VooDoo user.

moment in feb. MBA mag.

The 2008 Moment recieved a very good review.

Just an FYI.

mtbr member
    No details????
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

VooDoo user.
    They gave it high marks for decending. There was a quick comparo between the '04 and the '08. Pointing out the 67.8 degree HA and the 14.2" BB. I belive the '04 had a 69degree HA and was built around 5 1/2" of travel. The test bike had the dhxair and a 36 Van up front. On the steep climbs w/the Van it was noted that the front end does lift. So make sure to keep the front end weighted or purchase a travel adjustable fork.
    All in all a very positive review.

Title states " The Moment you've been waiting for".

Perhaps someone could link up the whole article.

ZEN RIDER!
    Some of my best steep climbs have been seating the rear suspension & having the front end lift up slightly. I use this method often on my 05 Moment. You can pull back on the bars & hammer up using the point of balance. Plus your front tire won't hitch on anything. Of course in CT I get a lot pf practice going up & then down agian & up agian & turning & turning agian...you get the picture.
    Life in every breath

Praise Bob

Some negative comments

Not to be a fanboy, but i thought their comments about the Moment's weight were a bit odd. The statement was something like newer bikes in this category are about 6lbs less. I dont see how that's realistic. I have my bike built up to 33lbs, and I dont see how any similarly built bike is going to be 6lbs less. It comes down to frame weight and you dont see many sub 3 lb AM frames, so I wonder how they can make such a blanket statement. In another section they said it didnt hide it's weight very well.

They also mentioned that previous incarnations had 5" of rear travel. I thought they have been 6" since 2006? Anyone know differently?

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex
    The statement was something like newer bikes in this category are about 6lbs less. I don't see how that's realistic.
    They are comparing it with the Specialized Enduro SL (approx 27lbs-full bike 6" travel)
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

New to the Nicolai Clan
    Hmmm...

I own an 04 Moment and I believe that it has 6" of travel with it's 7.875 x 2.25 shock. I was led to believe that the 5" was with the 2" stroke shock.

I also find it hard to believe the 67.5 degree HA with a 495mm fork...

My theory is and has always been that the HA has always been the same, they have just measured it with different length forks. My fork is a Wotan at 540mm A2C so I calculate (very roughly) that it's around 67 (based on 69 degrees with a 495mm fork, as per Ellsworth's old website)

PS. I love the bike. I thought about selling it a little while back, but I lowered my stem, bought a 25mm rise handlebar and had the DHX coil Pushed... it is a fantastic bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Momentus
    Hmmm...

I own an 04 Moment and I believe that it has 6" of travel with it's 7.875 x 2.25 shock. I was led to believe that the 5" was with the 2" stroke shock.

I also find it hard to believe the 67.5 degree HA with a 495mm fork...

My theory is and has always been that the HA has always been the same, they have just measured it with different length forks. My fork is a Wotan at 540mm A2C so I calculate (very roughly) that it's around 67 (based on 69 degrees with a 495mm fork, as per Ellsworth's old website)

PS. I love the bike. I thought about selling it a little while back, but I lowered my stem, bought a 25mm rise handlebar and had the DHX coil Pushed... it is a fantastic bike.
    Exactly. I was thinking about selling my 2004 Moment the other day, and I had to b!tch-slap myself back into reality. It's a great all mountain rig.
    - elivingston

New to the Nicolai Clan
    Oh yes it is!!!

Some pics of the bike in action...

Momentus & Whafe's Sunday Morning Jaunt

MTB SOCAL
    I just finished reading the MBA review article on the Moment. I thought it was a pretty lukewarm review. They really bashed the weight as previous posters mentioned. I'm not sure why Ells spec'd the test bike with freeride wheels. Anyways, compared to the way MBA raves about bikes like the SC Heckler - it wasn't the most positive review. I still love my Moment. In fact, I'm thinking about upgrading to a 08 Moment.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

not so super...
    aren't most MBA reviews positive with masked jabs to make you think they are being objective?
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    They are comparing it with the Specialized Enduro SL (approx 27lbs-full bike 6" travel)
    The Enduro SL that is 27lbs is the carbon version, right? My friend has an Enduro SL Expert and that sucker is definitely not 27lbs, it's closer to 30lbs. My Moment is about 32lbs (with a coil spring) and it's built up much beefier than the SL Expert.

