mtbr member
    Aug 2004

My '02 ID Broke again

For the second time this summer a piece of my rear triangle is off to Hopefully get warrantied. Earlier this summer the seatstay developed a crack at the weld of the disc brake mount.This piece was warrantied and replaced rather quickly.. A month later I have a crack on the right side of the chainstay. This is still pending on it's warranty status.. I should hear back this week. I am 6 ft 210lbs and live in the northeast where we ride a lot of technical, agressive x-country..which I thought was the bikes' purpose. I never huck the bike. I am dissapointed with the luck I have had with this bike I will keep you posted as to it's warranty status.

Outcast
    Good luck with your warrenty issue. A lot of people will be watching to see if Tony E. and company come through for you.
    Just my two cents; get your warrentied part and sell your bike. Obviously, it's not up to the task of being your bike; there are many options available to you that can replace an Id, and I'm not talking about another ellsworth.
    Yes, I'm an ex-ellsworth owner who's broken their bikes and had warrenty issues.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Bummer

Having 2 separate failures on any manufactures high-end frame would certainly be a disappointment for anybody. Best thing to do is call Ells immediately: 760-788-7500, get an RA# issued, then get the part to us ASAP.

If you are indeed the original registered owner, and there is no evidence of crash related damage, you will get a speedy turnaround with a free 2004 version part. The good news is Ellsworth Bicycles has had no failures reported with the 2004 version ICT Chainstay. These chainstays have been out in circulation on the Ids, and 2004 TRUTH frames for over 16 months now. The newer style Id (2003-2004) square disk only gusseted seatstay is also bomber. Having your expensive bike break never makes anyone feel good. The trails in the Northeast rule and with the Ids high BB and geometry it is one of my favorites for these technical tight woodsy conditions.
    Hopefully your RA will be handled in a prompt, professional manner. Please try to get the part to Ellsworth Bicycles prior to the Interbike week shut down.
    Sorry about the hassle,
    Nooner
    Last edited by Ellsworth Bicycles; 09-20-2004 at 02:11 PM.

Are you talking to me?

That response sounds familiar...

Maybe it is just me, but that bit about there being NO breakage on that part sounds too good to be true. I hope everything gets worked out.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellsworth Bicycles
    Having 2 separate failures on any manufactures high-end frame would certainly be a disappointment for anybody. Best thing to do is call Ells immediately: 760-788-7500, get an RA# issued, then get the part to us ASAP.

If you are indeed the original registered owner, and there is no evidence of crash related damage, you will get a speedy turnaround with a free 2004 version part. The good news is Ellsworth Bicycles has had no failures reported with the 2004 version ICT Chainstay. These chainstays have been out in circulation on the Ids, and 2004 TRUTH frames for over 16 months now. The newer style Id (2003-2004) square disk only gusseted seatstay is also bomber. Having your expensive bike break never makes anyone feel good. The trails in the Northeast rule and with the Ids high BB and geometry it is one of my favorites for these technical tight woodsy conditions.
    Hopefully your RA will be handled in a prompt, professional manner. Please try to get the part to Ellsworth Bicycles prior to the Interbike week shut down.
    Sorry about the hassle,
    Nooner
    Nooner, I think that I met you up at Dalton,MA (24 Hours of Adrenaline) this year. I had the orange Id and we talked about Sram drivetrain and such...anyway, The first broken part was warrantied with no problems. I hope the second one will be as well. I am just bummed to have the thing bust on me twice this season. My bike shop got the RA# and the part is en route. I'll keep you guys posted.

Where's the chair lift?

Good job! Keep The Faith In Ells, Bud!!

The Id is a sweet trail bike!! I have seen the newer rear ends BOXED stays. Disc Only! Look nice!

I ride a 2002 Id as well and have not had any issues with the frame. Still has the orig. rear end and is still holding up. Im 5'11 225lb. I ride XC trails to aggressive all out trail riding. But, then i like DH / Freeride as well and use my 04 Dare for that.(ie. Whistler) Anyway, I just wanted to say, have faith in the crew at Ells. They have been awesome for me and some others I know with their bikes. The Ells crew is into making things happen for their customers / riders. Just be patient and understanding with them and they will do their best to understand you and help out! I can understand that it can be a bit frustrating when something goes wrong with a part or a frame. I have been there as well. The Ells crew rocked on!! They were very, very quick to help me out while i was at Whistler BC. Mountain Bike Park on a trip. I cant say enough about the guys there at Ells for all the help! Nooner and Company! Keep Up the Awesome Job!!

As for the broken ID rider, the guys at Ells will get you rolling soon!! Like the post from Ells above. Get your info to them before the Shut Down at Ells for Interbike 04 in a week and a half. Interbike Oct.4-8 Las Vegas.

PS.Just from my personal dealing with Ells and Crew!! Not looking for a Flaming thread to start here, just wanted to give some credit where credit is due for the newer crew that has been at Ells making things happen over the last year and a half or so. Nooner and Co.. Keep up the good work!

