mtbr member
    Aug 2011

My 2005 Ellsworth Joker

Got this bike in May 2011, been loving it ever since. Always wanted a full suspension bike with disc-brakes, and I've always held Ellsworth's up there with the best of em, so I finally bought one!

Here's the spec sheet from the ebay post I bought it from

-Titec 7075 Hell Bent XC Handle Bar -A little Scratched.
    -Bontrager Seat Post. Scratched.
    -ODI Screw Mount Grips. Worn and cracked on one.
    -Pike Rock Shox U-Turn 140mm Fork- Scratched But not on the important parts.
    -Short Stem. Scratched.
    -Cane Creek S2 Head Set-Good.
    -Manitou QR Rear Shock-Minor scratches but not on the important parts.
    -Chrome Red Hope Seat Clamp-Good.
    -Clear FSA Bash Guard-Few Scratches.
    -Prodigy XC RaceFace forged Cranks-Scratched and a bit hard to put pedals onto.
    -Shimano Deore XT Derailleur-Scratched and maybe a little bent.
    -Sram Gears-A bit worn not too bad.
    -Rear Wheel Mavic 819 Disc Tubeless- Not completely true, and has some repairs from some dent damage.
    -Rear Tire Specialized Pro Resolution 26x2.10-Worn down, some tread left
    -Shimano Deore Mega 9 Shifters-Scratched.
    -Avid Speed Dial 7 Lever Brakes-Scratched.
    -160mm Avid Discs-True
    -Front WTB Speed Master 23 11.3 Wheel-Not completely true, no dent damage.
    -Front Kenda Nevegal 26x2.85 tire-Cracked from age, still quite a bit of tread and still a bit tacky.
    -Front Onyx DT Swiss Hub-Good
    -Rear Shimano Deore XT Hub-Good

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nice ride! I've always wanted a Joker too. I ride an old 2005 Bullit for the bike parks. Single pivots rule!

Anyone know what was the last year of production for the Joker?

@trailgrinder
    I have always liked the Ellsworth bikes and remember when this bike came out, congrats on the purchase and go and rip it up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm still riding my old 2004 Joker, and still loving it. I just put on a 170mm Lyrik up front, and now the bike has almost even travel on both wheels (the rear wheel is still 1" more), and now the Joker looks like it is ready to ride up to it's full potential. It's just that I'm not. Instead, I use it as a surprisingly nimble trail bike, all that suspension does not compromise it's climbing one bit. With Spinergy Xyclone Disc wheelset, it weighs in at a bit over 28 lb.s, and in a L. frame, to boot.

Used as it is, I bet it's gonna last quite a few more years. I think it's a shame that Ellsworth discontinued manufacture of single pivot frames....Tony had the single pivot dialed in perfectly.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Awesome man!

I love mine more and more, the more often I ride it. It climbs extremely well, and soaks up some serious bumps on the downhill. It truly lives up to it's All Mountain name.

I recently stepped up to some 2.35 tires for that extra stability going downhill and traction going uphill, as well as some new riser bars and XT Discs with Ice-Tech rotors. Stops on a dime! She's a mean looking ride, if nothing else

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 2005 Ellsworth Joker-img_20130110_202430.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Looks very nice, 82crawler. These bikes have so much clearance that I was tempted to 'convert' my Joker to 650b wheels. The biggest, best upgrade I've ever done for my Joker is to put a set of Spinergy wheels on it, it really livens the bike up. Plus, the things never need truing. Now, all 3 of my bikes roll on Spinergy's.

So, soon as I found out Spinergy is now making 650b wheels, I thought, "that's the way to go". But now I'm having 2nd thoughts. This bike rides so PERFECT as it is that I don't think I wanna mess with it anymore...
    So, it feels like Evolution time!

EDIT: BTW. I tried to post a detailed review 'update' on the review part of this site, only to have it instantly deleted and a popup message telling me you can only review a product once. After all of the negative vibes Tony has attracted, and I don't know any of those details, I just felt it appropo to mention the outstanding service I got in warranty when I cracked my first Joker frame.

They went the extra mile to make me happy, and I'll never forget that.
    Last edited by Old Ray; 06-12-2013 at 11:08 PM.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a 2001 Joker. I love the bike. I am having a hard time now, dur to medical reasons I haven't been able to ride fo the last 5 years. I weighed 120lbs when I bought the bike, and while with the syandard spring on the rear I was able to tune it for my light weight I had to get the soft springs for my Marazochi Z1 MCR, dur to my health I have put on alot of weight, and I cannot find new springs for my fork, and it is too soft.
    The bike still rides awesome, have been riding a single pivot since I got my Pro-flex Animal in 96, I haven't gotten on a multi pivot that has made me want to change.

These are awesome.