works really well is -

28 -29 %sag
    Minimum pro-pedal
    Minimum Boost pressure - 125psi - As I understand it this applies high speed compression and amplifies the pro-pedal setting.

The main principal I have followed in my set-up is: Let the suspesion do its thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefe74
    How much pressure is in the boost chamber? Higher pressure will increase the effect of the Propedal.
    Is this true? An LBS guy told me that so long as you're running the recommended pressure in the boost chamber (above 75 psi and below 200(?)) and not bottoming out it doesn't matter what the pressure is set too. Did the guy not know what he was talking about?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Far be it form me to make such a declaration about a bike industry professional, however, that information is in conflict with all advice I have received, personal experience and also, I think, the FOX manual.

~~~
    This is from the Fox manual. I think it's more like the ProPedal affects the characteristics of the boost valve.

BOOST VALVE
    The Boost Valve creates a position-sensitive damping scheme that allows for a seamless transition from efficient ProPedal to square-edge bump absorption to a bottomless end-of-stroke feel. The Boost Valve also decouples the ProPedal and bottom out adjustments, enabling ProPedal platform adjustment to be made separately from the bottom out adjustment.

The Boost Valve is not adjusted directly. Instead, its behavior and performance characteristics are influenced by the air pressure setting in the reservoir and by adjusting the ProPedal knob.

To change the compression damping characteristics of your DHX shock, attach a FOX High Pressure Pump (see USING THE FOX HIGH PRESSURE PUMP on page 5) to the air valve on the reservoir:

For a firmer ride, add 10 – 15 pounds of air pressure.

For a softer ride, decrease the shock’s air pressure 10 – 15 pounds by using the pump’s bleed valve.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I had my boost valve pressure checked yesterday before hitting the trails and the pressure read at 70psi. I increased the pressure to 110psi and still i felt bobbing so i had the spring compressed a full turn.

The ride vastly improved but i think i can further improve it by upping the pressure to 120psi or so.

Thanks guys for all your help. A friend of mine - jaydg also was kind enough to offer lending his 600 spring rate coil next time we meet for me to try it out. Thanks leo!

chris b

Time is not a road.
    The boost chamber is only designed to affected bottom out and progressiveness of the shock. It should have no effect on initial compression. Only spring rate and PP will affect those. You're not going to achieve what you really want until you change the spring rate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The boost chamber is only designed to affected bottom out and progressiveness of the shock. It should have no effect on initial compression. Only spring rate and PP will affect those. You're not going to achieve what you really want until you change the spring rate.
    Exactly. Depends what kind of riding you do too. If you're jumping off stuff then that is what that feature of the shock is really about.
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Actually, that's not correct. The air pressure in the reservoir also sets the ProPedal platform. If you look at this animation for the DHX Air the relationship between reservoir air pressure, bottom out volume adjuster, and Propedal knob should become very apparent:

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...x_air_tech.htm

This is for a DHX air but the same ideas apply to the DHX Coil.

In essence, the reservoir air pressure sets the force needed to start displacing the shock shaft. In addition to the pressure difference on the two sides of the boost valve, this minimum force can be fine tuned with the ProPedal knob. the knob changes the preload on a spring holding the boost valve shut.

Of course, you are correct that the air pressure as well the boost chamber volume will also affect the progressiveness of the shock, that's why finding the sweet spot requires playing with all three settings iteratively.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I saw the first picture of the bike and i immediately knew it was your bike Chris!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by whambam
    I saw the first picture of the bike and i immediately knew it was your bike Chris!
    ey whambam...thanks but what's your real name?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Theres only two people who call you '****er'. One is G.I. Joe and the other is me

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by whambam
    Theres only two people who call you '****er'. One is G.I. Joe and the other is me
    ahahahahaha marty!!!!!!