Thread: Moment

mtbr member

Moment

Has anybody out there seen an Ellsworth Moment in the flesh, ridden one, tested one or have any feedback on them. If anyone has any pics other than the website ones that would be cool. I am seriously thinking of buying one of these but none have arrived in the UK yet. Its between this or an Intense 5.5. Any advice or feedback would be greatfully recieved. I have never owned an Ellsworth before -any good??

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    I think it's going to be a while before you see any built up ones. April release my AZZ,

ajr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stuss
    Has anybody out there seen an Ellsworth Moment in the flesh, ridden one, tested one or have any feedback on them. If anyone has any pics other than the website ones that would be cool. I am seriously thinking of buying one of these but none have arrived in the UK yet. Its between this or an Intense 5.5. Any advice or feedback would be greatfully recieved. I have never owned an Ellsworth before -any good??
    I had a good look at one at Interbike,it looked ok.

mtbr member
    I have never owned an Ellsworth before -any good??
    Like most (if not all) bike manufacturers, Ells has had a few design problems in the past, but these have been addressed and changed. They have also had some customer service issues, but in my opinion, these are also a thing of the past. As for the current company, I'd buy another one of their bikes in a second. Currently I own a 2003 Isis but am lusting after a California Edition ID. Any negative posts you see on this board pertain to past grievances.

Sorry, but I have no comment on the Moment, except that it looks like a freakin sweet bike.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

www.ellsworthbikes.com
    We sent one Moment to Freeborn in the UK after Interbike so they could test/ride/photograph, etc. and one to Japan for the same purposes.

We will have two built (production geometry) Moments at Sea Otter and the upcoming SoCal 24 Hour events...come see us and you will probably get a chance to ride one.

Thanks - mondo
    Last edited by The Real Mondo; 03-25-2004 at 08:24 PM.
    Those that ride, know.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by TT.
    I think it's going to be a while before you see any built up ones. April release my AZZ,
    IMO..whatever the wait it will be worth it. If you are looking for a 6" travel bike that is not quite a hucker but not XC race either the Moment has excellent potential. It sits between the Id and Dare in their line-up. Mondo posted yesterday that they should start appearing in shops around May.

Not sure it is an equal comparrision (long travel w/ XC oriented geometry) to the 5.5, but the Id would be.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Real Mondo
    We sent one Moment to Freeborn in the UK after Interbike so they could test/ride/photograph, etc.

We have three rolling protos that we have been riding and bringing to local(SoCal) bike shops and magazines. We will have two built (production geometry) Moments at Sea Otter and the upcoming SoCal 24 Hour events...come see us and you will probably get a chance to ride one.

Thanks - mondo

Mondo

I have read your comparisons between the ID and the Moment on another thread. I was just wondering what style of riding each bike caters for. Just trying to make sure I choose the right frame - Is the Moment a good climber?? I am looking for a bike that can go anywhere, take some big hits (in the XC sense - not DH) and climb well (very important) ID or Moment. I ride a SC Blur at the moment and have had problems with shock bushings keep going. I need something that can take some abuse yet perform like a XC bike. ID has not been very well recieved in the UK for some reason according to Freeborn. I think the ID looks like a wicked bike but have never had the opportunity to ride one.

Cheers mate

Stuss
    Last edited by stuss; 03-25-2004 at 01:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Moment's head tube angle is raked out a half degree beyond the Id's, and with heavier construction packs another half pound on the scales. Climbing advantage: Id.
    I know the Id climbs well, and the Moment - "Id on steroids" - isn't so much different (slackened geometry and lower center of gravity). Courtesy of ict combined with a stable-platform shock, you'll be solid in the tail either way. Both bikes should take any abuse that responsible xc riding can dish out; the Moment more than the Id, for reasons of its aforementioned heavy construction - more than you need? that's your call.
    Personally, the big advantage of the Moment, for me, is the additional 2.5" of standover (medium frames) that relaxes what was otherwise an 'intimate' relationship between myself and the top tube of the Id. For reasons of self-presservation I like the Moment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boykinw
    The Moment's head tube angle is raked out a half degree beyond the Id's, and with heavier construction packs another half pound on the scales. Climbing advantage: Id.
    I know the Id climbs well, and the Moment - "Id on steroids" - isn't so much different (slackened geometry and lower center of gravity). Courtesy of ict combined with a stable-platform shock, you'll be solid in the tail either way. Both bikes should take any abuse that responsible xc riding can dish out; the Moment more than the Id, for reasons of its aforementioned heavy construction - more than you need? that's your call.
    Personally, the big advantage of the Moment, for me, is the additional 2.5" of standover (medium frames) that relaxes what was otherwise an 'intimate' relationship between myself and the top tube of the Id. For reasons of self-presservation I like the Moment.
    cheers mate

