mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Moment advice needed.

OK, here's the deal, I have a Moment that I bought in early 2005 (2005 model) and I have ridden and loved it dearly. But after three years, I've got the bug to get something new and as much as I've loved my moment, I'm going to try something different. Maybe an SX Trail, Transition Bottle Rocket, a 6.6, or even a Rogue in the 6" setup (Just moved to Kentucky and don't need more than 6-7" for anything here).

My question is should I sell just the frame or the entire bike and start from scratch. The delemma comes from the fact that I just put a bunch of 2007 upgrades on it and have barely used them. Here's my current spec:

2005 Moment frame with a 2006 DHX Air
    2007 Marzocchi 66SL ATA
    2007 Spinery Xyclone Enduro Wheelset
    2007 Avid Juicy 7
    Brand new Kenda Nevegal 2.35
    Brand new Race Face Diabolus Handlebars
    2005 Chris King Headset
    2006 Easton Vice Stem (could sell with the 05 Thomson)
    2007 SDG I-beam post and saddle
    2005 Race Face Atlas Crankset
    2005 Candy SL pedals
    2005 XT levers and front der.
    2007 LX rear der.
    Brand new ODI Rogue Grips

So if I sell just the frame and build up my new ride with these bits, what's an 05 Moment frame with an 06 DHX Air worth? If I sell the entire bike, what's it worth and will anyone pay what it is really worth with all the 07 bits since it will still be seen as a "2005"?

I'm not really looking for a bunch of don't buy this or don't buy that comments, it's not like I don't love the bike, I'm just ready to try something different that I can use as a more freeride dedicated ride.

Thanks for the help.

MTB SOCAL
    I would probably sell the frame alone and keep the bits / parts for a new build. Unless, you don't think you will want to use the parts on your new bike.

05 Moment - frame alone will probably fetch $700-900 depending on condition.

05 Moment built up will probably get you $1300-1500. If it's in amazing condition and you take lots of nice pics - you may be able to get closer to $1800. Just a guess.

Good luck.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

Custom User Title
    I was thinking of doing the same thing.

I was looking at the 6.6 frame. I would have just moved all of my parts to that frame and then hang the Moment on the wall as a piece of art work. I have an '04 Dare doing just that right now. I don't need the money so I just don't care if I sell anything. Also my Moment is built pretty nice so I would rather transfer parts anyway.

So I would look for a frame with the geo I want for the type of riding I'll be doing and swap parts out. That's just what I would do.

Oh yea, the 6.6 looks sik with a Totem.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

VooDoo user.
    I'm thinking price could be around $900-1100 for just the frame. Again depending on condition it could be less. $1100 would really be a top dollar for a '05 frame.

P.s. the Bottle rocket is more of a slopstyle bike. You need to look @ the Preston FR. Just my .02

Good luck.

MTB SOCAL
    I don't think it'll fetch that much, unless it's almost new.

My buddy bought his 05 moment in early 06 - brand new frame for $1199.

I bought my 06 Moment in mid 06 - brand new frame for $1650.

I think I paid $1300 for my lightly used Rogue and $1700 for my new Epiphany.

Used frames - even if it's used only for 1 ride will depreciate considerably.

But, I could be wrong. Your best bet is to ask for more and see if it sells.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have to disagree with yangpei on this. While he got some incredible deals, he's speaking from what I'd call a buyers perspective. One, who's obviously pretty good at finding deals. If you check completed listings on eBay, you'll see that similarly spec'd Moments have sold for $2100-over $3000. It doesn't mean every bike will sell for that much, but it's about creating the right advertisement and finding the right buyer. Some don't sell at $1200 just because the right buyer wasn't shopping at that time.

Also, this is not the best time to sell a bike if you want to get the most money, it's a buyers market in the fall since biking is winding down. At the right time of year (early summer) you could probably get $1000-1200 for the frame alone. and a bunch for some of those parts like the fork, wheels, headset, brakes, etc. I'd try to sell the package for a bunch first and if that doesn't work, part it out.

MTB SOCAL
    Good points, phatfreeheeler. I agree that with a good ad and proper timing, he can definitely fetch more for his Moment. But, it is an 05 - which is soon to be 3 model years old. Some of the completed listings Moments are newer frames / bikes.

It's definitely not the best time to sell a bike. Parts of the country are getting snow already and people are moving towards interests other than mountain biking. Also, around the holidays, people tend to be more cost conscious because holiday gifts / travel / etc can be expensive.
    Kokopelli Racing