Ellsman1 "Can Do"
    04 Dare / 888R
    02 Id / Z1 FR
    Last edited by IntenseRdr; 09-20-2004 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Forgot something!

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Maybe it is just me, but that bit about there being NO breakage on that part sounds too good to be true. I hope everything gets worked out.
    Remember, the Iraqi information minister escaped prosecution and now works for Ellsworth. I have the picture to prove it, as you know...

One of my favorite "we've never seen that before"s was on the MBA Id bike, it broke, Ellsw gave their little spiel, and then next month some guy wrote in the tech section that he had the same problem, and ellsworth did know about it...

Anyhow, it all makes for very good marketing, like no weight limits, 10 year warrenties, and "we've never seen any breakages before"....
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

sock puppet

04 Truth here 210# rider

Quote Originally Posted by Ellsworth Bicycles

Sorry about the hassle,
    Nooner
    the bike has been riden in 4 big races (24 hours) this year, including the Whistler Adrenaline race on the tough, tough course...

it has been everything i was told by the Ellsworth staff. I wanted to go with the ID due to my weight, but was assured that 04 Truth would be quite sufficient... I got it with 5th Element from Ellsworth and this combo simply rocks...

quite happy with my Truth experience this season...

i am sure that this warranty claim will be taken care of the fair way...

sock puppet

rewind, replay, rewind, replay...

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Remember, the Iraqi information minister escaped prosecution and now works for Ellsworth. I have the picture to prove it, as you know...

One of my favorite "we've never seen that before"s was on the MBA Id bike, it broke, Ellsw gave their little spiel, and then next month some guy wrote in the tech section that he had the same problem, and ellsworth did know about it...

Anyhow, it all makes for very good marketing, like no weight limits, 10 year warrenties, and "we've never seen any breakages before"....
    Jm, dont you have anything new to say?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    Jm, dont you have anything new to say?
    Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

sock puppet

only after you Mr. @hole

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    long time no talk Pete. What's up?

you stopped ignoring my posts? how nice from you... I am honoured.

banned
    you stopped ignoring my posts? how nice from you... I am honoured.
    Whenever I need a laugh, need to read some tasty hypocrisy, or some posts that are off the irony scale, I'll click on one of your insipid posts.

You never disappoint.

Keep up the good work!

sock puppet

ah, you are being super nice...

Whenever I need a laugh, need to read some tasty hypocrisy, or some posts that are off the irony scale, I'll click on one of your insipid posts.

You never disappoint.

Keep up the good work!
    i need to practice a lot harder to achieve high benchmarks that you have set in all categories you mentioned...

i know i'll never get there.. you are just that good, if you know what i mean...

Where's the chair lift?

... and if we just ... Saw that Pic! LOL Funny!

Hey, Jm

My friends and I got a good laugh form that pic! LOL

Anyway, Hope, all the warranty claims get taken care of in a speedy manner! Best of luck all! I know Ells went over and beyond to get me taken care of when I needed help with a little issue i encountered while up at Whistler!

Happy Trails All,
    Ellsman1

rr
    I don't do PC
    That was good stuff, my vote for funniest thread.

banned
    i need to practice a lot harder to achieve high benchmarks that you have set in all categories you mentioned...
    Ah, the ole "I know you are but what am I" retort.

SO clever!

As noted above, you never disappoint osocolon.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Sorry but I am not surprised

Quote Originally Posted by ism409
    I am dissapointed with the luck I have had with this bike I will keep you posted as to it's warranty status.
    I had the exact same experience, as I broke my Id twice in six months. I suggest you have the repair done and then sell it without building it up again.

I've bought my last Ellsworth. They ride great, but after breaking three of them, my patience ended.

Outcast
    I'm sure there are many people here who would be happy to provide you a list of "replacement frames" to choose from.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The 2004 rear ends seem to have sorted the problem, over here in the UK we've had a few breakages of the older rear ends and all of them were replaced with the newer ends and for the last year i haven't seen or heard of a single failure. As for all the calls of 'sell it', well lets just leave that up to the guy himself, christ its like this on every thread these days, in my time i've broken a frame or two and know that i'll try anything to get it warrantied, yet in reality i know that i've voided the warranty at some point and even the last breakage was down to DH on an XC bike, although i wouldn't even dare do this type of stuff with the truth i have now!!!

Anyway back to the real point of this thread, i hope you get the new rear end and get back on the trails soon, its a nightmare having a bike sitting doing nothing so heres hoping your up and cycling again soon/

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by memine
    I had the exact same experience, as I broke my Id twice in six months. I suggest you have the repair done and then sell it without building it up again.

I've bought my last Ellsworth. They ride great, but after breaking three of them, my patience ended.