Praise Bob

Well described

Quote Originally Posted by yangpei
    I just finished reading the MBA review article on the Moment. I thought it was a pretty lukewarm review. They really bashed the weight as previous posters mentioned.
    That's it exactly. Well said. It was lukewarm which I found odd since the last MBA review raved over it. First let me be clear, I am not bashing MBA, it was a pretty accurate review. It just seemed blah and clinical. In the same issue other reviews contained subjective, descriptive statements that really inspired you to think that the bike in question made riding a fun new experience. The moment review was a regurgitation of geometry and a really blase riding experience.

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    aren't most MBA reviews positive with masked jabs to make you think they are being objective?
    Verry true. BUUUUT if you read between the lines when they really like something they practically wet themselves and when they are not pleased they make a "JAB".
    All in all a fairly good review.
    The 36 spoke wheelset is a bit much for the moment. Also I think the bike would definatley benefit from a travel adjust fork.

On a side note[SIZE="1"](I'm totally gonna eat a lot of crow for all the previous smack I have talked)[/SIZE] I just sold the '05 and will be getting an '08.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I think they're fairly accurate in their reviews, but they are definitely not 100% objective. Also, they clearly have a love affair with some components and bike manufacturers (Santa Cruz, Titus, Stans NoTubes, Nevegals, SRAM XO, come to mind instantly). There's nothing wrong with having favorite brands of gear (I do), but the reader has to realize that the reviews are done subjectively by comparing, often times "feelings", with some standard of goodness that's in the reviewers head. And, I'll have to say that many times their reviews are pretty good - just not objective or scientific in any way.

One of the best reviews they did was a couple of years ago when they had a shootout of, I think, 4-5 of the top all-mountain forks on the market. I thought they did a great job of setting up an experiment and comparing the forks objectively. Unfortunately, they really haven't done any shootouts in the same manner for a while.

Whatever. It's just a [very influential] magazine.
    - elivingston

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The main thing to remember is that the articles written in MBA are owned by the bike company. That is, if company X has a bike reviewed in MBA, it owns that article and can use that article for it's advertisement. Hence, they always have positives in the article that can be used in any future advertisement. Hence, take the positives with a grain of salt but read something into the negatives.

ZEN RIDER!
    MBA is a far cry from what they used to be as far as bike & gear reviews. One of the trends I have noticed over the years is they will try to equalize a companies bike reviews, especially if they gave one a rave review, the next bike always seems to get a toned down review. I forgot which bike & company they gave a so so review to after raving about another bike, but in the end of year review they ended up giving the bike they crapped on high marks & voted it one of thier favorites. That's going back about 2-3 yrs, maybe more as i am old & time flies by.

I would like to see more comprehensive reviews of frames & set ups. Not all bikes ride or are suited to Cali conditions. A bike that does well on the west coast will more than likely not be suited for NewEngland riding.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

MBA review

Like someone said, MBA loves Titus and S Cruz. I've noticed that in ask RC, Ells bikes never seem to get him excited. In fact, b/c of how much he obviously loves the Racer-X, Nomad, etc, I think he's letting you know he doesn't think much of, say a Truth, when he uses such mild compliments. But he never gives details about why he thinks they're so ho-hum. In contrast he raves on and on about the bikes he really likes.

MTB SOCAL

Intense

Besides Titus and Santa Cruz, RC also tends to give very positive reviews / remarks about Intense bikes. He has mentioned a few times that he rides an Intense 5.5. He also often recommends Intense products when reader ask for advice in his column.

But, back to the 08 Moment. I would like to hear from some of you after you ride the new Moment (and how you think it compares with the old). I'm toying with the idea of trading in my 06 for an 08.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

VooDoo user.
    I'll post up a review but its gonna be a while. Just sent out the fork to zoke. sold my wheels and have a few more dollars to save for the ells.

thats right living legend
    I thought the review was down right glowing! Anything negative could all be attributed to the wheels, which was prob true, and I felt the reader would be able to take that from it. I own a ML, and though since they reviewed it, they've gone on to say great things about it, but on their first review of it, it was obvious they hadn't ridden it. I'm talking al version here, and it was a great review, but they had all the facts wrong. Such as HA, amount of travel "HUH?" wieght, and the list goes on.

mtbr member

The revie is at the moment page on the ellsworth web site.

Its' a pdf.