mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Moment sst2 review in TuttoMTB

Anyone able to translate Italian?

www.tuttomtb.it

Click on the magazine cover and scroll through the pages to find the review
    Last edited by Nsynk; 11-26-2010 at 12:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk
    Anyone able to translate Italian?

www.tuttomtb.it

Click on the magazine cover and scroll through the pages to find the review
    Unfortunately you can read only a page in this way ... the review is composed by 6 pages

You have to buy the magazine to have it complete .

I am not able to translate the whole article ... if you want I can make a small resume ...

Ciao,

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pres
    Unfortunately you can read only a page in this way ... the review is composed by 6 pages

You have to buy the magazine to have it complete .

I am not able to translate the whole article ... if you want I can make a small resume ...

Ciao,
    That would be very usefull. Thank you

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk
    That would be very usefull. Thank you
    Will do soon, ciao,

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Here it is

Sorry for my bad translation ... but I hope you can understand ... that we are speaking of one of the best suspension system of the planet

Overview
    To understand who is EHB it is necessary to visit the site www.Ellsworthbikes.com. Even if the website is all in English, the site is clear and well done and every one can understand it even if you don’ t know the language, that is due to the numerous windows dedicated to any technology used to build frames.
    Very useful is the ICT tech center that explains the differences between
    ICT systems and the most popular ones, with a small bike that moves with the mouse
    and relevant graphs that show to the superiority of the project.
    Superior or not, we like to see that the Company has not - for now – entering the
    vortex of new models at all costs, married with a concept (ICT) and perfecting it
    over the time, instead of changing it every two years saying that the "new" system is stiffer, lighter and with a 45% superior performance .
    Unfortunately this is a bad habit of many others Companies .

Frame
    The frame is handcrafted in Vancouver, Washington State.. Each tube is made in 6061 T6 aluminium, made in the USA of course, and is machined to accommodate the needs of "that" frame and not of all the frames, then the thickness and the shape of each tube change for every different models.
    The tubes are then machined to create a perfect assembling of the frame, to avoid bad welds and increase the longevity, the feel and handling of the frame .
    The chainstays are asymmetric and made with monocoque gusset : an elaborate process
    that ensures greater strength in a critical area .
    This process also decreases the weight of the chainstay increasing the feeling when using the bike.

How is made
    Really handmade and well finished in every detail. The logo appears on several
    cosmetics (now we like to call them) as on the saddle, on the clamp, on the head tube,
    on the grips, etc.. Many details of the frame are really beautiful, especially
    the rocker arms are made with a very elaborate CNC process of full, enhanced by
    a carbon bridge that gives them extra rigidity.
    Painting?
    Not at all : all the frames are anodized .
    The steering tube follows the latest trend: tapered tube and the parts on the bike are approuved in 80% of the cases. Only the stem and handlebar width are not suitable to our tastes; the stem is a dh one and has nothing to do with the soul of the bike, the handlebar is too "light" and narrow, limiting the handling at high speed. Also on the rear derailleur the long cage not make sense on a rear end that don’ t have any chain pull and in plus with a double crown and xc ratio (22/32, too short !).
    Also the 175 mm cranks can be discussed : I prefer to be 170 mm on the Medium size of the frame we tested , but here it goes too much on personal feeling.
    On website www.pro-m.com I see in any case that you can choose between two different setting of parts .
    I also don’ t like to much the way where they put the cables, especially the front & rear derailleur on the top tube are straight on it and it seem a kind of bow with arrows on its …and also the rear brake tube near the rocker arms was crushed from the rockers.
    But it was so difficult to make it straight ? On our bike, a demo bike, we have literally peeled - with some bottom out - the last part of the derailleur tube (on the rear of the seat tube), but with some e-mail between the Italian Distributor and EHB we discover that it was already fixed it all, they was already informed and the error will not appear on the final production.

Instant Center Tracking
    Every bicycle Company always speak about the supremacy of its suspension system.
    Better traction, minimal loss of energy and active rear end under braking.
    The list of "+" could grow without limit until I can think that I can go uphill
    without pedaling. The fact is that many of these features are unmasked at the first exit,
    because the bike continues bobbing and became firm under braking, or suspension does not work in harmony with the rear end. It happens less and less times but sometimes the most noble Brands have big problems on it.
    Before to close this description and tell you everything and more about the bike feeling, I
    want to said about the most important features of a system (ICT) born in 1991, patented in 2002 and that today is arrived at his fourth revision. In two words, ICT is a system that
    eliminates the loss of power when pushing on the pedals, while keeping
    active absorption, thanks to the continuous alignment of the chain instant center during pedaling.
    If you want to make a culture on ICT please visit the official website and you'll be amazed from the contents .