mtbr member

Frame weight

Quote Originally Posted by boykinw
    with heavier construction packs another half pound on the scales.
    Where do you get your info? The Ellsworth site lists the frame weights of the Id and Moment as exactly the same. I'm assuming these weights are with shock, but the shock options listed are exactly the same.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Dude, Check the New MBA

Mountain Bike Action has all the poop on the Moment.
    "New Benchmark for Aggro Trailbike"
    Shows a guy hucking off a cliff
    Hottest bike for 2005
    When can I get one???

www.ellsworthbikes.com

Id weight/Moment weight...

Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja
    Where do you get your info? The Ellsworth site lists the frame weights of the Id and Moment as exactly the same. I'm assuming these weights are with shock, but the shock options listed are exactly the same.

The weights being the same is a typo....I will have that fixed by Monday (I hope). The Moment is approx. 1/3lb heavier than the Id.

I will post more descriptive weights tomorrow when I am in the office.

Thanks - mondo
    Those that ride, know.

www.ellsworthbikes.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnee Ragdoll
    Mountain Bike Action has all the poop on the Moment.
    "New Benchmark for Aggro Trailbike"
    Hottest bike for 2005
    When can I get one???
    You will start seeing them in the bike shops towards the end of May....be patient; it will be worth it.

Thanks - mondo
    Those that ride, know.

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    my buddy's got one on order. we can hardly wait to see this badboy
    I Ride, I Know

not so super...

New question here. Question for Mondo

You will start seeing them in the bike shops towards the end of May....be patient; it will be worth it.

Thanks - mondo
    Just wondering how roomy will the rear stays be on the Moment? Did you make adjustments to accommodate the trend toward larger tires? I'm currently running a 2.35 Blue Groove and it is a tight fit on my Joker but works as long as I keep the rim true.

Thanks
    Nothing to see here.

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnee Ragdoll

This is going to create confusion again about the purpose of this frame
    correct me, but I thought this was more of a trail frame than a huckster
    It looks like it will be able to handle 4-5 footers once in a while, but not sure if I'd want to roll off a cliff on it
    I Ride, I Know

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    IMO..whatever the wait it will be worth it. If you are looking for a 6" travel bike that is not quite a hucker but not XC race either the Moment has excellent potential. It sits between the Id and Dare in their line-up. Mondo posted yesterday that they should start appearing in shops around May.

Not sure it is an equal comparrision (long travel w/ XC oriented geometry) to the 5.5, but the Id would be.

Should be an equal comparrison seeing as both companies are billing them as go anywhere, do anything all mountain bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Just wondering how roomy will the rear stays be on the Moment? Did you make adjustments to accommodate the trend toward larger tires? I'm currently running a 2.35 Blue Groove and it is a tight fit on my Joker but works as long as I keep the rim true.

Thanks
    According to Freeborn (uk Ellsworth distributor) they are making the tyre clearence larger at the rear for the UK market and that is the reason for the delay. It gets pretty muddy in our part of the world and we need plenty of room for chunky tyres.

www.ellsworthbikes.com
    The weights being the same is a typo....I will have that fixed by Monday (I hope). The Moment is approx. 1/3lb heavier than the Id.

I will post more descriptive weights tomorrow when I am in the office.

Thanks - mondo
    Moment 15" = 5.77lbs
    Moment 17" = 6.04lbs
    Moment 19" = 6.17lbs

Id 15" = 5.29lbs
    Id 17" = 5.46lbs
    Id 19" = 5.55lbs

This is without shocks.

Thanks - mondo
    Those that ride, know.

mtbr member
    what are the shock eye to eye and the shock travel on the moment?

thanks

Mtb & Bassoon player
    According to Freeborn (uk Ellsworth distributor) they are making the tyre clearence larger at the rear for the UK market

Only for the UK market?

Thanks!
    Pali