mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Moment front shock...help

I was hoping to get some advice spec-ing my Moment.....(Grey by the way, I love the way it looks purple in certain light)

The LBS is recomneding a Fox Talas 05, which comes with 90mm to 130mm. I've looked at the shock and it's light (and expensive) but am not sure about the bike being balanced with 130m at the front and 150 at the back (rear shock will be a 05 DHX 5.0) The same shop also has a Fox Pike for sale, also at 130m but with that cool option to be able to choose the height with a turn of a dial.

Ellsworth recommended Z150 so i've managed to find an SL version which is cheaper than the Fox and comes with the full 150mm. I also like the idea of being able to lock out the fork to any height and still have 30m of travel. I've weighed the SL and it comes in at 5lbs. I'm not a weight weenie but hey want to get up those hills.

Foremost in my mind is having to consider the sort of terrain i'll be riding. The trails I ride are littered with short but very steep, sometimes technical climbs. They really need to be attacked hard to get up them and I have buddies who struggle even on their XC bikes.....

I'm going to use the Moment as an aggresive XC bike. I've already broken the frame on my Kona and since coming back from Whistler, and Vancouver have found that i'm riding a lot harder...

So, does anyone have experience of these shocks? (espcially the Z150) either on or off the Moment (or Id) and have any recomnedations for me?

Thanks in advance....

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by Staka
    I was hoping to get some advice spec-ing my Moment.....(Grey by the way, I love the way it looks purple in certain light)

The LBS is recomneding a Fox Talas 05, which comes with 90mm to 130mm. I've looked at the shock and it's light (and expensive) but am not sure about the bike being balanced with 130m at the front and 150 at the back (rear shock will be a 05 DHX 5.0) The same shop also has a Fox Pike for sale, also at 130m but with that cool option to be able to choose the height with a turn of a dial.

Ellsworth recommended Z150 so i've managed to find an SL version which is cheaper than the Fox and comes with the full 150mm. I also like the idea of being able to lock out the fork to any height and still have 30m of travel. I've weighed the SL and it comes in at 5lbs. I'm not a weight weenie but hey want to get up those hills.

Foremost in my mind is having to consider the sort of terrain i'll be riding. The trails I ride are littered with short but very steep, sometimes technical climbs. They really need to be attacked hard to get up them and I have buddies who struggle even on their XC bikes.....

I'm going to use the Moment as an aggresive XC bike. I've already broken the frame on my Kona and since coming back from Whistler, and Vancouver have found that i'm riding a lot harder...

So, does anyone have experience of these shocks? (espcially the Z150) either on or off the Moment (or Id) and have any recomnedations for me?

Thanks in advance....
    I've got the '05 TALAS on my Moment (DHX 5.0) and it's been a good fork that doesn't feel unbalanced. Aggressive XC describes my riding, I think. I don't routinely do hucks or big jumps, but I go fast over rough terrain and do rides with large amounts of suspension movement while moving slowly over technical obstacles, up and down.

The Moment is designed around a 5 or 6 inch fork so I imagine either would work OK. I hit big obstacles with my weight quite far back and the 6 rear 5 front configuration rides very well this way. If you are going to be doing big drops to flat landings, I'd get 6 in front.

I weigh 190# and riding weight is 205 or so. I've been considering 6 inches up front, but I'm going to wait until the 6 inch single crown forks have been more thoroughly reviewed. With an XTR QR the TALAS feels a tad squirrelly compared to the rest of the bike, so a through axle 5 or 6 inch fork would balance the bike better rigidity wise,

Good luck with your decision. Either way, you're going to love this bike.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

happy trails!
    Aug 2004

Good job! Yep bob i agree

choice wise that 6 inch + the 36 (when it comes out) are good choices
    i sure hope the Talas's for the "moment" are not going to be as bad as you say, im gonna have to live with them a while, once i get em all built!!
    ............OK i'l admit it, i am a rambling idiot!!!!
    I wanna run i wanna ride i wanna tear down the trails that call me inside i wanna reach out and touch the flame Where the streets have no name......

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for your advice guys,

I've gone for the z150 sl. I rode a z1 bomber on my mate's Hecker and really liked the shock plus with the lock down there is still 30 mm of travel which is fine for non technical climbs. I think i'll definitely be using the full travel even though the longer wheel base will make it a bit "flicky" at low speeds...

I've just been out for a short blat on it and it seemed to climb fine. In fact if it climbs as well tomorow when i'm on the trail it may even compete with my XC bike....now that will really impress me.....will give an update soon.....