Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13

    from moment to rogue

    My moment has gained some weight in our 2 year relationship....Im considering a break up. Started out a light XC/AM (32#) bike and now its a heavy AM/FR bike (38#). Im going to to do one of 2 things.

    1) Put the moment on a diet and dedicate it to XC use and buy a rogue for my freeride/light downhill. I will be swapping many of the parts of course (avid code's ,saint crank ,DT swiss fr wheelset, totem)

    2) Keep the moment "as-is" and buy a lightweight XC bike (maybe a single speed?).

    So, the question is, have any of you made the switch from the moment to the rogue? How was it? Also, im 6'2" with a long torso and I love the long top tube of the large moment. Did you notice a big diference in top tube length? (Im assuming the sloping TT on the rogue makes the virtual TT much shorter)

  2. #2
    VooDoo user.
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,394
    1. Keep the Moment for xc/am.

    2. Buy a turner Highline for FR/DH.

    3. Don't waste your money on another Ellsworth.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13

    interesting

    I have to say the highline is very nice.....the DHR looks amaizing too

    Ellsworth has been good to me over the last 8 years.....truth/id/moment and my wife rides a joker. I am very brand loyal and have yet to be burned. (knock on wood) I am the same way with my automobiles...nothing but toyota's for 12 years (4runner, tundra and tacoma).

    I may have to go outside my loyalties and test ride a Turner.......I would like to hear your opinions on why the highline. Please no personal attacks on TE and past customer service. I want info on how the bikes compare. Maybe a Highline vs Rouge comparison?

  4. #4
    KOKOPELLI RACING
    Reputation: doubledecadefirehydrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    198
    yangpei has a moment and a rogue (as well as a few more other nice rigs). i have a moment and a dare. he'd be more likely to give you some good input. i, on the other had, am not so concerned about weight as my only reason for climbing is to descend....
    kokopelli racing

  5. #5
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,136
    Damn, dude, you put a Totem on your Moment?! With that kind of spec, I'd definitely be thinking of upgrading that frame to something more FR, like a Rogue, Highline or 7 point, maybe a Bruja. I don't think the Moment can handle that kind of abuse for very long - plus, the geometry just isn't designed for FR.

    There's lots of good info on the Highline on the Turner boards. I think that single pivots are better for DH/FR riding because of their wheelpath when compared to ICT/FSR types, though just straight FR, like drops, jumps, etc, ICT is good. But look at the geometry of the typical FR bikes and compare them to the Rogue.

    Plus, if they come out with the Dare again, that might be the bike to buy (I've seen some sweet ones for sale in the classified, BTW).
    Last edited by chad1433; 04-17-2007 at 02:07 PM.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13
    The totem is a bit much for the moment....I got a great deal on a new one via craigslist and couldnt pass it up. I actually put the 36 VAN back on the Moment and put the totem on my wifes joker.....I dont think I will be getting it back any time soon.

  7. #7
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,136
    dood...you're wife is a badazz!

  8. #8
    VooDoo user.
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by MomentRider
    I have to say the highline is very nice.....the DHR looks amaizing too

    Ellsworth has been good to me over the last 8 years.....truth/id/moment and my wife rides a joker. I am very brand loyal and have yet to be burned. (knock on wood) I am the same way with my automobiles...nothing but toyota's for 12 years (4runner, tundra and tacoma).

    I may have to go outside my loyalties and test ride a Turner.......I would like to hear your opinions on why the highline. Please no personal attacks on TE and past customer service. I want info on how the bikes compare. Maybe a Highline vs Rouge comparison?
    TIme to expand your horizons. The days of the Joker/Dare are over! Yes the moment is a great and versitile bike but if you want to hit the hard stuff its time to walk away from Ells. There are truely way better bikes out there IE. Canfieeld Bros (F1/Lucky) , Turner (highline/DHR), Transition (dirtbag/gran mal), Chumba (F5). The list goes on but you get the gist.

    As far as the Highline review Go over to the Homer (turner) forum and Search. This year they droped travel to 7.1" to make the bike more versitle. You can still get it in the 8" configuration if you like though.
    ALso check out some of the reviews from interbike '06. ( Best of show to most )

    SOmthing to get you started.

  9. #9
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,119
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    1. Keep the Moment for xc/am.

    2. Buy a turner Highline for FR/DH.

    3. Don't waste your money on another Ellsworth.
    Or really save money and get a Transition

    http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/DirtBag_Pricing.cfm
    http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/GranMal_Pricing.cfm

    if I bought a really long travel bike, I would get a dirbag.

  10. #10
    Mtb & Bassoon player
    Reputation: Palisworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    55
    I ride a Moment for three Years and than got a Totem:I like it but for the Moment it was too much, so I sell the Moment and got a Rogue.
    I like the geometry of the Rogue very much!
    It' s pedals just like the Moment but is much more fun on the dh.
    You will need a rear hub with thru axle 135 X 12 and Cranks with a larger Q factor (the Saint will be ok).
    Others Frames like Turner Highline are beautiful, but I stay on Ellsworth because of the really eccellent support of the Italian Ellswort distributor (Pro-M).
    Ciao.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Id Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    TIme to expand your horizons. The days of the Joker/Dare are over! Yes the moment is a great and versitile bike but if you want to hit the hard stuff its time to walk away from Ells. There are truely way better bikes out there IE. Canfieeld Bros (F1/Lucky) , Turner (highline/DHR), Transition (dirtbag/gran mal), Chumba (F5). The list goes on but you get the gist.

    As far as the Highline review Go over to the Homer (turner) forum and Search. This year they droped travel to 7.1" to make the bike more versitle. You can still get it in the 8" configuration if you like though.
    ALso check out some of the reviews from interbike '06. ( Best of show to most )

    SOmthing to get you started.
    The Dare days are not over...

    - Mondo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sold the Id; riding the Rogue, saving for an Evolve...I ride, I know.

    mondo@thepathbikeshop.com

    http://www.thepathbikeshop.com

  12. #12
    Why aren't you riding????
    Reputation: offtheedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by Id Rider
    The Dare days are not over...

    - Mondo
    so a Dare, a Chaos, and a Moment are having a threesome..................

  13. #13
    ~~~~~~~~
    Reputation: airwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,790
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    1. Keep the Moment for xc/am.

    2. Buy a turner Highline for FR/DH.

    3. Don't waste your money on another Ellsworth.
    I got to laugh because one of the guys I ride with is on a moment and keeps talking about getting a rogue also. He went from a broken truth to the moment and most all the riding he does has lots of jumping. Had him ride a dialed in highline in his size, 7 inch travel with totem, he loved it. He's never ridden a rogue, but is convinced that is what he is going to get.

    I'm trying to talk him into getting a fork first, he's on a leaky DUC now, maybe a 66sl, and he can get a feel for some different angles and then put the 66 on the rogue.

    What kind of geometry differences will there be between 66 on a moment and a 66 on a rogue?

  14. #14
    VooDoo user.
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Id Rider
    The Dare days are not over...

    - Mondo
    First. My post was made before the release of the new Chaos/dare hybrid.

    Secondly. We'll just have to see if a true FR/DH bike is released to the public.

    Third. I'd still buy a Turner, Chumba, Canfield, etc. before another Ellsworth.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •