Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Moment Frame - Swarf/Damaged Seat Post/Reaming frame etc

Does anyone have any experience of swarf/metal filings inside the seat tube of their Moment, or their seat tube being badly-finished on the inside, with the result of having the sh*t scratched out of their shiny new seat post, like I have had? If so, does anyone have any tips for how to sort this out?

Thoughts much appreciated...

Thanks guys

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by percytakacs
    Does anyone have any experience of swarf/metal filings inside the seat tube of their Moment, or their seat tube being badly-finished on the inside, with the result of having the sh*t scratched out of their shiny new seat post, like I have had? If so, does anyone have any tips for how to sort this out?

Thanks guys
    If you have the old style bead blasted finish, the tiny shot used in the finishing process gets stuck in the frame, then works itself loose later to cause problems. I had one of these buggers scratch my seatpost and another ruined the bottom bracket threads which needed to be chased with a tap. Since aluminum doesn't rust, I think the best remedy would be to wash the inside of the tubes with some detergent and water, then rinse them out thoroughly.

The old frames should have come with a warning sticker. If you have a smooth ano bike, then I don't know what would be causing the problem. Good luck getting it sorted out.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by percytakacs

Thanks guys
    Get to a local bike shop and ask them to ream the seat tube for you. That should sort it out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Moment Frame - Swarf/Damaged Seat Post

I had the same problem with mine and what i was advised to do my the shop i bought the bike from was obviously send the frame back and they would sort it out which there was no way iwas going to do cos i couldn't wait to get out on it or sort it out myself like this-
    A few inches down the seat tube there is a hole coming from the top tube you need to fill this hole in and the way to do it is to use some expanding foam in it.So put some expanding foam in the hole it's a bit fiddly but what i did was make a longer pipe out of fish tank tubing and then put some just in the hole so that when it expanded it would come back out of the hole.When it set i cleaned it up and got some really fine wet and dry and cleaned the seat tube up with that and then i put a powerfull hose down the tube justo try and get rid of any crap that was still in there and that seemed to work fine for me.
    So basically what you need to do is block the hole that comes from the top tube joining to the seat tube as this is where the shot peene is coming from.
    Now there may be other ways of sorting this out before anyone shoots me down but that is how i sorted mine and one of my friends Moments out.
    Good luck

AKA shitbird
    I can relate to your problem. I bought the seatpost brand new for this frame. Looks great right?

moment SP.jpg

moment Seatpost.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Same thing happened to my Thomson post and eventully got stuck. I got it out but it was ruined at that point. Ellsworth Quality hard at work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Same **** on my Rogue, even worst than yours, I suffered like hell to take it out, then I cut the seat post since I don't do XC, the saddle is always down, I just left 12 cm of seat post inside. Such bad finishing is a shame.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Same thing on my Moment. Think I will head to the LBS this weekend and see if they can clean it up a little.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It is funny to think you lambaste me at every opportunity, but your own post clearly provides evidence that you are not happy with the quality, as I. You attack me at every opportunity, yet your own posts show you to be unhappy and unsatisfied. Imagine me: Full Ellsworth faithful, one of the first on the Shore with a Dare (back when the frames were all tube welded) and then to find what the company has done now with the FR/DH segment. You call me outlandish for my tirades???????????

All matters, large or small, matter. If a frame is too weak; or, in your case, the seatpost reaming is bad, it all matters. We are not talking about a cheap frame here. We do not expect FR frames to have flex, seatpost tubes to destroy seatpost finishes or to have frames break due to lack of engineering. That is my point. I find it funny you think I am off base given my factual attacks yet you have factual attacks of your own.

But even Jesus forgave hippocrites.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ahhh...what?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

That is material from the peening process

As far as I know this is an issue on almost all Moments, and not on any other Ellsworth. The issue is small metal balls that are blasted at the frame. Trust me when I say that you cannot solve this problem with reaming or cleaning. The foaming technique works great. We have been sealing the seat tube from the other frame tubes on every Moment that we build, and this seems to be a completely efective solution. It is a bit time consuming but well worth the effort. Just shoot a little carpenters foam in the hole where the top tube meets the seat tube, then at the down tube. Let dry for 24 hours then hone and chase. No more balls, no more stuck and scratched post, no more messed up BB threads. Yes I have had to chase some BBs after these balls were dragged across the threads upon BB removal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sorry but I faced that same issue on my Rogue...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I had the same shot peen issue on my 06 Moment. All you have to do is strip the frame down and swish some mineral spirits through the frame several times and it should be all gone. My new seat post has no sratches on it every since. The problem is not a quality issue with the frame its a poor cleaning after the shot peen process.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Took a closer look at the frame today, it looks like the weld for the top tube actually has full penatration into the seat tube, creating a little ridge in the tube. I did see the blasting medium you guys were talking about though. Anyone else see this?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I see.