Wait a moment !
    Three different rides for testing this bike of 160 mm travel, two in Sardinia and one in Swiss alps .
    The first ride: a ride between the saline and the necropolis of San Giovanni
    Suergiu near Carbonia (Sardinia), gentle climbs and descents, singletrack everywhere and some hard climb .
    The second ride : a day of 'shredding' in the pine forest of Carbonia, which seems to be the scene of a mini ... Rampage : drop, double, hip, a kind of every tracks.
    The third ride : six runs from top to the bottom of Tamaro mountain in Switzerland .
    There are bikes that surprised me in general, this one impressed me more than all for the work of the ICT suspension. To be honest I've always heard good things, but a think is the rumor, and another think is to take the bike everywhere and do everything you have in mind on it.
    We start with the soft side of the rides.
    Pedaling is regal. The pleasure in lifting the saddle and going on more technical trails is the next step after trying it on smooth terrain. ICT suspension, despite an air shock , gives feelings very close to the spring , eliminating everything on the trail without
    the typical retard of the air suspension . Even if in the websitethey tell us
    that there is no loss of power, the Propedal have been always used on plain terrain, and also with maximum rebound : however, help!
    It’ s nice to concentrate and looking ahead, knowing that whatever is the line you will choise the bike will follow without hesitation, without sob, also at couse of the generous height of BB which avoids to touch down the cranks on really technical trail.
    The Talas is spectacular in these situations, you set it down and get ready for more ramps bastard.

Using the bike into a sloopstyle track, theater of photographs.
    I must say I was a bit on that bike, that we won with the maximum of the evaluation .for the confidence the frame gave me even in situations far from his character. Also in that case surprising was the ICT suspension, even it was very hard pumped, that remain very smooth in the first cm of travel and very progressive in hard compressions. Into air it is not the best of the bikes but for this there is always the Momentum frame to have fun, however, the Moment allowed me to put me in extreme situations without too much trouble.
    Then it was the time of a day in hell. On Tamaro mountain the bike give me the soul, more than twenty thousand feet of downhill without giving him a moment of rest exception done for 3 piercing (the light tickness of the Kenda are for Sunday riding only), and here again the rear end enjoy me a lot !
    The rear end is very rigid , do not move even with a butcher style of riding, but I would like a closed dropouts for more stability of the wheel, but here we' re going off topic, only the long cage of the rear derailleur and the ridiculous ratio have made me mad .
    On the Tamaro I rode with pressure of the rear shock significantly lower than the sloopstyle track, and I must admit that while other bikes work only with a certain sag (dual link suspension), this can be set as desired according to the preferences, and always work in the best way !
    Back home I went to confession with the Italian Distributor, saying that the Moment
    does not exploit its full potential, moreover, rear suspension that work so well with
    the air are not so many here around, and a small changing at the geometry could made this bike – that we can consider a Queen of trails – into a very performing race bikes for Superenduro races & Co. , but what can you do ... Mr. Tony Ellsworth consider any changes very well and provably see Europe (and its competition) with a different eye than the biggest USA market .
    Too bad, but he should think again .

Conclusion
    The Moment is a beautiful bike created for those who enjoy trailriding, long, technical and
    very challenging tracks. Pedaling, especially uphill, is easy thanks to the generous top
    tube, which put you a little on the front. It looks like a diesel capable to make
    kilometers and kilometers regardless of the kind of terrain, uphill
    digests everything you found on the trail and in downhill use, provided it is not very steep or tight, is truly one of the most efficient we never tried. In not extreme situations is very stable and reassuring even for the less experienced riders.
    With four thousand euro you will bring home a little gem handmade in USA and assembled well for this type of use . 13.7 kg. without pedals is an excellent starting point for further upgrades to content the weight, see your stem primarily ...

Ciao,

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Molto Gracie!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thank you for taking the time to do this. much appreciated.

Good review too

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Two pictures of Luca Masserini (TuttoMTB tester) from the test .

Enjoy, ciao,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moment sst2 review in TuttoMTB-luca_mom_sst2_1_low.jpg  

Moment sst2 review in TuttoMTB-luca_mom_sst2_2_low.jpg