mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Moment shock/fork

I have a Moment which is currently set up with a DHX coil shock and a Van36 fork.

I want a lighter trail bike and thought about getting an Epiphany but I like the way the Moment handles so I've decided to change the shock/fork to save weight.

I originally had the custom Float R shock and a Talas 125. I replaced the Float when I got the bike and didn't ride it with the Float on.

I like the idea of the extra travel with the 140 Fox forks (pity they have no bolt through axle mind) and I am considering either a RP3 or RP23 shock or even PUSH'ing the original Float shock(if this can be done).

I'm looking for suggestions for shock/fork combo.

The type of riding I like is steep rocky decents with smallish jumps of about 4ft. I'm also a pish rider and very hard on bikes hence the Moment over the Epiphany.

Cheers,

Lobby

VooDoo user.
    Instead of switching out fork and shock how about looking to lose weight in other areas. things such as cranks, BB, handle bars, seat post, stem, pedals, tires, going tubless, sadle, etc. Guess you could switch out the rear shock for a DHX-Air but you'll miss the buttery smoothness of the coil.

I wouldn't want a Moment with any less travel than the Van provides. I feel the front gets too steep. I like a slacker bike for the DH.

Just my opinion

mtbr member
    Hi,

Here's what I'd do...

1. Replace the steel coil on the DHX5.0 with a Ti coil. That will save a pound, and it will feel so much smoother.

2. If you like 160mm of travel in the front, go for a Fox 36 Float. If you like a little shorter travel, go for the Pike 454 Air.

3. You could also go with a carbon downhill bar, ti-railed saddle, and convert your wheels to tubeless (run Stan's NoTubes with regular tires).

Hope this helps.
    - elivingston

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I had the talas 130 pushed and recently switched to a pike dual air. I like the Pike better. Also switched from DHX coil to DHX air. Like the air much better. Teh geometry of the Moment feels better with the Pike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by elivingston
    Hi,

Here's what I'd do...

1. Replace the steel coil on the DHX5.0 with a Ti coil. That will save a pound, and it will feel so much smoother.

2. If you like 160mm of travel in the front, go for a Fox 36 Float. If you like a little shorter travel, go for the Pike 454 Air.

3. You could also go with a carbon downhill bar, ti-railed saddle, and convert your wheels to tubeless (run Stan's NoTubes with regular tires).

Hope this helps.
    Not trying to be a smartarse here, but i've gotta correct you on the Ti coil advice.

I've weighed my DHX coil off the Moment and the coil is 380 grams/ 0.81Ib and the shock itself is 420/ 0.92. So even if you ran it without any coil you wouldn't save a pound.

If the Ti spring is half the weight of the original (you'll be lucky) then you'll save under half a pound. It's still worth doing for some and you keep the feel of the coil, but it's not as big a weight saving as you might think- probably closer to a quarter of a pound.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE
    Not trying to be a smartarse here, but i've gotta correct you on the Ti coil advice.

I've weighed my DHX coil off the Moment and the coil is 380 grams/ 0.81Ib and the shock itself is 420/ 0.92. So even if you ran it without any coil you wouldn't save a pound.

If the Ti spring is half the weight of the original (you'll be lucky) then you'll save under half a pound. It's still worth doing for some and you keep the feel of the coil, but it's not as big a weight saving as you might think- probably closer to a quarter of a pound.
    You're probably right about the Ti spring weight... I haven't actually weighed it. But it definitely is lighter.
    - elivingston

Time is not a road.
    I like the looks of the Marzocchi Roco Air...and you can get it cheap, too. It's a non-platform type shock, which I think would run good wit the ICT design. Surely it's lighter than the DHX. I run an RP23 on mine and it did lessen the weight by a pound. It's a good shock and has changed how the bike feels, no doubt. The DHX really is a DH shock and I found it's performance on small bumps and fast stutter bumps less than stellar. On big hits, it was good and in it's travel cycle felt good, but from the top of the stroke it was harsh.

Anyway, the least I'd go on a Moment is a Pike and really, for me, that'd be too short in the long run. I like the longer stuff.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobbydosser
    I like the idea of the extra travel with the 140 Fox forks (pity they have no bolt through axle mind) and I am considering PUSH'ing the original Float shock.

Lobby
    I think you're on the right track. Fox makes a very light 140mm travel fork (I'd go for the TALAS) and the Float shock will save you a little over a pound.

In regard to Ti springs, you actually don't save as much weight as you think, depending on spring rate on the Moment, you may not save any weight at all over steel or a few ounces at best. So save your money for a different upgrade unless you like the Ti look.

Oh, you'll also be amazed as to how much weight can be saved switching to light wheels and tires, unless you're already on XC wheels and tires, you may want to consider this first.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm in the same position.

My 2006 AM1 and Romic will come off the Moment this week.

2007 Fox 140 and RP23 ( 2.25 SHOCK TRAVEL=6" WHEEL TRAVEL)
    should have late this week.

I already have pretty light weight parts for everything else.

The AM1 and Romic are just overkill for my typical rides.