Thread: My Epi

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

My Epi

So I finally made up my mind and went with a Epi. BTW thanks for all the info... it helped.

Build:
    Small Epi w/ float R
    Float RLC
    XTR
    Formula Oro Puro 180/160
    Chris King headset
    Chris King hubs w/ZTR Olympic
    Continental Vertical Pro UST
    TruVativ Carbon handlebar + seatpost
    TruVativ Al stem
    Cranks Bros Candy C
    Fizik Plateu saddle
    WTB Grips

Only got to hit the trails one time...but so far no problems...love the feel and how well it tracks... I will keep you posted once I have some real ride time...let me give a quick shout to Rbikes.com - lots of help, down to earth, killer deals. Ask for Adam or Mike actually anyone there can help.
    DSC00428.JPG

DSC00425.JPG

JDOM for life
    hey cloffordhidalgo. nice build! let me know how you think of your formula oros. i run juicy carbons on my epi and i'm thinking of changing it. i have no complaints about the carbons but i just want to test other brands.

VooDoo user.
    Just curious how tall you are and what kind of inseam you have. Want to get one of these for the wife who is 5.5 w/ 30" inseam. Can't decide between the small or med.

Nice build by the way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You're going to love it!! I just acquired one myself, climbs like a mountain goat!!! I see you have an XTR F/D, was wondering if have any issues with your chain rubbing on the derailer cage when you are in granny gear? I have an XT front and I cannot get it adjusted out of the rubbing problem, I'm getting the feeling that XT is not compatible with Epi's?? You may or may not have ridden it enough to notice but I figured I would throw out the ???.. Enjoy !!!! Thanks..

Hooray Beer!
    congrats. great bike and build. Mine is green as well...it's the fastest color u know

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Just curious how tall you are and what kind of inseam you have. Want to get one of these for the wife who is 5.5 w/ 30" inseam. Can't decide between the small or med.

Nice build by the way.
    Dude, she's all legs...the small would fit the bill because the TTs are notoriously long on Ellsworth's bikes. The Med would be too long, I think, but that's kinda how I ride - a little more upright.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Cliff,
    The bike looks great man. Have fun, you're going to love it!!!
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Bakalboy- this is my first hydro disc so i dont have anything to compare it to... i have been using avid mechs... but so far they seem great...but what do i know

Timberrr- i'm 5'5" think my inseam is 28-29. feels great... i tested a large and that actually felt really good also (thats all they had built at the time) I didnt get to try a med. but i tend to like a small reach i have a 90mm stem i think i might go to a 100mm stem though but i still got to do some more riding

co_biker - havnt had any probs with rubbing maybe when i'm at extremes with the shifts (low chainring and smallest rr ring) but maybe i havent riden it enough yet to notice

well i plan to ride tomorrow morn and wed and fri so mybe i can give better feedback...
    thanks for the replys
    ride hard
    cliff

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That looks sick cliffordhidalgo, I just ordered a large Epi with an RP23 and Talas RLC. Not quite sure on my other parts yet, but I think I'll go with the Puro brakes. By the way, did you mention that you ride in the smallest ring and smallest cog simultaneously? Stop that, or you're gonna trash your gorgeous drivetrain!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Canada Menti- sorry, what i meant to say was that there would be rubbing if i were in small cog and small ring...Definitely dont want to do that though, but thanks for the heads up anyway...btw rode this morning and still no probs with the bike...got wet and muddy and the Puros handled great...still good power and stopped squealing fast. So far really happy with the Puros...on XTR- crisp and fast...seemed reliable in muddy conditions. other than that the bike feels soooo light and manuverable. Very happy with choice...
    ride hard
    cliff

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    cliffordhidalgo,
    can you compare the Epi to other bikes you've owned/ridden ?
    (As far as handling, climbing, etc) Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    well, in comparison...unfortunately i was unable to try the mojo(i didn't have a dealer near me that had one built). but the other full suspension bikes that i tried were the marin rock springs and the giant v2. but in comparison... when i tried the epi... i was just very satisfied about the feel. I have heard many great things about the dw link (even when i was test riding the epi) but since i was very satisfied with the feel already and i didn't get to try the mojo, I felt confident enough that i would be happy with the epi...will i wonder about the mojo? probably... will i regret getting the epi..not at all. only advice to u is(what everyone gave me) test ride both.

IMO...i did not feel like i was wasting any(or much i should say) energy with the ICT...agility, balence, acceleration, climbing, basically everything felt better on this bike...But then again, i came from a Marin Rock Spring. It was just a different bike.and about 5-6 pounds more.
    hope this helped..
    cliff