Thread: Moment Overhaul

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Moment Overhaul

After a year and a half of neglect and abuse I stripped her down. New Forks, chainset, cassette, chain, seatpost and tyres and Pike 454s. Still produces a grin on my face whether carving singletrack or 2000m descents in the Alps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Time is not a road.
    Looks sweet, man

How do you like the Nobby Nic? What kind of terrain are you riding in? I'm thinking of switching up when my Big Betties get worn to lose some weight. I ride in pretty dusty, rocky conditions though, so I wonder how they'd hold up.

Hooray Beer!
    nice- what fork were you running before overhaul

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cheers Chad. I'm riding dusty hardpack at the moment and they are super quick, loads of grip due to the soft tacky compound. I like the Racing Ralph at the back as I like to drift lots, it's all predictable though. The Nobby Nic takes some getting used to and took a while for me to fully commit on some corners. I run Conti Verts on more gloopy stuff.

Kid A, I was running a Van 32R before, nice fork but obviously not as adjustable as the Pikes. Plus I was easily able to convert the front wheel to 20mm.
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

mtbr member
    Hey, is that a ti spring on your the DHX 5? Do you like it was it worth the coin? I switched to a DHX air a while back but it seems to shoot through the middle of its travle. So I was thinking about going back to the coil, and I know the ti spring would save some wieght.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

We're going down WHAT??

From the motherland??

Zackster, I am assuming that you are residing in UK. (Cheers, Schwalbe tires, Ti spring for Fox DHX) I am sure that there are other clues but I haven't gotten to them as of yet. I was looking at replacing my spring for a Ti spring, but they are not as accessble here in So-Cal as they are there in the UK. (I am still ASSuming you are in the UK).. The springs here for that fork are VERY expensive. Which makes them cost prohibitive for the most part. Can you tel me, has the ride quality changed? How much weight did you actually save?? I ws running Fox Float 32 RL. How does that Pike compare? How much does your current setup weigh? By the way, your rig looks pretty damn sweet...
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I got the DHX with the ti spring from a friend who works in the industry, so can't really compare the performance. I do have the steel spring and have weighed both in each hand (not very scientific!) and there is a marked difference in weight. As for the the Pikes, a big difference!! Mainly the maxle which allows me to hit rock gardens with less style! You can really feel the difference in stiffness and a lot less flutter under hard braking. I stayed away from R/S for a few years (the dark days of the duke and psylos etc..) but having got some Revelations for my hardtail I was super impressed with the performance, quality of finish and reliability. Of course the 454s are really adjustable compared to the Van 32s.
    Can't wait to test the Pikes on this years Swiss Alp trips.

jonsocal, good detective work! Yes I'm in the UK. Schwalbes are easy to get although I get mine from a German on-line shop. Plus that wall the bike is standing against is over 400 years old! I haven't weighed the bike as I'm not really bothered about weight, prefer just a solid build. I'm guessing it's around the 30-31lbs mark.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    vow - stunning bike!