Thread: Moment vs. RFX

mtbr member

Moment vs. RFX

Which Which one is betta. I have rode both and Would like to know why the Moment would be the betta choice. Lets hear it moment owners. Pictures are nice toooooo.

KOKOPELLI RACING
    i've never ridden an rfx but i own a Moment and an "OG" Dare.

frankly, go with the one that you like best. who cares what anyone else says?

as for pictures, check the moment set up thread - there are some sweet pix there!

good luck!
    kokopelli racing

not so super...
    owned both and the RFX won for the better ride, better warranty, better customer care.
    Nothing to see here.

bi_ke
    I love my Moment, and wouldn't trade it for anything. But I'm sure you'd be happy with the Turner too. Flip a coin.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    owned both and the Moment won for the better ride, better warranty, better customer care.
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

VooDoo user.
    Can't go wrong either way. I have rode an '05 moment and a '07 rfx. Both have their pros and cons. Both are great rides.

I can get a great deal on Ellsworths so my next frame is another Moment. If roles were switched I'd buy a RFX.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

2 out of 3 ain't bad

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    owned both and the RFX won for the better ride, better warranty, better customer care.
    I would agree on the customer service but warranty and ride are very debatable. I love Turner bikes but Ellsworth makes a nice riding bike. My major difference besides customer care is the bushings vrs. bearings difference. The bushings last forever....

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just pulled the trigger on the moment, I cannot tell you which is better but I can tell you however that after a lot of debating I went with the moment cause I could get at better deal on it and I figured that any bike at this level would do me just fine.

I think a lot of high end bikes would do most of us just fine. ride them both and just do it.

locked - time out
    Aug 2007
    Jaybo
    mtbr member

which is it good bikes or worse than taiwan crap?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by multiaxial
    Greetings. This may be a loaded question for this forum, but I would like some opinions (bring on the technical details!). I currently own a Trek Fuel 98 circa 2003. I am planning to purchase a new bike in the coming year and am considering a Yeti ASR, Turner Flux, Titus Racer-X/Moto-Lite, and Ventana El Saltamontes. I like my bike just fine, but it doesn't speak to me or really capture my imagination if you know what I mean. I'd like a bike from a smaller producer and I'd love something that is still made here in the US, though I know those are increasingly difficult to find (even amongst those listed above). I'd like a 4" travel bike for some racing, mostly 40+ mile endurance-type races, and a lot of trail riding here in the Midwest (though I race sometimes, I'm not a racer). I'm used to XC race geometry so I'd like to stick to something in that ballpark---it's not as though we have a lot of monster downhills, drops, etc in the flatlands. More than 4" travel would be a waste here. I weigh 180lbs with gear but tend not to beat up my equipment.

My specific concerns are climbing efficiency, comfort on long rides, and overall mojo of the ride in tight singletrack. Full disclosure: I'm a bit of a weight weenie for no good reason.

Thanks.

I'm not convinced that Turner makes the best performing bikes on the planet; however, I am convinced Turner makes the most durable bikes out there! My bike is on year five without a pivot change. I know a guy who changed the pivots on his Blur three times in one year. Ouch! Ventana makes the prettiest bikes out there. Touch choice. Ride as many bikes as possible before making choice. The American Taiwan debate is kind of foolish. I have been to the Ellsworth factory in Washington; I would rather have a Pacific Rim builder, believe me!

Jaybo

locked - time out
    Aug 2007
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaybo
    The American Taiwan debate is kind of foolish. I have been to the Ellsworth factory in Washington; I would rather have a Pacific Rim builder, believe me!

mtbr member
    Is there a difference in the rear travel of both bikes?

MTB SOCAL
    I have an 06 Moment and love it. The ICT rear suspension is very efficient and really eats bumps amazingly well. I liked the ICT suspension so much that I sold my Titus Moto-Lite and Foes Fly (for a Ellsworth Epiphany and Rogue). If I were in the market for a 6" bike, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Moment. Having said that, I think that Turner makes some nice bikes as well. My buddy has an older pre-TNT RFX with a coil shock. It rides very well, is very supple, but seems to bob more with seated climbing than my Moment. It feels like other FSR type bikes (similar to my old Titus Quasimoto). I don't know about the TNT Turners. Are they technically faux-bar suspensions? If so, they may behave more like a single-pivot suspension (one of the suspension gurus on mtbr can probably enlighten us). You can probably get more info on how the TNT RFX rides from the Turner forum. Either way, I think you can't go wrong. You may also want to look at the Titus El Guapo or Intense 6.6.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by plmrman
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaybo
    The American Taiwan debate is kind of foolish. I have been to the Ellsworth factory in Washington; I would rather have a Pacific Rim builder, believe me!

Yep I saw that statement, kinda pathetic really - but no unexpected.
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Zip
    Joe Dirt Status
    Flip a coin or buy which ever one you can get cheaper. I've ridden both and they both rock.
    "So long as I can have the sex, and the drugs...I don't really need the rock and roll" -Spinal Tap

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakster
    Yep I saw that statement, kinda pathetic really - but no unexpected.
    It is a funny statment. In the USA any RETARD can weld up a bike and start a buisness, but overseas they actually have "standards" and "quality controls". Funny indeed!!!

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT-Spot
    Is there a difference in the rear travel of both bikes?
    Turner does give you 6.4" of rear travel while the Moment gives up 6".

Also yes turner is basically a FAUX BAR design. That said, Turner does it extremely well.

locked - time out
    Aug 2007
    i have a moment and have been very happy with it. i also have a 5 spot and like it as well. the rfx and the moment are both great bikes. demo them both and pick the one "you" like best. all anyone on here can do is give you "their" opinion. pick the bike you like best and go for it. that way you can't pick the wrong bike.

mtbr member

Travel Matters

Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Turner does give you 6.4" of rear travel while the Moment gives up 6".

Also yes turner is basically a FAUX BAR design. That said, Turner does it extremely well.
    Will this be a big factor on the decision on choosing on the 2 frames?
    Doest that 6.4 VS. 6" Travel mean a lot or really matter? (SURVEY)

Thanks!

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT-Spot
    Will this be a big factor on the decision on choosing on the 2 frames?
    Doest that 6.4 VS. 6" Travel mean a lot or really matter? (SURVEY)

Thanks!

It's like a 1/3 of an inch. To me it does not matter. Other may argue that it makes or breaks the bike.

Team Sanchez
    I think it really depends of the type of riding you are doing. From what I've seen and witnessed, the RFX will take quite a bit more abuse than the Moment. I think that if you are going to use your bike for AM type riding, then you can't go wrong with the moment, but if your riding borders on FR, then get the RFX. Here are some shots of my crew having fun on the RFX's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Outcast
    Moment owners might want to contact the ellsworth warrenty department before they start doing drops to flat as depicted in this photo:

MTB SOCAL
    I think Moments are plenty burly. Here's a pic of my buddy on Amasa Back in Moab.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...59072#poststop
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

Team Sanchez
    Ahh.. Amasa. I love that ride. That's a great shot of that 3 footer to Tranny. I think the Moment is fine for repeated drops to Tranny up to 6 foot or so, but beyond that, I'll take the beef of the Turner. Some more from Amasa....If you look closely in my first pic, you can see my nice mustache.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VooDoo user.
    Let the PI$$IN match begin.