mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Moment questions

Hi,

I am currently looking at replacing my frame, and after looking around have seen a place selling off moment frames here in the UK for about the right price.

However as they are miles away from me, I can't easily go and have a look before I buy (I might drive down to them, if I actually decide to get one but its hard to just go and have a look) So before I make the next move I thought it might be a good idea to speak to people who actually have one, hence this post

So, can anyone tell me the difference between Moment 05->06->07 frames?

Whats the tyre cleareance like on these frames? as I normally run Kenda Nevegal/Blue Groove 2.35's would they fit?

at 6'2" would a medium or a large be better I want to use this frame, for Alps trips, the ocassional DH run, and generally playing in the woods but I would use it ever now and again for long rides when I fancy a change from my HT.

Whatrs the best shock to get, the shop are offering the frame with Talas/DHX air or DHX coil, what have people found to be the best shock for this frame?

Thank for any help

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hi Rich,

Firstly good choice of frame! The Moment is awesome. For 07 the tubes are different, swaged and butted a lot more plus they are manufactured in the new factory. The stays are asymetric which are lighter and stiffer. The 05 - 06 frames are the same. I run Conti and Schwalbe 2.35's on mine and have plenty of clearance. Not sure about how Kenda's measure up in reality.

At 6'2 I reckon you need a large, I'm 5'11 and have a medium with a lot of seatpost showing. Still makes in chuckable though. Shock wise, well I run both Coil and Air depending what I'm doing. Only really use the Coil for the Alps or shore stuff so most of the time I'm running the Air for general trail use. I'm using a DHX5 with Ti Coil and a PUSH'ed Float R. I went for the latter instead of the RP3 because I run no propedal on the DHX. The bike pedals well enough without it IMHO.

Which area are you in?
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I am in Bristol. I am pretty sure this is the frame I want, only thing with the large is its got a very long TT, which is worrying. A Medium with a thomson looks like it might be the best option for chuckable but rideable, but I am not sure as it will be a pain in the arse if I get the wrong size.

As for shock, is the float R a 2" stroke shock (giving 5" of travel) and the DHX a 2.25"? and if so are they the same eye to eye measurement?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RichC
    I am in Bristol. I am pretty sure this is the frame I want, only thing with the large is its got a very long TT, which is worrying. A Medium with a thomson looks like it might be the best option for chuckable but rideable, but I am not sure as it will be a pain in the arse if I get the wrong size.

As for shock, is the float R a 2" stroke shock (giving 5" of travel) and the DHX a 2.25"? and if so are they the same eye to eye measurement?
    The large does look huge with a long wheelbase, singletrack would be a bit sluggish. Check the pic of min a few threads down. You are right about the Float and DHX, but they are stock shocks, Tim at TFT sorted mine.
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    As I want it for Alpine hammering, I think the Large is just to 'Large' so I think I will have to risk the medium

I will look for the pic of yours now, thanks for the help

Time is not a road.
    Newer Fox air shocks will come in the correct size for 6" of travel. The Marzocci Roco air looks good, too, but so far no one has opted for one, at least on these boards.

I recommend an adjustable travel fork over 150mm of travel. That's just my take, but the bike seems more balanced with a bit more travel up front, though this can make for sloppy climbing. If you do get a longer travel fork (150 or more), stay away from King headsets. They creak. Go for Hope or FSA.

Kendas will fit fine, I've run them in the past. I think you could go up to at least a 2.5 tire - there's plenty of clearance. I have 2.4 Schwalbes now, no clearance issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hi

I live oooop North and enjoy the Lakes, Penines, North Wales, Yorkshire etc on my Large Moment. I have done Les Arc on it for 2 weeks and it was great for both the singletrack and downhill course (tho I ain't that big a downhiller!) I am also goin to do the Tour of Mont Blanc this summer and then spend a week in Morzine and Les Gets doing DH XC and FR - this bike is really versatile. Oh yeah I am 6ft 2" btw.
    A medium may suit ya more for chucking around tho I guess, as far as I know the standover height is the same on all sizes.. I think!!!

I am running an RC41 fork but I am looking to beef up the bike with either Wotan or Lyrik in the next week or so!. Have a Romic Ti on the rear!

Out of interest who is selling off the Moments? - not Freeborn surely!!!.

Gotta go, off to try me new lights on the Commonwealth XC course this avo!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    cool sounds perfect, I have a 200mm 50mm stroke RP3 spare, as thats what fitted my old bike, so I keep that for when I want a lighter 5" bike and get the frame with a 2.25 DHX coil and get a Nuke Proof Ti Spring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Can somebody tell me what 1,78 m is in feet?

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by seibukan
    Can somebody tell me what 1,78 m is in feet?
    584' in 178m. Or is that 1,078m or 1,780m?

http://worldwidemetric.com/Measurements.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    1.78 m = 178 cm
    178 / 2.54 cm/inch = 70.08 inches
    70.08/ 12 inches/foot = 5.84 feet or about 5'10"

thumb

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The Navigal/Bluegroove combo fits these with room to spare so don't worry. I know guys with '06 moments that run this setup as well as others that run even wider tires. I personally run Intense 2.5 in the front and 2.35 in the rear.

at 5 11 I have a medium moment and run a thompson post with it sticking WAY out for XC riding and it drops down nice for when I do some gravity assist fun. Depending on your body dimensions the medium may be too small. These bikes are very stretched out with long cockpits as a large would be way too big for me, but it may just fit you perfectly depending on if your height is in your legs or in your torso. whats your inseam?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanx!

I've just read a freeride-review about bikes and one was equipped with INtense 2.5 and they were all excited about them.