mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Lovin the fox RP23

So I finally got to try the RP23 on my ID. It's a 7.875"x 2.25" and it is by far my favorite shock so far on the bike. I used the highest propedal setting since I'm getting ready to use it in a 24 hr race. You can definately tell the diference in the settings. Feels super solid and quick. Best of all, when I forgot to flip it to open, I still was having a blast flying downhill. The AM1 fork is well balanced with this shock, I flip the two switches, push the front end down and just climb. Flip them back and fly downhill. At ~29# it's pretty light for a 6 & 6 bike with 2.35 Nevegals & reasonably strong wheels.

This is the 4th shock I've tried on this bike. (1) Romic 7.875"x2" - didn't like the stiffer spring required to prevent harsh bottom outs (2)Romic 7.875"x2.25" - loved the plushness, and cranked the compression for climbs, but almost 1lb heavier than air (3) Fox RP3 7.875"x2" - again, I missed the ability to run it uberplush without harsh bottom outs.

I would love to try the RP23 on a moment frame now.

Paste eater
    Indeed, I have it on my Titus Motolite and the "3" position sure is impressive... I stand an mash with almost no bob... At the moment I'm jumping between open and 1 -- open for downhills and other such bumpy stuff... I flip it on to "1" and there is a noticeable platform. I may give "2" a try.

ಠ_ಠ
    What's the bb height on your ID with a 2.25" shock?

Time is not a road.
    I really like this shock just wide open on the Moment. I do use the 1 setting on some climbing and road riding, but anything rocky and technical, I like it fully open. The bike does a good job of filtering out any unwanted movement anyway, so the good damping of the RP23 just enhances the ride. Overall, much better than the somewhat "spikey" DHX Coil it replaced. And much ligher, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Any idea what the Outside Diameter of that shock body is?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    15.5" - 69 deg HA at most with the 150mm AM1. It might even be 68 deg. This was a great setup for building skills and confidence, but I wouldn't mind if it was 14.5" high now. Just to make the steepest downhills feels less sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by MC9.5
    It's the larger volume can so it's ~1.75" in diameter.

After the race, I'll probably use "2" instead of "3", but it didn't seem to lose traction due to the stiffness and it has a great hammer and go feel. It just feels like a 3" travel race bike but when you jump or hit something bigger and fast, you get more

earth surfer
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    BB height will stay the same with any 7 7/8" shock regardless of the travel.

Time is not a road.
    I just flipped mine around and there is about 1mm of clearance for the air valve. It moves to the inside of the rocker:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Are you still impressed with the 7.875 x 2.25 or would you go back to the 2.0 stroke? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yeah, I'm still much happier with the 2.25" stroke shock. I'm gonna sell the 2" shock. The only reason I would go back to a 2" is to go to the cali edition. I'd lower the whole bike to work with a Talas fork using a 7.5 i2i shock. The bike will probably end up that way someday to make it a perfect endurance race bike. I'm not yet sure if that will be this year or next because then I'd want a 33 lb bike with ~6.5" of travel both front and rear for my all mountain ride. Nothing really out currently that I like so I'll probably keep using the ID in 6" mode. I wish the moment would get a little more travel.