Agreed, if they continue to make the ID I'm sure they will take care of any future problems, but if they don't keep the ID....well, you know what can happen

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannigan
    The 2004 rear ends seem to have sorted the problem, over here in the UK we've had a few breakages of the older rear ends and all of them were replaced with the newer ends and for the last year i haven't seen or heard of a single failure. As for all the calls of 'sell it', well lets just leave that up to the guy himself, christ its like this on every thread these days, in my time i've broken a frame or two and know that i'll try anything to get it warrantied, yet in reality i know that i've voided the warranty at some point and even the last breakage was down to DH on an XC bike, although i wouldn't even dare do this type of stuff with the truth i have now!!!

Anyway back to the real point of this thread, i hope you get the new rear end and get back on the trails soon, its a nightmare having a bike sitting doing nothing so heres hoping your up and cycling again soon/
    If I had broken the same frame member more than once on ANY BIKE, not just an ellsworth, I would get it warrantied and sell it. The universe is trying to send a message there, brand loyalty is deafening the ears.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    If I had broken the same frame member more than once on ANY BIKE, not just an ellsworth, I would get it warrantied and sell it. The universe is trying to send a message there, brand loyalty is deafening the ears.

I am not being loyal to ellsworth, i am saying that the new rear end seems to do the job well, i've not heard of a single failure yet, i will say that the older rear ends should have all been replaced as they are not up to aggressive XC, the way ellsworth is dealing with the replacements of these is just not on, they should bite the bullet and send out a new rear end to each and every owner of the older ends and get them fitted at the local bikeshop.

But to say that he should ditch the bike because of this is just silly, if he gets the new rear end then it should do the job for him, lets leave it to the guy who owns the bike to make a decision without putting ideas in his head.

p.s, my brand loyalty last about as long as a decent frame comes along, i'm thinking of getting a heavy hitter for other duties, but i don't really like the moment so i'm looking at a turner 6 pack or the new version of the la bruja from ventana thats meant to be getting released.

Outcast
    I am not being loyal to ellsworth, i am saying that the new rear end seems to do the job well, i've not heard of a single failure yet, i will say that the older rear ends should have all been replaced as they are not up to aggressive XC, the way ellsworth is dealing with the replacements of these is just not on, they should bite the bullet and send out a new rear end to each and every owner of the older ends and get them fitted at the local bikeshop.

But to say that he should ditch the bike because of this is just silly, if he gets the new rear end then it should do the job for him, lets leave it to the guy who owns the bike to make a decision without putting ideas in his head.

p.s, my brand loyalty last about as long as a decent frame comes along, i'm thinking of getting a heavy hitter for other duties, but i don't really like the moment so i'm looking at a turner 6 pack or the new version of the la bruja from ventana thats meant to be getting released.
    Yes, ellsworth should do the right thing and send every Id owner with the older rear ends the newer components, period, and eliminate many future warranty issues as well as help with their damaged reputation. They should have done this with their early jokers, like the 2000 model I use to own, but they passed up on that chance, even when I asked them to do it for my piece of mind. [ That they went further ahead and stated that if I did break the rear triangle a few years into owning the frame, that it was that I was an abusive rider, not a design flaw, all without knowing me or how I rode that bike! But that's a different story.]
    My suggestion for him to sell the bike is me voicing my opinion, based on my experience with ellsworth, and of course he can do whatever he wants to do.
    I have twice bought a second frame from a manufacturer, I have had two ellsworths, I liked the way they rode, but I think they are two fragile [my other ellsworth was an '01 Dare, which had it's warranty issues, a design flaw] and I do not agree with the warranty philosophies of the company.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

How come you aint intrested in the Moment?just curious.

rr
    I don't do PC

Why is it silly? and whats wrong with giving him advice based off our own experience? There are 3 previous Ells. owners on this thread telling him our similiar experience and giving him very good advice IMO, isn't that what this forum is about.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by ism409
    For the second time this summer a piece of my rear triangle is off to Hopefully get warrantied. Earlier this summer the seatstay developed a crack at the weld of the disc brake mount.This piece was warrantied and replaced rather quickly.. A month later I have a crack on the right side of the chainstay. This is still pending on it's warranty status.. I should hear back this week. I am 6 ft 210lbs and live in the northeast where we ride a lot of technical, agressive x-country..which I thought was the bikes' purpose. I never huck the bike. I am dissapointed with the luck I have had with this bike I will keep you posted as to it's warranty status.
    Just an observation here, but why didn't EW replace the rear triangle with a better beefier 2004 edition the FIRST time it broke. It looks as though they just replaced it with, what, an old 2002 version or left over 2003 version, just to have it break again?

There's a reason that I ride a 5 spot.
    MCM# 2007.1

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Agreed, if they continue to make the ID I'm sure they will take care of any future problems, but if they don't keep the ID....well, you know what can happen

Yes yes, but they stopped making the Id years ago. They introduced a new bike to take it's place. Cooincidentally, it's also called the "Id".
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Trail rider and racer
    No body could have put it better.

Keep up the fine work Pete.
    Trev!