mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Merlin 525, interested?

I paid for a sale ad and wanted to post up here as well.. since this is very similar to an Elsworth Epiphany. It uses the ICT rear triangle, this is a 2010 model.
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...?product=55269

If you are interested in this bike, know that you should probably lower the fork to 120mm, it will handle better. I think 140 is too tall even though Merlin says it should work. If it doesn't sell, I plan to do this. I bought it as a pseudo-xc bike and haven't found myself doing any XC style riding.. I think that's fireroad now? I don't know. I just do trail riding.

I'm also interested in selling just the frame. Let me know if anyone is interested. I'd take 1700 for it. It's a Medium/17.5".

Anyway, if you're looking for a 25-26 lb. lightning bolt that's fast has hell and can climb anything, let me know.

-Carl

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That's not an ICT rear triangle, it's a "faux-bar" single pivot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Oops.. I better go scratch off where they painted "ICT" on it then. Thanks, I'll let Merlin know they messed up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Interesting. They call it "Merlin four-bar linkage" on their website. Looks like the same design. Note that Ells has the pivot on the chainstay vice the seatstay. That's the key to a four bar linkage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I thought they may have signed an agreement with Ellsworth for the latest model. (I don't know, just guessing) Or maybe the one I got they literally forgot to take the ICT logos off the rear triangle at Ells.. Either way, the rear is awesome and works as advertised.. not very bobby at all.. feels like a hard tail until you need it.. really efficient.
    -C

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Price reduction:
    $4,000 for the whole bike.
    $1,600 for the frame and seatpost.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    weird. That is a single pivot bike. Maybe they got tired of paying ellsworth. Looks like a Turner rear end after they dropped ICT and before they went to DW link.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I paid for a sale ad and wanted to post up here as well.. since this is very similar to an Elsworth Epiphany. It uses the ICT rear triangle, this is a 2010 model.

sorry, your info is complete B.S.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks, Hamstead.. you sound like a fountain of knowledge and with excellent communication skills! I should be so lucky.

In any case, the rear triangle has the Ellsworth ICT logo on it.. my bad for misunderstanding something so clearly identified. The logo is visible in my photos also if you were so inclined to go look instead of simply being the typical **** behind a keyboard.

In any case, the frame is sold. It is a nice frame and I'm sure the new owner will enjoy it. I will be sure to include an ICT logo removal kit so as not to offend anyone.. sheesh!

-C

mtbr member

Sweet!

That is a sweet setup. A good friend of mine rides that same frame and he loves it, very light and xc-ish. That is not a single pivot-but a faux bar setup. I have the same set up on my 08' 5 spot.
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    A Faux-Bar is a single pivot that looks similar to a Four-Bar, but is not. Hence the name. (Faux means fake or imitation.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    In any case, the rear triangle has the Ellsworth ICT logo on it.. my bad for misunderstanding something so clearly identified. The logo is visible in my photos also if you were so inclined to go look instead of simply being the typical **** behind a keyboard.

it basically has an ICT sticker on there - but this does not make it an Ellsworth ICT rear triangle

for starters?

your frame had a rocker-activated single pivot setup (faux-bar)

Ellsworth's ICT uses a chainstay-pivot virtual pivot setup (four-bar / FSR / ICT)

your rockers looked nothing like Ellsworth rockers

we've been selling Ellsworth for 10+ years so this is not some made-up knowledge

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Ict

Bought the bike from Carlman and must say - SWEET RIDE!! Thanks Carl - excellent service and great packing!

The season is just starting here in Thailand so I will be out enjoying the bike with it's Ellsworth patented ICT rear end. Mr. Hemp Bandit snow start flying yet? . . . I am sure the cold season will give you ample time to further your research into such a vexing question - could the Merlin 525 really employ the Ellsworth patented ICT . . . ? When you find out, let me know because it will certainly change the way the bike performs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jbclair
    Bought the bike from Carlman and must say - SWEET RIDE!! Thanks Carl - excellent service and great packing!

The season is just starting here in Thailand so I will be out enjoying the bike with it's Ellsworth patented ICT rear end. Mr. Hemp Bandit snow start flying yet? . . . I am sure the cold season will give you ample time to further your research into such a vexing question - could the Merlin 525 really employ the Ellsworth patented ICT . . . ? When you find out, let me know because it will certainly change the way the bike performs.
    Ignorance is bliss

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hampstead bandit
    .... the rear triangle has the Ellsworth ICT logo on it.. .

it basically has an ICT sticker on there - but this does not make it an Ellsworth ICT rear triangle

for starters?

your frame had a rocker-activated single pivot setup (faux-bar)

Ellsworth's ICT uses a chainstay-pivot virtual pivot setup (four-bar / FSR / ICT)

your rockers looked nothing like Ellsworth rockers

we've been selling Ellsworth for 10+ years so this is not some made-up knowledge
    Hi there, just bought as well a 5.25 with the Ellsworth logo but the pivot is as well on the seat stays.

I only wondered:
    a) is Merlin allowed to use the ICT logo in this way -- has anyone asked Merlin directly?
    b) would it be a "solution" to use a Epiphany setup instead, are there Merlin bikes around with the original Ellsworth four bar?
    c) whats the difference to the Ellsworth Oracle, who really made that one?

Regards, from snowy hills of Bavaria

X

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xanthippex
    H....
    a) is Merlin allowed to use the ICT logo in this way -- has anyone asked Merlin directly?
    b) would it be a "solution" to use a Epiphany setup instead, are there Merlin bikes around with the original Ellsworth four bar?.....

X
    I asked Merlin directly, the ICT logo should not be used, the rear end isn't a Ellsworth ICT design.

....still a great working frame
    Regards
    X

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hey X, thanks for taking the initiative to find out more info from Merlin. Much more helpful than some here.
    -Carl