Do you have any idea how time consuming and labourious it is to COMPLETELY strip a frame to correct a problem that should of never of been in the first place? Be my guest if you want- this is NOT something I would expect in a HIGH end frame. Kind of like the banks: you pay to actually get service. I would be livid if I had to completely strip my frame in order to fix a problem that should of never been. In fact, I think for such an issue a voucher from Ellsworth for about $200 should cover it to compensate ANYONE who has to completely strip a frame for an obvious manufacturing error. Sorry, but I cannot see it any other way.

I have yet to see a Foes stripped for the very same issue. Or Turner, Santa Cruz, Banshee, Orange.............
    Last edited by blackfly; 01-08-2007 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Change the record blackfly, you shot yourself in the foot along time ago - which means no one listens or values your opinion anymore. You don't own an Ells now so get over it and get over yourself. Why do you feel the need to post here anyway? I had the same problem on my Moment, the shop sorted it no questions. I've also had problems with my Turner. I also have mates that have had problems with Foes.

That said, you do make me laugh though (in a laugh at you way).

It's just sad that Ellsworth eats you up inside so much. Your constant *****ing on here will make no difference to what people want to ride. I had a Foes, didn't get on with it, great bike but just not for me, end of.

Sad, really sad.

Now run along little boy and enjoy your Foes.
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yesssssss, where is my voucher ??????

By the way my friend's VP free broke into two after only eight months, be my guest, how much should he claimed????

One thing for sure, with you we are never disappointed...

The Dude Abides
    I've learned that this seatpost issue is not Ellsworth specific, and is more than likely not caused by the beads from shot peening. Someone mentioned this above, but I was informed by my LBS that sometimes welds penetrate the seat tube and leave very small burrs. The seat tube should be reamed out to eliminate them, but nothing is ever perfect.

My LBS has tools to correct this, maybe yours does too. They told me they'll see this same thing happen on maybe 10 frames per year, and none of them are Ellsworths.

I do have an interesting case I just discovered last week that may involve some beads. My LBS is working on it and I'm not going to post until I have a resolution. But basically, if you think your seat post is bad.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfly
    It is funny to think you lambaste me at every opportunity, but your own post clearly provides evidence that you are not happy with the quality, as I. You attack me at every opportunity, yet your own posts show you to be unhappy and unsatisfied. Imagine me: Full Ellsworth faithful, one of the first on the Shore with a Dare (back when the frames were all tube welded) and then to find what the company has done now with the FR/DH segment. You call me outlandish for my tirades???????????

All matters, large or small, matter. If a frame is too weak; or, in your case, the seatpost reaming is bad, it all matters. We are not talking about a cheap frame here. We do not expect FR frames to have flex, seatpost tubes to destroy seatpost finishes or to have frames break due to lack of engineering. That is my point. I find it funny you think I am off base given my factual attacks yet you have factual attacks of your own.

But even Jesus forgave hippocrites.
    No- we call you a troll...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by UP Dude
    I've learned that this seatpost issue is not Ellsworth specific, and is more than likely not caused by the beads from shot peening. Someone mentioned this above, but I was informed by my LBS that sometimes welds penetrate the seat tube and leave very small burrs. The seat tube should be reamed out to eliminate them, but nothing is ever perfect.

My LBS has tools to correct this, maybe yours does too. They told me they'll see this same thing happen on maybe 10 frames per year, and none of them are Ellsworths.

I do have an interesting case I just discovered last week that may involve some beads. My LBS is working on it and I'm not going to post until I have a resolution. But basically, if you think your seat post is bad.......
    There are plenty of times where a bike may have some imperfection in the seat tube, and it needs a ream or a hone.

The thing with the Moment is diferent. We have reamed and reamed and Honed and Honed. Everyhting will be fine, then later more little metal balls work their way out of the other tubes and cause scratches on the post and cause it to stick.

Ellsworth acknowledges the problem.

We sell over 100 Ellsworth bikes per year, and we have only seen this problem on the Moment. Ellsworth slightly changed the finish on all of the bikes in 07 partly to help insure that this problem would go away.

Even with all of the heart ache. With unhappy customers at first, then lots of extra work on each build after we found a solution, the Moment is one of the most impressive bikes I have ever seen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

It is annoying

I see.

Do you have any idea how time consuming and labourious it is to COMPLETELY strip a frame to correct a problem that should of never of been in the first place? Be my guest if you want- this is NOT something I would expect in a HIGH end frame. Kind of like the banks: you pay to actually get service. I would be livid if I had to completely strip my frame in order to fix a problem that should of never been. In fact, I think for such an issue a voucher from Ellsworth for about $200 should cover it to compensate ANYONE who has to completely strip a frame for an obvious manufacturing error. Sorry, but I cannot see it any other way.

I have yet to see a Foes stripped for the very same issue. Or Turner, Santa Cruz, Banshee, Orange.............
    It sucks having to work out the kinks on a bike that costs a lot of money.

I have seen embarassing issues on most of the bike brands that you mentioned. Turner is pretty close to beyond reproach on these kind of issues, but not no one is perfect. Don't even get me started on Santa Cruz.

