Thread: Med vs Long

Ologist

Med vs Long

I have to replace my rear dérailleur on my 2003 ID which has a xt long cage but I got some advice suggesting that I use a medium. I am looking to purchase a shadow xt. Anyone using a medium on their ID or have suggestions?

earth surfer
    RD length will depend on your cassette/chain ring combination. If you're running 3 chain rings in front and 11-34 in the rear, you'll need the long cage. If you ditch the biggest ring in front, you should be good with a medium.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have an 03 Id and xt shadow medium cage derrailleur with 3 chainrings up front and I believe 11:34 cassette works fine.

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by knightrider81
    I have an 03 Id and xt shadow medium cage derrailleur with 3 chainrings up front and I believe 11:34 cassette works fine.
    Was it any harder to dial it in or keep it adjusted right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    No problems.. .it's beeen good. The shadow is nice... if I were to do it alll over again though I would go SRAM. I just demo'd x9 and it was superior to XT

Silver bullet

No problem.

I have X9 mid cage on a Truth, Moment and Evolve with 11:34 cassette on rear and 3 rings on front of all bikes. I know the bikes and derrailleurs are all different than what you're considering but it's the size como that matters: mid cage, 11:34 cassette and 3 rings up front.
    I started with the mid cage for clearance issues, I ripped 3 derraillers off last year. I found that is shifts crisper and have had fewer problems catching sticks and there's less chain slap. I've been thinking about trying a Shadow but after reading knightrider81's post I probably won't.
    It shifts fine and adjusts just as easy as anything else. The only thing you have to be careful of is that you don't run your chain in the 2 biggest rings(big ring in front and 34 tooth on back). The chain will be to short for this and could damage the derrailleur or chain. Running the chain it that combination is bad to do for a number of reasons anyway. Most don't use that combo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Will X-9 work with new XT shifters?
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by djb55
    I have X9 mid cage on a Truth, Moment and Evolve with 11:34 cassette on rear and 3 rings on front of all bikes. I know the bikes and derrailleurs are all different than what you're considering but it's the size como that matters: mid cage, 11:34 cassette and 3 rings up front.
    I started with the mid cage for clearance issues, I ripped 3 derraillers off last year. I found that is shifts crisper and have had fewer problems catching sticks and there's less chain slap. I've been thinking about trying a Shadow but after reading knightrider81's post I probably won't.
    It shifts fine and adjusts just as easy as anything else. The only thing you have to be careful of is that you don't run your chain in the 2 biggest rings(big ring in front and 34 tooth on back). The chain will be to short for this and could damage the derrailleur or chain. Running the chain it that combination is bad to do for a number of reasons anyway. Most don't use that combo.
    Thanks I just wanted to get some real world perspective. I know it would work in theory I just wanted to find out if anyone had any probs beside cross chaining. It is just big big and little little that should be problematic as I understand it.