mtbr member
    May 2006

Moment or 6 Pack

I need the opinion and expertise of my fellow riders. I am selling my 575 because there is too many of them here in Colorado! I'm not kidding either. Dont' get me wrong, I like the performance of 575, it climbs and descent well & pretty good on technical stuff, I've rode it so much that I know its capability. But I want something unique, badass, and has more quality and feature than the 575. Am i thinking of the right bike? Moment or 6 Pack...

Rolling
    If your sole criteria is unique, get a Ventana.

There are plenty of Turners and Ellsworths around here too these days.

I remember I was one of the very few who had an Ellsworth, then Sports Garage started selling them. Now there are several Turner dealers as well.

Otherwise, I would keep the 575.

Then there is always the concept of you trading your 575 for my Id! :P

Time is not a road.
    Then don't get either of these two bikes...everyone has one in CO! It depends where you live, though, I suppose.

It seems to me that there are a lot of 575s everywhere. Everytime a guy asks what bike he should buy, 5 people say "575!". Another five say "MotoLite!"

I will say this, as a Moment owner: The bike is versatile and efficient (even w/o a lot of platform damping). It's more of a heavy-duty trail bike in the sense that its angles are really more on the XC spectrum than DH spectrum. In that regard, it's fork sweet spot is 140-150mm. This works out for me, because I'm not a hucker. If you are, you may find the RFX more suited to that type of riding.

Craftsmanship is good. Durability seems good - the bike is three years old now and I've only "heard" of one cracked frame, never seen any. Customer service has improved but still has improvements to make and a reputation to build.

It will ride differently than the 575 and it has a better variety of options with regard to shock choice. It will probably be heavier, but not by much.

Good luck! Maybe all the Moment guys can show you some pix to give you an idea of what were running these days...

Why aren't you riding????
    get a nicolai and never have this conversation again.

VooDoo user.
    My only gripe about the Moment is the Bearings. I've been on one for a season and a half and will need to replace them all soon.

I really like the Idea of the greasable bushings on the RFX and the Versus Blitz II.

Also as chad mentioned the Moment is a little XC ish in its geo. and my riding style is becoming more aggressive DH with very light FR. So the bike I'm looking forward to testing is the Chumba Evo. I'm thinking this would be a better bet for my DH tendancies. But thats all just speculation at this point.

Good luck with your decision. WIth all the Sweet 6" bikes out right now you have a lot of work in front of you. Get out there and demo some.

LATER

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I love the flexibility of my moment.

When I first got my moment I ran it with the air shock (Fox Float) it came with and a Fox Talas 125 fork. In this set up it was pretty light and made a great XC bike.

I then replaced the shock with a DHX 5 coil and some time later I replaced the fork with a Fox Van 36 RC2 which made it a fun bike for aggressive trail riding. I also took this set up abroad to do some lift assisted downhill trails. Although not a downhill bike it fared pretty well in comparison to my mates who all had downhill rigs.

I agree with Chad about the optimum fork travel being about 140mm. I will be getting another fork with this travel and this set up will be how I will mainly ride my bike with the exception of trips abroad when I will replace the fork with the Van 36.

Good luck with your choice which ever way you go.

mtbr member
    The Moment is a superior bike. I've enjoyed mine for 2 years, and plan on keeping it for many more. In fact, I just upgraded it with a 36 TALAS, e-thirteen DRS, bashguard/chainguide, and a new Hadley/Mavic wheelset.

I'm really stoked on how great the combinatin of big fork and bolt/thru-axles has transformed the bike. The ride is noticeably better, and the look of the bike with the 36 fork is just amazing.

I'm glad I got the TALAS fork for the Moment... I think the geometry of the bike kind-of begs for a 140mm fork, but I'm beginning to like the feel of the longer 160mm setting. Although I don't switch between 130mm and 160mm often, it's nice to have the option of lowering the travel.

I'd say give the Moment a shot! You won't be disapointed.
    - elivingston

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Moment over the 6 Pack....Packs are for donut eating gravity dropping posers

My top pick would have to be a Knolly Endorphin at this point