mtbr member
    May 2005

New question here. moment rocker arm measurement

my 05 moment's rocker arm i2i measured 8" (rear end) and 3.5" (shock end)
    and my DHXa has 2.25" of stroke travel

by using this simple calculation for the leverage ratio:
    2.25 / 3.5 = T / 8
    then, T = 2.25 / 3.5 x 8
    thus, T = 5.14

it gives about 5" of rear wheel travel, where it is supposed to have 6" of travel
    have I missed something?

any moment owner who is better at maths or physics can help?
    or the latest moment has got a different rocker arm?

cheers

mtbr member

I think 2005 are 5". 6" are from 2006

I hope i'm wrong for you!!!

anyone?

benny

mtbr member
    May 2005
    if the post-2006 rocker arm could give 6" of travel, i'll be interested in getting the newest rocker arms

any fellow 07, 08 moment owners could take a quick measure of the rocker arm?

cheers

mtbr member
    slikvic,

Keep in mind that what you measured is the travel at the end of the rocker arm, not the travel at the rear axle. The whole linkage and not just the rocker geometry determines the travel at the rear axle. The seatstay angle relative to the rocker changes throughout the travel and that affects the leverage at the rear axle.

To give you an example that I am better familiar with, the ratio of i2i distances of the rocker for the 5 Spot is 2.2 but the average leverage ratio of the entire linkage is 2.75.

VooDoo user.
    I think you need to cycle the suspension and get a measurement to actually have a real life travel number.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I was under the impression that the difference in travel (5.3 and 6 inch ) would be because of the variation in stroke of the shock options , and that the rockers are the same .

If am not mistaken , The older Moments were offered with a FOX AVA with a 2.0 inch stroke for 5.3 inches of travel . Whereas to get six inches they would use a DHX coil with 2.25 inches of stroke . Would anyone here know if that is the case, or if travel is dependent on rocker variations ?

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes,rockers are same,using 2,25 stroke shock gives 6" travel.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i looked up some old MBA issue back in '04, moment was indeed 5" in its 1st generation, when they used a rounded carbon rod spacer in the rocker arms.

i think mybike1971 was right.. the rear wheel hub pivot would travel more than the pivot of the rocker arm rear end. because the travel distance will get magnified by the longer chainstay