mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Miss my old HL 5.Spot: How close is the Moment?

Hi all,
    I sold my 2005 Horst link 5.Spot last year for what I thought was an upgrade to a Santa Cruz Nomad VPP2. After a few months of riding the Nomad, I've really come to feel "meh" about it. It's great on the downhills and even has some bike -park days on it, but in the tight woods of the northeast, it feels "big and dumb" at times.

The 5.Spot really accelerated when I "got on it"...the Nomad feels like I'm always riding on a combination of pine needles and mud. It's really sluggish even though it weighs 1.5 pounds less than my 5.Spot. I'm not a fan of the peddle feedback on the Nomad either.Standing grinds in the granny gear feel so awful, I'm forced to sit and spin.

I do like the lateral stiffness of the Nomad however. The 5.Spot felt flexy in the rear when pushed hard through corners.

Since the Spot used the ICT rear end, I'm thinking the Moment might be the closest in ride characteristics to the old Spot.

Anyone have some experience with the Moment and older Spot?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Rear travel wise, the Epiphany may be a better match.
    On paper,the rear suspension should behave similar, but closer inspection
    to their geometry may give you a better idea about handling

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I would agree. I've ridden the HL Spot and I have a 2005 Moment. The Moment is much more plush than the Spot. Although the Moment's pedaling is very efficient it's quite a bit heavier and the Epiphany's pedaling is more responsive and very close to the Spot. The Truth, Epiphany and the Spot are very close in pedaling characteristics.

However, the Epiphany has 70-degree HA compared to the Spot's much more slack 68-degree HA so it will feel more XC than the Spot. Moment and the Spot have very similar HA.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    In addition, the TNT Spot would also be very, very close to the HL Spot. I've ridden both and personally I couldn't tell the difference. DW Spot is a different animal and to me it didn't "feel" nearly as active or plush as HL or TNT. DW Spot feels closer to the Maestral.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic View Post
    I would agree. I've ridden the HL Spot and I have a 2005 Moment. The Moment is much more plush than the Spot. Although the Moment's pedaling is very efficient it's quite a bit heavier and the Epiphany's pedaling is more responsive and very close to the Spot. The Truth, Epiphany and the Spot are very close in pedaling characteristics.

However, the Epiphany has 70-degree HA compared to the Spot's much more slack 68-degree HA so it will feel more XC than the Spot. Moment and the Spot have very similar HA.
    The spot has been getting slacker year after year. When the spot sported the HL its head angle was no less than 69 degrees, close to the epiphany's published 70

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That is true, while Ellsworth HA has stayed consistent over the years.

The other day I read in a magazine comment that "69-degree HA is considered cross country"! Things have changed.

a tight kick sound
    What you really should be asking is how close is a short shock moment to a 5 spot
    Mine kicks booty all over the place. I had a 2006 5 spot HL for a couple years and it was an awesome bike. Only found one better since then.
    I am now on a 2008 moment with a slightly shorter air shock. With ~20% sag I can stand and hammer in any gear combo at any time. No worries. With a really poor rear hub, bad chain and very small little ring I get some lagging in the pedal strokes but no big deal.

One thing, the moment with a coil and some big wheels and slightly larger fork is a whole different beast compared to the spot. I would have no problem tossing this hefty built moment into nasty situations and not worry about ditching it. I can't say the same for the spot.

Think of the short shock moment like a 5 pack. Remember that thing?