The Dude Abides
    Quote Originally Posted by thephat
    There are plenty of times where a bike may have some imperfection in the seat tube, and it needs a ream or a hone.

The thing with the Moment is diferent. We have reamed and reamed and Honed and Honed. Everyhting will be fine, then later more little metal balls work their way out of the other tubes and cause scratches on the post and cause it to stick.

Ellsworth acknowledges the problem.

Do you know of any actions taken to reimburse customers/dealers for the trouble this has caused?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Don't call me boy.

I find it hard to believe that any Foes owner would have to completely disassemble a frame to clean out the insides from shot peening since the frames are painted. Only a few FXR's were anodized at extra expense, and to my knowledge this was not an issue. I would be livid to have to strip my entire frame, at my time and expense, to fix an issue (not to mention the down time) that should of never been. Simply put, this is simple quality control that escaped the firm due to lack of care or understanding. How one could not hear balls rolling around inside a frame and then ship it is beyond me, but hey, if fools build it, fools will buy it.

Just for your info, bro, I was riding an Ellsworth when they were trying to make their name known, probably before you were. I found the quality to be superb, and at the time there was no bike better made, with better materials, then my 1999/2000 tube welded Dares (I owned both). Both had Easton tubing, flawless welds and, impossibly, dead arrow straight frames. I had Ellsworth at its pinnicle. My 2001 Dare, the first of the extruded frames, was better, but at the expense of a non-replaceable hanger. I was so faithful that I disregarded this fact and bought it anyway. It is the only hanger I have ever broken on a less than stellar crash. But that was the ****. Now Ellsworth cares only about numbers. Easy money. Frames easy to make, weld, sell and market. No R+D. No commitment to the real FR/DH market. The facts speak for themselves. The Chaos, to my knowing, was never made.

You fail to understand that I am not some dumbshit Ellsworth hater for no know reason. I promoted this company on the Shore at a time no one ever HEARD of Ellsworth, and believe me, the bikes are on my favorites list. It kills me to know the company was heading in the right direction, but for reasons obvious only to the pocket, they went the other way.

Heart and soul.

If you think this does not matter to you, the paying customer, then fine. Someone has to prove PT. Barnum right.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Don't call me boy.

I find it hard to believe that any Foes owner would have to completely disassemble a frame to clean out the insides from shot peening since the frames are painted. Only a few FXR's were anodized at extra expense, and to my knowledge this was not an issue. I would be livid to have to strip my entire frame, at my time and expense, to fix an issue (not to mention the down time) that should of never been. Simply put, this is simple quality control that escaped the firm due to lack of care or understanding. How one could not hear balls rolling around inside a frame and then ship it is beyond me, but hey, if fools build it, fools will buy it.

Just for your info, bro, I was riding an Ellsworth when they were trying to make their name known, probably before you were. I found the quality to be superb, and at the time there was no bike better made, with better materials, then my 1999/2000 tube welded Dares (I owned both). Both had Easton tubing, flawless welds and, impossibly, dead arrow straight frames. I had Ellsworth at its pinnicle. My 2001 Dare, the first of the extruded frames, was better, but at the expense of a non-replaceable hanger. I was so faithful that I disregarded this fact and bought it anyway. It is the only hanger I have ever broken on a less than stellar crash. But that was the ****. Now Ellsworth cares only about numbers. Easy money. Frames easy to make, weld, sell and market. No R+D. No commitment to the real FR/DH market. The facts speak for themselves. The Chaos, to my knowing, was never made.

You fail to understand that I am not some dumbshit Ellsworth hater for no know reason. I promoted this company on the Shore at a time no one ever HEARD of Ellsworth, and believe me, the bikes are on my favorites list. It kills me to know the company was heading in the right direction, but for reasons obvious only to the pocket, they went the other way.

Heart and soul.

If you think this does not matter to you, the paying customer, then fine. Someone has to prove PT. Barnum right.
    LOL you crack me up! For sheer entertainment there is no one like blackfly! LOL
    I rode a lot of Ellsworth proto's back in the day. So no you weren't riding them before me. But move along now boy. Let it go boy, let it go!

Right, I'm off to the Shore for some Rad moves.

LOL
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

banned
    Mar 2005
    It kills me to know the company was heading in the right direction, but for reasons obvious only to the pocket, they went the other way.
    +1...it was expected with the move to their factory

All of my retail suppliers, when they sourced their production to a 3'rd party were able to spec their products, have impact on quality control, and the factories, having the volume to max their production, were able to maintain lower costs, have ISO9000 quality control, and invested the capital to keep their factories up to date.

Once any of them moved into their own facilities, cost control became an issue and quality was the first to suffer. It became a Catch 22 situation because poor quality led to customer returns, fewer orders, lower sales...which led to more cost cutting, eventually the raw materials began to be comprimised. One of my alunimum product suppliers began use thinner sheeting, eventually we were able to dent the product by poking it with a finger. He was delisted and our entire inventory was returned...went bankrupt shortly after.

Our Ellwsworth dealer hasn't had a new frame in stock since 2005 and will only custom order if prepaid

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast